XRe-GEN aka Crazy Doom (Beta 3)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Leonard2

Re: Crazy Doom (Beta v0.9)- Canceled

Post by Leonard2 »

I watched the video, not completely but still.
ArcheKruz wrote:Endless123 : So what you're telling me is that this whole thing is an ego trip for you. Because this is how you're phrasing it to me, you have a problem because Edward made a public video on youtube perfectly exposing every single problem with your mod and why it's not great. You're telling me this by the way you had your tantrum at Edward. Instead of taking on the feedback and working on improving your mod, you instead decided to spend that energy into becoming an insufferable cunt to the very person offering you feedback.

Seriously, what the fuck do you hope to accomplish here?
I sincerely hope you get banned for this post and I honestly have no idea why you aren't yet.

If endless123 wants to delete his mod it is his choice to do so and you have no right to insult him for that, or for anything in this matter.
As for "feedback".. You guys should absolutely stop using this word because you obviously do not know what feedback means.

While it is okay to have a good laugh on a mod between some friends, it is not to realase a video of it and literally posting it in the thread to make fun of the author (even if you are not trying to) and that's what endless is trying to say when he talks about dignity.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I think these kinds of posts need to stop, across the board, doesn't matter whose side you're on.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Siding with Torrid and Marty here.

I think the main problem here is that the feedback was unsolicited, and is so far pretty much the only reasonably large package of feedback that the mod has received. If I woke up one day to discover that aside from a few forum posts like "nice", "cool" or "good job", the only feedback I'd ever gotten for, say, Adventures of Square (or anything else I'd been working on painstakingly as of late) was that it was terrible and I'm an awful person and I should quit modding, I'd feel a bit shitty about myself, too. I would view the overall feedback I had received as being virtually 100% negative, and I'd probably feel inclined to quit before it was time, too. (We humans hate to waste time. None of us ever feel obligated to continue working on something if it feels fruitless or gainless, right? We move onto other pursuits. I am pretty much the expert on this.) So while Crazy Doom is still by no means a fantastic mod, it's still very early in development (it's a month old now?), and if the author is pushed helpfully in the right direction, he can make it fantastic.

Though I'm also saying that there must be a better way of offering criticism and feedback to a newbie modder than a video going into extravagant detail as to why it sucks and should not be. It's always nice to have modders in our community, especially those who are willing to listen and accept criticism even in its harshest forms, but they won't be willing to learn from such overwhelming negativity and antagonism. Positive reinforcement is what helps people new to a discipline grow and mature.

So the mod's hilariously broken in places and not all that fun to play - so what? What else could you reasonably expect from someone's first mod? Sorry, but all I'm really seeing here is negativity, name-calling and general arseholery from both parties involved, and I think we all need to just reflect on what really matters at the end of all this - making Doom mods for the fun of it (let's not forget that it's an art, and has no real need to be taken so seriously!) and being decent human beings to one another.

Seriously everyone, relax. And don't act like dicks to each other.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Personally, I'm extremely tired of this drama both here and on IRC. While, yes, Edward can be arrogant and douchey at times, you're all being just as antagonistic and escalating it even further in my opinion. It's annoying and it really needs to stop before something has to be done about this thread.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

BlazingPhoenix wrote:Personally, I'm extremely tired of this drama both here and on IRC. While, yes, Edward can be arrogant and douchey at times, you're all being just as antagonistic and escalating it even further in my opinion. It's annoying and it really needs to stop before something has to be done about this thread.
Will anything ever be done about Edward or will it still only ever be the people who have a problem with him that receive warnings?

Whenever Edward pulls an "arrogant and douchey" stunt, mods don't seem to bat an eyelash. Mods only come in when people express their distaste with Edward's actions with as much respect as Edward gave them. I don't know the moderation politics here, I don't know if there's some higher reason why this is allowed, but for normal users it's a pain. The popular people here expect users to grin and bear it and never talk back to Edward when he's being rude and it's discouraging and driving away new members.

This problem will continue coming back as long as no one does anything to fix it.

Can't one of Edward's friends sit him down and impart some empathy on him or maybe even prove to him that not being hostile has a higher success rate in criticism? Of course, I'm certain that Edward knows this and that he doesn't do this for the benefit of other users--he does it for himself.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Maybe I'm blind here, but what I've seen of Edward's activity (in this thread specifically) after having posted the video has been him taking steps to correct the problem. It's primarily been other users that have been pushing the complaints.

As a moderator, I can tell you that there isn't any sort of "higher reason" for anything like what you're describing. I generally act on those posts that users report to us, and occasionally will step in to try to stop major arguments if I see them happening. The moderators are not infallible and sometimes we do need users to direct us towards where the problem is. We're just here to enforce rules. We're not gods and we're not all-seeing.
Endless123

Re: XRe-GEN aka Crazy Doom (Beta 1)

Post by Endless123 »

Project revived, among other things. See first post for more details.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Damn, I've got to say, Endless123, that you've made a really great turnaround. I haven't played the mod yet, but judging from the screenshots and the new HUD, the mod seems to have a much more coherent direction and certainly looks much cleaner than it did before.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

glad to see you're on a charge! i hope somebody never trolls you once again, also fixing some problems.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Thanks guys, i'll do my best to make this mod a good one :D

I was thinking about replacing the chainsaw secondary attack with some kind of fast regeneration tool accelerating the regeneration rate of health and ki but costing armor points. Maybe it could be better than the chainsaw shooting bullets without the necessary animation frames to go with it.

I'm also thinking about including my HUD in this mod into my other mod (Rage Doom). I don't know i'll think about it.

Thanks again for your support guys, i really appreciate it :D
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

New update, see first post
Endless123

Re: XRe-GEN aka Crazy Doom (Beta 2)

Post by Endless123 »

Beta 2 now out !See first post for details :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

ooh yeah, great looking so far! but once again, i found some flaws to tell;

-first is fist, it jabs so slowly also jabbing several times after i pressed the fire once. and i think it has a same attack compared with gunsaw but low damages. just like a vanilla doom, why don't you make it as a one-hit damage? also kamehame-ha needs new sprite, though.

-second is pistol, it fires 2 puffs...well, is that was intensional? also throwing grenade is bit awkward; i see the different glove while throwing it. and it does looks like a pistol transforming into a grenade too. otherwise, you gonna need a good animations for that.

-third is mega shotgun, the muzzle flash goes so slow, and SHTGH0 goes much faster then the other frames.

-forth is super shotgun...well, nothing is needed but muzzle flash needs to be disappear much faster, though.

-fifth is rocket maker;
a.PNG
hard to explain so there you go, also it needs fires lil faster.

-sixth is recharger x50, it has no recoil at all. try to add three frames on it.

-seventh is destroyer x9, just firing vanilla bfg ball that lil faster then vanilla one, nothing is special. also it has no decals at all, either bullet puffs.

-eighth is player's sprite,his sprite is not exist! so player became a invisiable but demons always know where he is.

that's it, this is an optional choice. you're going really good now.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Thanks for the input i'll check those issues you mentioned

BTW the recharger x50 and the rocket maker aren't meant to have recoil because they are mainly use to make rockets and cells and the rocket maker slow fire speed is intended because it's rockets do double damages compare to a normal rocket. However i guess i wouldn't hurt if i speed it up a little lol

For the player's sprite ... is it essential? I mean since it's a FPS it should not be a problem except of course if my mod is used in co-op which is not been tested as i mentioned in the first post. Once again, i'll check this one and it should be included in the next update.

For the BFG/Destroyer x9 it not only fires faster(when the alt attack is used of course) it also fires a sequence of bfg shots and rockets.

As for the pistol, yes 2 puffs was intended. The grenade needs some improvement to say the least lol I need to find the correct settings for the gravity and mass to make it behaves like a grenade not like a weirdy things like it is right now.

The 3-punches is also intended but i think i'll at least speed up the sequence the make it looks less like a drunken boxer.

But no worry, it might take a while but the next update will be a good one :)

Thanks again for your feedbacks, i appreciate it and it helps me improve my mod :D

EDIT : When the player sprite don't show up? For me it's showing in the third person view so i guess it's fine but is there other occasions the sprite don't show while it should be?
Endless123

Re: XRe-GEN aka Crazy Doom (Beta 3)

Post by Endless123 »

Sorry for an other update in a short time but this one i had to do it. I spent the night working on fixing stuff in my mod due to what Captain J told me what was wrong and what should be considered.

It's been a long night but i think it worth it so the new beta with new updates is now available. See the first post for download links and a screenshot of the modified HUD.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”