Total Damage - A tiny add-on

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Blue Shadow

Total Damage - A tiny add-on

Post by Blue Shadow »

Total Damage - February 14th, 2014

Total Damage (aka, "How good are you at not taking damage?" :P ) is a tiny add-on I created 3 years ago, and later revisited and gave it a revamp (better code and graphics). It simply displays the total damage you took through out your campaign of a map or mapset on the screen. Optionally, it'll also display armor damage (the option is off by default. To toggle it on, type: "nc_td_armor_toggle 1" in the console [without the quotes]).
Spoiler: Screenshot (just to avoid confusion, the add-on is not part of the HUD you see here)
Spoiler: Why did you create this silly thing, Blue Shadow?
I played through all four episodes of Doom and also Doom 2 (vanilla, without gameplay mods) on Ultra-Violence difficulty, achieving 100% kills, items and secrets. This is how much damage I took by the end of each game (does anyone think they can do better? :wink: ):
Spoiler: Playthrough Results
Note: Due to how it's coded, the damage calculated isn't 100% accurate at times; this only happens if you take damage and heal in the very same tic. Still, the results should be accurate enough, I'd say.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
HavoX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Total Damage - A tiny add-on

Post by HavoX »

That sounds like a great concept! I'll take a look at it later, because I have to go to church in a few hours.
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

This is interesting. Typing kill in the console provides results and doesn't take up the whole screen. Well done. :P
I actually do enjoy this addon!
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Great add-on and a very good idea :D

I like it :)
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

This is a really good idea, would help a player develop skills, instead of just trying to bull through. I've checked it out {quickly} with a couple different mods, doesn't seem to cause any problems, either.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

FireHusky wrote:Typing kill in the console provides results and doesn't take up the whole screen. Well done. :P
Yeah, the damage is capped to 99,999.
Ferguson wrote:I've checked it out {quickly} with a couple different mods, doesn't seem to cause any problems, either.
If the mod or mods you're loading this with have global arrays with the same index number that's currently used in the add-on, a conflict might happen in this case.

I updated the add-on with a very minor change; the damage counter uses a brighter font color. I also played through The Shores of Hell. I did a lot better here than the in my playthrough of the first episode :) :
Spoiler:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

May i include this add-on in my mod's HUD?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Do as you please.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Blue Shadow wrote:Do as you please.
Thank you, i appreciate it :)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

My run through Inferno wasn't as successful as I hoped. I accidentally blasted myself with a rocket while fighting the Cyberdemon in Warrens, and took more damage than I'm supposed to from the Spider Mastermind in Dis.
Spoiler:
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Blue Shadow wrote:My run through Inferno wasn't as successful as I hoped. I accidentally blasted myself with a rocket while fighting the Cyberdemon in Warrens, and took more damage than I'm supposed to from the Spider Mastermind in Dis.

You've done better during three Episodes than I have in two levels during a my recorded play-through of Hellbound, good job.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Heh, yeah, but I'd imagine what you're playing is far harder than the original Doom's first three episodes.

Anyway, episode four is done. Predictably, this is the worst result of all episodes:
Spoiler:
PaskaTykki

Post by PaskaTykki »

This is very nice add-on. I always hope to see after finishing level, how much damage i did take. Can you also add armor loss?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

PaskaTykki wrote:Can you also add armor loss?
Why not. :wink:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The OP has been updated with a new version that features support for different aspect ratios and all that jazz (hopefully!).

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”