[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

>_< Meh. I would prefer something from scratch :(
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, it is hard to do something Doom-E1 styled from scratch, so I am ok with this texture ;)
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Tormentor - it's Puke 100 to run the E1M4 from the beggining...
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Try to rebuild the nodes with ZDBSP
If this is ZDoom-only, why build the nodes at all? Leave them empty and let ZDoom build them. It'd be smaller with less data, make use of a ZDoom-only feature, and solve most problems caused by node buillders that aren't ZDBSP.
(the reason for no sky in this map, it is an underground map!)
What are you talking about? E1M7 has areas where you can see the sky. One of the secrets is outdoors, as well.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

The original E1M7 has areas where you can see the sky. The KDIZD version doesn't.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Why? That sucks, I like outdoor areas.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Because Risen wanted to turn it into a dark, claustrophobic, atmospheric place. Besides, there are plenty of outdoor areas in earlier maps ;).
Last edited by NiGHTMARE on Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Chris wrote:Why? That sucks, I like outdoor areas.
You could always take your PC outside and play the level there :wink:
Da_maniaC

Post by Da_maniaC »

Heh, i remember it saying on the first page that this project was gonna add a lot off new stuff... instead , also 80 % got modified (if not more).

That doesnt mean i dont like all off it... because ive seen really cool screens where you could still recognize the original... but no open areas in a map just sucks imo.
Not only does it look less realistic.. imo being able to see some outside courtyards or whatever, add greatly to the atmosphere as well.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

No open areas suck? Show me a spot in Area 51, or any underground lab where You can see a bit of sky and I'll support that arguement.

Underground maps are hard to construct IMO, because we're very used to seing skies in all maps (almost), especially when it comes to Tech Bases.

2 of my favourite underground tech maps were D64 ones: Alpha Quadrant and Main Engineering.
Risen

Post by Risen »

The decision was made a while ago an nobody complained then. This is one map out of the entire set and personally, I think it is an interesting change to not have sky in it. Not being able to see the sky doesn't kill the map and I think it is a good decision for this one.

Tormentor, a new cave start area is good, but please preserve the opening trap I set somehow.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Yes, I totally agree Risen and NMN and that's why I won't change anything about it!

@Risen - You mean the opeing door? Or what trap?!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yeah, I suppose. I guess it's just that those mountains have a special place in my heart since they were the first ones to have such an air of realism associated with it. And it's not that "maps with no sky suck" it's just that I don't like the idea of that particular map without a sky. But, well.. I haven't seen the map and given the others I have seen so far, the level architecture will probably make up for it.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Chris wrote: But, well.. I haven't seen the map and given the others I have seen so far, the level architecture will probably make up for it.
Exactly!
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Chris wrote: But, well.. I haven't seen the map and given the others I have seen so far, the level architecture will probably make up for it.
Exactly!
I hope gameplay is a factor here.....

Return to “Levels”