[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Problems left on E1M4
- No Haze anymore outside the map, looks ugly now should be grey haze (or isn't this supposed to be like that anymore?)
- Player 1 Start is misplaced, intro doesn'T work via PUKE 1 for testing
- Liquid flats haven't been replaced by their warping counterparts!
- Add more monsters to the enty, also weapons to the large entry hall, without that stuff, its absolutely boring and useless
- Add silencer to the fans and a new ambient sound for a better noise they create
- This Doom3 inspired hallway (rounded) is verys empty, add monsters and things
- Change something about the 3D bridges floor, it looks ugly (these diagonal stripes heavily suck!)*
- Room under the 3D Bridge still is too empty, add detail and monsters and things!
- Same goes to the green room after that! This is E1M4, not E1M1!!!! MAKE IT HARDER
- The room before the blue door looks heavily ugly, do something about it!
- Add some fun to the regular starting room
- On the broken nukage tube in the room where you have this nukagepool and normally can see the yellow keycard on the other side (and the yellow door), their is a HOM
- Crates before the soulsphere secret on teh lift have misalignments
- If you look close enouugh you will find many more problems
- The most big problem is the interconnectivity of the map: I could play through this in about 1 minute without even touching many parts of the map, someone has to place another key and close several hallways so others must be used to open those.
- Also a lot of monsters must be added, as I said, it is E1M4 and should be much harder!
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Speaking of polyobjects, the big doors need to have a sound attached to them. I meant to do it, but never got around to it ;).
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Nightmare - But this counts for all the polydoors we have :( Someone needs to add one or more new sound-sequences for polystuff I think!

By the way, I saw it is your turn now on E1M4 :) This will be a hard week for you ;)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

How's E1M8, Tormentor?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I'm working on E1M7 right now, week 3 for E1M8
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

right.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Tormentor667 wrote: - The most big problem is the interconnectivity of the map: I could play through this in about 1 minute without even touching many parts of the map, someone has to place another key and close several hallways so others must be used to open those.
I disagree. E1M4 is meant to be non-linear and I see no need for use to linearize it. Players are likely to explore the entire map anyway since I think most people make a good attempt at getting 100% kills in E1. Plus they will not want to miss any of our wonderful architecture! I don't think we need to force it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Someone needs to add one or more new sound-sequences for polystuff I think!
I made these door sounds for ww-xm.wad, taken from RealMyst and hacked up. We have a start, middle, and end for them. I think they may be of use to you.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Risen wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote: - The most big problem is the interconnectivity of the map: I could play through this in about 1 minute without even touching many parts of the map, someone has to place another key and close several hallways so others must be used to open those.
I disagree. E1M4 is meant to be non-linear and I see no need for use to linearize it. Players are likely to explore the entire map anyway since I think most people make a good attempt at getting 100% kills in E1. Plus they will not want to miss any of our wonderful architecture! I don't think we need to force it.

Well, I agree with Tormentor and disagree with you. You don't have to linearize the map though. Just force the player to perform a few tasks in the different parts of the map to open the exit or something like that and the problems will go away.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

(duplicate)
Last edited by Graf Zahl on Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I see twins.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Risen wrote:

Well, I agree with Tormentor and disagree with you. You don't have to linearize the map though. Just force the player to perform a few tasks in the different parts of the map to open the exit or something like that and the problems will go away.
Exactly, and that will make the map much more interesting, because you get away from the classic way to solve the map as player!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Concerning this exit/start thing for maps, persons talked about some posts ago, I just wanted to say, that I created a new starting room for E1M7, placed in a cave (the reason for no sky in this map, it is an underground map!)

This screenshot just shows the style of the cave, so the person working on E1M6 knows what to do!
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Heh, that texture made by Yourself Nick, 100% Your work or combination of brown bcg and Rock2 ? :)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

It's actually FLAT5_7 run through a program called texsynth to create a tileable 128x128 texture, then coloured brown using one of the other new rock textures as a layer. The other new rock textures are based on existing textures as well, though far more heavily modified in some cases.

Return to “Levels”