[Released] Wrath of Cronos with heXercise

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CrazyEyes

[Released] Wrath of Cronos with heXercise

Post by CrazyEyes »

Latest: 1.032 (1/21/14)
WoC Version: 1.6C
This mod is exactly what it sounds like. I like the extra features and difficulty of Wrath of Cronos, but heXercise has always been one of my favorite mods, even if it makes the game easier. So, I took the time to splice heXercise's weapons into Wrath of Cronos, and rebalance them. I like documenting my own work, even if it's trivial, so I figured, why not throw it up on the ZDoom forum since I already have a changelog.

Changelog
The changelog can be found here at my Pastebin. It will update anytime I update the PK3.

Overview
I would like to thank both Lloyd and Thetis for making the best mods for Hexen on the market today. I take no credit for anything in this PK3 or even my own work to put it together, because it was so simple Well I guess shit has gotten crazier faster than I thought it would so yeah, I take credit for the additional changes in this PK3. More credits to come if I end up using other peoples' assets.
Thanks to Crudux Cruo for his Fighter uppercut sprites.

First, if you have never played HeXercise, I advise you to go to Lloyd's thread here and read up on the weapon changes, and perhaps even play the mod yourself.
Next, if you have never played Wrath of Cronos, then I advise you to go to Thetis's thread here and read up on everything EXCEPT the changes to the vanilla Hexen weapons.
That is the basic overview of what's in this PK3. This PK3 behaves like Wrath of Cronos; there is a main PK3 (woc16c_hexercise) and several patches, which should be applied as relevant to which IWAD you are playing. (Not Hexen for every non-Hexen IWAD, plus Doom for Doom and Heretic for Heretic)

What follows is the detailed changes and rebalancing, which can also be found on the changelog pastebin:
Spoiler:
These changes are my initial release of the mod, and while I haven't changed any of the fundamental mechanics of the weapons (yet), check the changelog for any tweaks I've made.

Video
Sorry for the stuttering. That's only in the video; I'd probably kill myself if I had to play the game like that. I don't usually record myself playing games.

Download
You can also click the "Latest" version at the top.
WoC 1.6C + HeXercise, v1.032

FAQ
Why did you make this?
For myself to enjoy.

Will you add/change/remove XYZ?
If you want to leave suggestions, I will consider it, but I made this mod for myself, so if I don't like your suggestion for any reason, I won't care. Feel free to try to convince me, though.

When will you release the next version?
I don't really plan on releasing new versions unless I find something that I missed, or discover some behavior in the mod that irks me. I will update this mod when WoC updates, assuming that I want to play the latest version of WoC with my mod. If you find any bugs, please post them here and I'll fix them. Otherwise, don't hold your breath for a new version with new content, or something. This is a low-commitment project.
Last edited by CrazyEyes on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Patriot1776

Re: [Released] Wrath of Cronos with heXercise

Post by Patriot1776 »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Very nice, I was playing through it with some Doom levels and it all worked great. Now if only someone could make Hexen's base levels better. :P
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

It's really awesome playing with the heXercise weapons, they are indeed fun to use, and makes the characters feel truly powerful.

There is only one slight problem I found: When playing on Heretic, the Fighter's weapons, for the most part, don't work on ghost type monsters, Nitro Golems and ghost warriors to be precise. That's a feature that comes from Wrath of Cronos itself, and it could be overcome by using magic attacks such as the axe's ranged attack or Quietus' magic. However, since Hexercise makes it so the fighter depends more on strength and melee damage (which, in my opinion, is much better than depending on intellect) it makes certain wads, and indeed huge parts of Heretic near impossible to play.

I wonder if there would be any way to modify, or eliminate this feature altogether? I mean, I understand why it is there, ghosts being ethereal and immune to common weapons, but it truly ebbs away the fun one could have playing as a melee fighter or Cleric.
CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad you enjoy both of these mods as much as I do.
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:There is only one slight problem I found: When playing on Heretic, the Fighter's weapons, for the most part, don't work on ghost type monsters, Nitro Golems and ghost warriors to be precise. That's a feature that comes from Wrath of Cronos itself, and it could be overcome by using magic attacks such as the axe's ranged attack or Quietus' magic. However, since Hexercise makes it so the fighter depends more on strength and melee damage (which, in my opinion, is much better than depending on intellect) it makes certain wads, and indeed huge parts of Heretic near impossible to play.

I wonder if there would be any way to modify, or eliminate this feature altogether? I mean, I understand why it is there, ghosts being ethereal and immune to common weapons, but it truly ebbs away the fun one could have playing as a melee fighter or Cleric.
Hmm. That's an interesting point. I think I could do something like allow the Fighter to hit ghosts with Timon's Axe and/or the Hammer of Retribution, as long as he has mana for said weapon(s). He also still has the Vorpal Blade and Dragon Claw to deal with those enemies (although, the availability of such weapons heavily depends on what WAD you are playing through. I have not played through all of Heretic with the Fighter so I don't know how available those weapons are).
By the way, if you have been paying attention to the Editing forum, I'm working on making the Cleric's shield reflect projectiles in a much more offensive manner. I'm trying to make them reflect more "accurately" (i.e. towards the original shooter) and deal extra damage when you reflect them based on your Strength, since monster projectiles do low damage by default, which makes deflecting them in the first place not worth the effort.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This does indeed look fun. I'll have to check it out.
SallazarSpellcaster

CrazyEyes wrote:Hmm. That's an interesting point. I think I could do something like allow the Fighter to hit ghosts with Timon's Axe and/or the Hammer of Retribution, as long as he has mana for said weapon(s). He also still has the Vorpal Blade and Dragon Claw to deal with those enemies (although, the availability of such weapons heavily depends on what WAD you are playing through. I have not played through all of Heretic with the Fighter so I don't know how available those weapons are).
By the way, if you have been paying attention to the Editing forum, I'm working on making the Cleric's shield reflect projectiles in a much more offensive manner. I'm trying to make them reflect more "accurately" (i.e. towards the original shooter) and deal extra damage when you reflect them based on your Strength, since monster projectiles do low damage by default, which makes deflecting them in the first place not worth the effort.

It does depend on the WAD you play through. On vanilla Heretic you get the Dragonclaw on the second map, so it's not that troublesome. However, certain wads have nitrogolems galore on the first map, so they become quite a pain.

Having the weapons damage ghosts so long as they have mana is, I believe, the most logical choice. It is done in other mods and it works quite well, and in my opinion it makes sense. As for the projectile deflection, that'd actually be really awesome, I take it it'll also work for the Mage?
CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

As for the projectile deflection, that'd actually be really awesome, I take it it'll also work for the Mage?
Eh, maybe. I did this because it's another utility thing for the Cleric to have. My vision of him seems to be like some sort of holy Batman. Mage would benefit from something more along the lines of a short-lived but decent defensive ability, whereas the thing I'm doing for the Cleric is more offensive. Maybe I could replace the deflection with absorb projectile for mana (for the Mage) .
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Absorb Projectile to gain mana would be very fitting for the mage and give him a means to gain mana on maps where mana is in short supply.
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

Oh wow this looks badass. Gonna give it a go.
SallazarSpellcaster

Patriot1776 wrote:Absorb Projectile to gain mana would be very fitting for the mage and give him a means to gain mana on maps where mana is in short supply.
It is indeed really fitting for the Mage, and would be really cool to have. However, the Mage already has the Mana Charge ability, and well, when maxed it pretty much gives him infinite mana. Perhaps instead of mana he could regain health? I mean, the wand secondary looks like a necromancer spell, with the color palette it has. So, if the mage regains some health by absorbing projectiles, it could have a very defensive use for him, and serve as a means to heal himself beyond potions.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Sallazar, as always you come up with better ideas for magic-based stuff compared to me, I like that idea better too, brings more balance to the mage and a secondary way to regain health, minus obviously found accessories.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I noticed that while playing in Doom 1/2 with the nothexen patch and Doom patch the Cleric's shield is all messed up when it appears during swings. I'm guessing it's because it's not in the nothexen patch?
CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes »

Um, possibly. I don't think I've tested this mod much outside of Hexen yet. That is probably a simple fix, but I've really been trying to get this stupid deflection crap to work. It actually deflects now, but because it's not reflected by the +REFLECTIVE flag/effect, it doesn't damage the original shooter (in fact, it actually phases right through them, which is even stranger). I have done most of the fixes you all have mentioned in the meanwhile and they're all going to be in the next release. The exception being the mage wand secondary; absorbing for health sounds like a good idea, actually, since in my head it was a drain spell. I'd just have to make sure it's not better than Serpent Staff leeching, which I suppose wouldn't be much of an issue since the Serpent Staff is constant drain while the "drain" spell has a charge time and short cooldown.

Edit: Just fixed that last issue. Called SetPointer incorrectly, derp.

Double Edit: A quick update, I will go ahead and go through the other IWAD patches and make sure everything I just did is compatible with other IWADs.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

So in the next release, the Mage's wand/secondary will actually drain health and give it to the player? EXCELLENT. That will make the Mage a viable option for playing many DooM mappacks. Whenever playing DooM mappacks with WoC, I NEVER considered trying with the Mage OR the Fighter because of how quartz flasks/crystal potions are much more rare in DooM mappacks than HeXen/Heretic, it was Cleric only since the Cleric could heal themselves. Now that the Mage may be starting with a means to drain health from baddies and so not totally reliant on potions/flasks for health recovery, I can try a few DooM mappacks because I already LOVE how kick-arse the mage now is offensively.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”