[Music] Jimmy's Jukebox -- Seeking dev assistance re:ZScript

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Patriot1776

Re: [Fun] Jimmy's Jukebox -- v9 is READY! :D

Post by Patriot1776 »

Uhh, how is the download supposed to work? Or somebody give me some guidance on navigating the download page.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Go to first post. Click either link.

(First pk3 comes with music. Second pk3 is customizable for whatever music you want to add yourself.)

I should probably release an update, I've composed quite a few new tracks since the last release, and there's been a few releases this year like Unholy Realms with all-new soundtracks.

I should also drum up a list of authors who I'd like to ask permission to have their entire musical catalogues included - right now it's just me and Forty-Two, but then there's PRIMEVAL, TGH, esselfortium, darkhaven3, Ribbiks and a whole host of other MIDI musicians out there whose work I'd love to include.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Jimmy wrote:I've composed quite a few new tracks since the last release
Please, when possible, do break songs away from the Jimmy mega-album and into mod soundtrack albums. Like for Plutonia 2, which also has Corfiatis, Rynn, Robertson, Baker and Auburg songs.

My own copy has become kind of a mess.
Spoiler:
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

How do I load a playlist I made? It's called cowboy.pl.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Type "exec cowboy.pl" into the console. It'll throw up a couple of syntax errors but it should do it. :)

Gez: Alrighty, noted. :P
Discordance

Post by Discordance »

Jesus christ Gez, I wish I could be arsed to build my collection up to that sort of scale.
Spoiler:
I appear to have lost STARMONO.mid >_>
Gez

Post by Gez »

The thing with mine is that I ended up using the jukebox as a quick "identify this MIDI" tool -- when I want to identify some PWAD's MIDI, I start by copy-pasting it into the jukebox archive, then I use SLADE's Archive->Maintenance->Check Duplicate Entry Content.

If it's not a duplicate, I put it in some subfolder of miscwad with a unique name... Also it means that I have some songs in both MUS and MIDI format.
Discordance

Post by Discordance »

It's a shame MIDIs don't support the metadata(?) that you can get on MP3s and others
It might have removed the need for so many folders, you could have one large list and then be able to sort it by author, album (or WAD in this case), and the track number could be representative of the map slot.
It sounds simpler, because with yours there are folders like "plutonia 2" and "jimmy" and there's obviously midis that fall into both of these. And yet if you want either folder to be complete, there's going to have to be duplicates.

^One of my quality on-topic posts, as ever :D
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

No, it's on-topic, really. :P I agree with you - ID3-esque tags would be spectacular for MIDIs. Cakewalk WRK files have them but they're purely a Cakewalk-native form of MIDI and aren't useable elsewhere.
Discordance wrote:I appear to have lost STARMONO.mid >_>
http://jimmy.the-powerhouse.net/MIDI/20 ... ARMONO.MID :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

You can put some metadata in MIDI files already, but in the Doom community it doesn't help because people will still send it to the trash by converting it to MUS "because vanilla needs it/because I like using WinTex/because that's what I've learned to do/because all the cool kids from 1994 are doing it and it helps me being authentic".

It's really a shame they didn't put in native MIDI support in Doom to begin with. Stupid DMX library...
Jimmy

Re: [Music] Jimmy's Jukebox -- v10 in the works

Post by Jimmy »

Version 10 is in the works.

What's different in this one?
  • As is most evident in the above screenshots, a massive makeover has been given to the JUKEBOX map. It uses Dark Forces textures that will display nicely in any IWAD.
  • The main pk3 now contains all the bare essentials of the mod, and the music itself will come in "libraries" which will be loaded on top of it. Only one library will be loadable at a time since each one will replace the JUKEBOX map to make the collections selectable.
    • Main Jukebox Library
      Contains several hundred MIDIs across all the Doom-engine IWADs (now including Strife), and several PWADs (now including Plutonia 2, Speed of Doom, Reverie, Unholy Realms, Back to Saturn X Episode 1, and the recently-released Plutonia MIDI Pack).
    • Jimmy MIDI Library
      Contains a few hundred MIDIs by myself, organized by project into separate collections.
    • User-Defined Library
      A blank library with easily-configurable collections that will allow the user to add their own music and listen to it in-game with Jukebox.
    • Community Pack
      Will be initiated soon. I would like to encourage fellow MIDI artists in the Doom community to post everything they've done to date for inclusion in the "community pack" Jukebox library.
  • The "Format" switch has been rendered largely superfluous by a primitive IWAD detection system I've put in place. This system is currently able to detect Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Strife and Chex Quest when loaded, and will configure the playlist's default settings accordingly.
  • The exit switch now works properly for all IWADs, with no risk of "unknown map" errors occurring.
  • The playlist now uses its own unique font that will be present in every IWAD, rather than relying on that IWAD's smallfont.
  • A "copy selected track" function, which works similarly to the "swap selected track(s)" function already in, except this simply duplicates a track to another slot rather than swapping the tracks in the two selected slots.
Still to do:
  • "Vile Flesh" collection.
  • "Interception" collection.
  • Complete all in-progress jimmidis, so they can be included in the Jimmy library.
  • Fix that goddamn bug with the playlist editor sdhhfdhfdhsjkhdjhkhg
Discordance

Post by Discordance »

Holy shit, there's an actual music selection map?
WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS!? DOWNLOADING! WHEN V10 IS OUT!

Just goes to show that I overlooked this, I look forward to the next version.
Kinda sad that the only MIDIs I actually have worth contributing are already in plutmidi, heh.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

There's always been one :P
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Not Jimmy wrote:It uses Adventures of Square textures that will display nicely in any IWAD.
:biggrin: :glare:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Jimmy wrote:Contains several hundred MIDIs across all the Doom-engine IWADs (now including Strife), and several PWADs (now including Plutonia 2, Speed of Doom, Reverie, Unholy Realms, Back to Saturn X Episode 1, and the recently-released Plutonia MIDI Pack).
If there's P2 and PMP, there should also be PRCP.

Some suggestions:
DreamDestroyer's music (+ the couple from here)
Pcorf's Music Rejects
PCCP
CChest4 (with bonus CChest3 songs that were actually made for it)
Strife's music (not to be confused with Strife's music)
Batman Doom
Daedalus
Claustrophobia 1024 & 2

Freedoom and Blasphemer, too, maybe?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”