[WIP] Software Brightmaps - Serpent Rider's Heretic Pack

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SerbianDoomer

[WIP] Software Brightmaps - Serpent Rider's Heretic Pack

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Big update
Serpent Rider has started work on a brightmap pack for Heretic to complement mine for Doom! Download link and screenshots of this pack added to first post.

Download:
bmaps.pk3
SerbianDoomer's Doom brightmap pack
(88.6 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
brightmapsheretic1.wad
Serpent rider's Heretic brightmap pack
(77.52 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
About:

The developers have stated ( http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=37209 ) that brightmaps in the software renderer are currently impossible.
Graf Zahl wrote:Brightmaps in the software renderer would throw the optimized assembly functions out of whak, requiring much more complicated means. It'd mean writing a completely new set of rendering functions to accomplish it, and sorry, I don't see that happen.
Though true brightmaps are currently impossible in the software renderer, my idea is to replicate this effect in the software renderer using workaround methods (however this will only be possible for actors, not textures). The method is really simple (described here http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 75#p738590), probably inefficient however I like the effect it produces.

I am hoping this will spark interest in people unable to run OpenGL but wanting the effect of brightmaps or for people who are looking for subtle, minimalistic enhancements that don't stray from vanilla Doom's simplistic, pixely, old-fashioned aesthetic and don't look out of place in 320x200 resolution.

Since my method depends on decorate it pretty much breaks compability with any mods modifying the monsters/decorations that will have brightmaps. Therefore I might also expand it with the standard enhancement stuff (coloured blood for Barons/Cacos and such) and maybe some slight modifications to monster behavior (but again, not straying much from the original, just increasing difficulty to match modern player's skill) and make it a complete "purist's" enhancement mod- and I would make everything myself from scratch (no ripping others off).

If the community shows interest I might also do something similar for Strife, Hexen or Heretic (but I won't think about that yet, let me first jump and then say "hop"). And I know that the idea of yet another enhancement mod is hardly original, however it is my first (Z)Doom project and I want to keep it simple while I learn the ropes.
Spoiler: Pack currently contains brightmaps for:
Known bugs:
-Not thinking, I named the brightmap sprites for the lost soul BSKUL, just a minor cosmetic bug, your key will look like a flashing Lost Soul :P Will be fixing in next update.

Serpent rider - for his Heretic brightmaps!
Nash and The Zombie Killer - big thanks for helping with code optimization.
Gez, FishyClockwork - for helping me resolve bug with this project and learning more about how the engine works
Nash, DoomRater, RV-007 - for encouragement to turn an idea into the project
Leonard2 - spotting bug

Download:
bmaps.pk3
SerbianDoomer's Doom brightmap pack
(88.6 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
brightmapsheretic1.wad
Serpent rider's Heretic brightmap pack
(77.52 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Last edited by SerbianDoomer on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
Tomicapo

Re: [VERY EARLY WIP] Software Brightmaps

Post by Tomicapo »

Wow wow those brightmaps are awesome, keep up with this!!
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Good stuff, keep it up; reminds me of what polymer mode does to both the sprites and models of the Pig Cop's eyes in Eduke.
Average

Post by Average »

If you pull this off I'll be your best friend! :P

This would be seriously cool. I've always wanted this effect in software but I wouldn't even know where to begin. There's nothing scarier than the glowing eyes of Hell's spawn coming at you in the dark!

Thanks for even attempting this. :)
Serpent rider

Post by Serpent rider »

It looks great.And i think it will be very useful (expecialy for me , becuase i can not use the open gl , i have too bad graphic card...).
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

By changing

Code: Select all

WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_STOP
To

WARPF_INTERPOLATE|WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_STOP
In the Cacodemon's brightmap objects, the jumpiness is pretty much fixed when you don't have your fps capped.

Also, here's my custom version which also applies the warp effects to the armor bonus too, which makes it bug out less if the armor bonus is on a lift
EDIT: Updated the file, I added the warp effects to the eye brightmap for the cacodemon's dead frame. Since this didn't warp to the corpse, if the corpse moved (eg, the death animation finished while the cacodemon was sliding on the floor), the eye would become disconnected and it would look weird.
Attachments
bmaps.pk3
(144.38 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

YES
SerbianDoomer

Re: [WIP] Software Brightmaps - Updated with item pack

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Updated the pack with brightmaps for items!

First of all, thank you very much The Zombie Killer for your fix, included it in the update and added you to the Thanks list :D.

Lava Grunt, I think the pig cops eyes have brightmaps even without polymer, because I recall seeing those brightmaps but I don't play with polymer (too slow).

Average, thanks for the kind words and I quite agree! For extra scariness, I sometimes play with PSX music and sounds and a darker palette.

Eriance, don't be too optimistic. Now would be a good time to tell you I am a lazy bastard and progress on this will move slowly :P.
Serpent rider wrote:Кад би ви знали шта је овде написано...
Полако али сигурно, Срби преузимају интернет :twisted:

Edit: Also, forgot to mention. I changed the way the files are organized in the pk3. The sprites and decorate code for each actor are now kept in seperate wads. So if you don't like the glowing text on the clip box, just open up the pk3 and delete the associated wad file (in this case ammobox.wad)
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

SerbianDoomer wrote:Lava Grunt, I think the pig cops eyes have brightmaps even without polymer, because I recall seeing those brightmaps but I don't play with polymer (too slow).
The Duke3D palette has some colors that are always fullbright, the pigcop eyes use those.

I'll be watching this project in future, it's quite impressive work. Nice work!
Nash

Post by Nash »

This is slowly shaping up to be awesome. Keep up the good work!

(The Cacodemon looks good in the starting room of DOOM 2 MAP25 ;))

EDIT:

ACTOR CacoEffectA : BMapEffect
{
    States
    {
    Spawn:
        BHED A 1 A_Warp(AAPTR_TARGET, 0, 0, 0, 0, WARPF_INTERPOLATE|WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_STOP)
        BHED A 1 A_Warp(AAPTR_TARGET, 0, 0, 0, 0, WARPF_INTERPOLATE|WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_STOP)
        Stop
    }
}
Is there any reason why a single line wouldn't work?

BHED AAAA 1 A_Warp(AAPTR_TARGET, 0, 0, 0, 0, WARPF_INTERPOLATE|WARPF_NOCHECKPOSITION|WARPF_STOP)
Last edited by Nash on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Zombie Killer

SerbianDoomer wrote:First of all, thank you very much The Zombie Killer for your fix, included it in the update and added you to the Thanks list :D.
My pleasure, glad to help.
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Yholl, thanks :D!

Nash, thank you too, and thanks for that code, I didn't know it was possible to write it that way. Looks much cleaner that way, will be including in next update.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Another thing I was thinking about while looking at the code... all those A_Warp calls on the first state in Spawn... I wonder if NoDelay should be used on them to make sure everything is 100% in sync?

Would having that also negate the need to add 1 extra tic to the brightmap pieces in comparison their original non-bright counterparts?

(I don't exactly know the inner workings of your stuff so this is just speculation)
The Zombie Killer

Nash wrote:Another thing I was thinking about while looking at the code... all those A_Warp calls on the first state in Spawn... I wonder if NoDelay should be used on them to make sure everything is 100% in sync?

Would having that also negate the need to add 1 extra tic to the brightmap pieces in comparison their original non-bright counterparts?

(I don't exactly know the inner workings of your stuff so this is just speculation)
Using NoDelay would indeed help to keep things in sync, and remove the need for the extra tic.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”