WIP: Necropolis: Voices in the Night: First public release!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Necropolis: Voices in the Night: First public release!

Post by Ed the Bat »

Enjay wrote:Well, not bad but being promised a project and then finding such a small file, I either thought the download was broken or it was something like this. However, benefit of the doubt and all that, I thought I'd look inside the lumps to see if it was an erroneous upload. When I started to read the text lumps and saw that they had the feel of "creepy pasta" literature to them so, at that point I lost interest and only glanced at the others. So, I guess it didn't really work for me.
I'm not saying it isn't an obvious one. But then, aren't the vast majority of publicity stunts pretty obvious? I see them like I see TV shows: obviously fabricated, but still mildly entertaining. Though I'm with you, in that they don't help generate interest from me. On the other hand, they don't particularly bother or frustrate me, either.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ed the Bat wrote:I'm not saying it isn't an obvious one. But then, aren't the vast majority of publicity stunts pretty obvious? I see them like I see TV shows: obviously fabricated, but still mildly entertaining. Though I'm with you, in that they don't help generate interest from me. On the other hand, they don't particularly bother or frustrate me, either.
Agreed on all points. It was pretty obvious, like these things always are. I'm not particularly bothered or frustrated. Perhaps I'm mildly disappointed because I expected something playable and didn't get it but I downloaded other stuff and played that instead. It certainly hasn't made me more interested in the project. Indeed, the next time a file is made available, I'll probably wait to see what others say about it before I download it.
Baby Bonnie Hood

Post by Baby Bonnie Hood »

If you didn't want to release this at all, you could've just said so.

I've had my fill of crappy pasta.
The Zombie Killer

Re: WIP: Necropolis: Voices in the Night: First public relea

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Well that's a shame. I was really looking forward to playing this from what I had seen of it, but all I got was a crappy attempt at scaring me with text files and cryptic totally-not-bullshit blog posts.

I got really excited when I saw "First public release", but boy did that get shot down quickly...

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not hating or bashing or anything like that, I'm just a little bit disappointed.
samtam90

Post by samtam90 »

Baby Bonnie Hood wrote:If you didn't want to release this at all, you could've just said so.
This.

That whole thing with the files taken down by moon-hating hackers was pretty [censored word], to be honest.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Are you fucking kidding me?
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Kinda difficult to say this is true with only the community claiming it to be some sort of publicity stunt without any sort of confirmation without the OP. You're all just jumping on the bandwagon, really.

Unless I missed something.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Cryomundus wrote:Kinda difficult to say this is true with only the community claiming it to be some sort of publicity stunt without any sort of confirmation without the OP. You're all just jumping on the bandwagon, really.

Yeah, I think you're missing the part where, instead of trying to report the trouble he has with uploads, and the apparent hacking, he chooses to just come to us and post on YouTube about it.
Alterworldruler

Post by Alterworldruler »

Ed the Bat wrote:
Cryomundus wrote:Kinda difficult to say this is true with only the community claiming it to be some sort of publicity stunt without any sort of confirmation without the OP. You're all just jumping on the bandwagon, really.

Yeah, I think you're missing the part where, instead of trying to report the trouble he has with uploads, and the apparent hacking, he chooses to just come to us and post on YouTube about it.
And doesn't plan to show up and say HEY THIS WAS A STUNT or THE REAL THING IS COMING AROUND X DATE. My opinion is, such stunts deserve no respect or attention until the project is real, as if there wasn't enough annoying stunts already. Just my opinion.
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

...So what's the purpose of all of this? If it's finished, then release the kek'n mod! If it's not, then why even post? Just lock up the thread.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'm cool with ARGs but I think it could have been executed a little better... maybe change the thread title? :S
Cardboard Marty

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Although I think this could be handled differently (perhaps giving it a demo release and including the creepy files for players looking through the .pk3?), there isn't a need to be overwhelming negative about it. Though there is something to take away about the reaction, if you don't like the potential ARG elements (which I hope will be worked out better!), ignore them and wait for a proper release.
Michael65

Post by Michael65 »

I'm a pretty big fan of ARG's so I decided to dive in and see what I could dig up so far. I haven't found anything very notable from the files in the "remove the logs" folder (change the extensions to .txt) as of yet.

The most notable file so far is the music2.ogg file, which starts off as some low quality piano playing, which later transitions into what sounds like another station with a voice intermittently speaking phrases while there's a ton of static and distorted music playing in the background. I used a noise filter and upped the pitch to try to figure out what the voice was saying, and after googling some of the phrases I managed to find a pastebin of a story, and the audio file was a quote from it. Somehow I don't think the pastebin story has any relation to this mod, and the quote taken may not have any significance whatsoever, but I could also be wrong. The story has a pretty weird and dark psychological vibe to it like the mod.

The quote from the audio file:
Spoiler:
There's also another few phrases after the above quote in the music2.ogg audio file, but I honestly cannot decipher what it says.

Full pastebin link here: http://pastebin.com/jcSAm3Gs
Nash

Post by Nash »

^ Nice analysis, you must be one of those people who could have figured things like Survivor 2299 out... :D

Regarding this actual mod: I've been saying it in already in the WIP thread - I like what I see, I'm very much interested in playing it. I just think the ARG wasn't done very well. :D
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Michael65 wrote: The quote from the audio file:
Spoiler:
Right, so after looking at this, the things being said are references to actual things. I'm going to go out on a limb and stuff a bunch of what I think is being referred to under a spoiler, haven't quite got everything just most of it. Unsolved things will have ??? after them.
Spoiler:
Granted I have no idea if this is actually an ARG of some kind but hey, sounds odd enough to be one.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”