NJTrain: Multiplayer Update

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
edward850

NJTrain: Multiplayer Update

Post by edward850 »

Alternative thread titles:
  • NJTrain: Multiplayer Edition
  • NJTrain: Train Harder
  • NJClownCar
  • NJTrain: Ryan Cordell is breaking your train.

With permission granted from Enjay (despite it not being my original intention :P), I have released my updated version of Enjay's famous NJTRAIN.wad (Runaway Train) to fix a particular oddity I noticed: Why does this map have 4 player starts, yet not work in multiplayer at all?

Introducing NJTRAINM, the fix to said scenario. It supports multiplayer with up to 8 players. Huzzah!

That's really about it. There are a couple of other subtle changes about how some scripts work. Players are now teleported to the train as a sector rather then 1 destination, (and more then 1 player can now actually enter the train), plus also some slight changes to the monster object placement to compensate.
Demo1 was also re-recorded (and then some), as this version won't run on older versions of ZDoom any more (well, not 1.22, anyway :P), and that demo just fails on a bad net command. Good enough of an excuse as any.

> Downhob here <

Also, seeing as some people would rather just want to see this somehow work in multiplayer:
Enjay

Re: NJTrain: Multiplayer Update

Post by Enjay »

edward850 wrote:Why does this map have 4 player starts, yet not work in multiplayer at all?
Probably to stop the DeePsea error checker complaining about "not enough player starts". :lol:

Thanks for doing the conversion. I hope that other people enjoy it too.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Oh, sure, leave the obvious cut point in, Edward. :P

(Also, the second "me" in the Nightmare part was actually Minigunner. He appeared as Minigunner on my screen. He also wasn't pink.)
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

This doesn't work with any kind of custom playerclass. Instead of actually checking for players, this checks for the doomplayer actor class.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Technically, there is no bug there, as the issue is irrelevant to NJTRAINM. However I'll cook up a change seeing as it should straightforward to do so.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

edward850 wrote:Technically, there is no bug there, as the issue is irrelevant to NJTRAINM. However I'll cook up a change seeing as it should straightforward to do so.
Not saying it's a bug. Just that it's a sloppy way to do it; there are a lot of more flexible alternatives.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Return to “Levels”