[Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RikohZX

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

Post by RikohZX »

Admittedly if you turn the dynamic light size up in GZDoom (I find 1.4 a good number), it turns the pitchblack spots into far more visible areas and that pitch-black room can actually be seen in. But it kinda detracts from the intentional dark and moody atmosphere that was seemingly intended. (Although.. well, the spanish voices are strangely and awkwardly hilarious. "AHH, NOO. NO PANTALON. NOOOO.")
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

WHERE ARE THE KEYS
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Behind doors that would look just like the walls even If you could see the walls to begin with.
Anyway, dynamic lights should never be used as the primary light source. They're completely unsuited for such a thing. You could achieve much better (and less system-intensive) results with sector lighting. And you wouldn't have people like me who play with dynamic lights off getting very confused at first.

I liked the layout (it was a little claustrophobic, but not super bad) and the detailing was pretty good. Once I loaded some mods alongside this that made it brighter it was rather enjoyable, though the hard to see doors were still an issue.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

As others have mentioned, the spanish background sounds feel very out-of-place (and conjunction with english texts throughout the map made it even worse). In fact, I deleted their files after a minute of playtime or so.

However, the main problem of this mod is that the doors blend together with normal walls. I had to use automap to find many of them. Maybe you could change their texture so they would stand out a bit more? Maybe use more bright colors for the arrows on the big ones?

Oh, I and I loved the idea about the game arcade in kitchen.
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

Ed the Bat wrote:Was I the only one who didn't have any light/visibility problems in Doom 3? :|
I actually liked the "either/or" flashlight setup in Doom 3. Gave the game an edge. Of course, I read all the emails and listened to all the reports/video discs as well, made the game for me. Gave a bit of a cover story to some of the bizarre things, like chainsaws and barrels of exploding slime all over the place. Who was the health and safety guy there, anyway?
But on topic, I enjoyed the crap out of this level, wish it was a megawad. Thanks for your hard work, always nice to see something different.
Cire

Post by Cire »

This seems nice, but I'm stuck right at the beginning, I can't find anything to activate in the train. I can leave it thru the open door and walk up the rails a bit, but I can't find any way to progress from there. Help would be appreciated.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Cire wrote:This seems nice, but I'm stuck right at the beginning, I can't find anything to activate in the train. I can leave it thru the open door and walk up the rails a bit, but I can't find any way to progress from there. Help would be appreciated.
It's not very clear, but the train's dead. You have to jump onto the rails and progress to the door in red at the end, and it'll automatically open when you get within touching range. All the doors are automatic on touch rather than by activation (and yet at least two secrets require manual activating :? ).
Cire

Post by Cire »

Thanks for the help! By the way, is this bugged when playing together Ultimate Super Doom 3 mod or am I just loading the files in the wrong order or something? I can't reload or use any weapons besides the fists, pistol or grenades.
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Lippeth wrote:I was wandering around in pitch black with someone screaming at me in Spanish for a while wondering what the point of this was, until I turned up the dynamic lighting. I'm so glad I did that. Really fun, but really short. I'm craving so much more of this.
Hahahahaha this was the best comment, for real! How i laughed :lol: :mrgreen: :biggrin: :lol:

Ok, so considering all good and bad opinions, i'm adding more dynamic lights.
Maybe i should delete the spanish voices?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Maybe have that as an optional patch?
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

Optional patch please...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This is a very well-presented map, but I had difficulty getting the first door open (I wasn't standing on the center rail, and apparently you need to be there to trigger the walk-over line), and after I'd cleared much of the facility, I could not find the blue or red keycards. I almost wonder if I inadvertently broke a script, given I was playing with ww-doomnukem (though you said the map was recommended to play with Brutal Doom, I can't imagine that would have ruined anything script-wise).

Some things I suppose I could also mention: you could make doors more obvious by bordering them with lights. There are walls that I expected to open that did not, and walls that opened that I only discovered by rubbing against them while trying to take cover. I don't really understand the point of including so many "doors" whose only purpose is to beep angrily at you, either; maybe alter these doors to appear visibly destroyed so as to remove the ambiguity.

And while the presence of Spanish voices does not necessarily bother me, it did get a little irritating after a while to hear the same samples playing over and over (with gunfire baked in, no less).
Skullreader

Post by Skullreader »

Awesome map. I absolutely love corridor crawling through grim and moody space stations (mars base is good too); and leaving it open to gameplay mods really sold me on this.

I did find the lack of any secrets to be a bit disappointing, and I had trouble locating the red key card for a good 10 minutes. I also have to agree that having a bunch of doors with no purpose but to beep at me wasn't very fulfilling ( didn't realize some of them were doors at first, either). I'm personally not a fan of the spanish voices, but it didn't take away from the map by any means.

Overall I loved the atmosphere and pace, I've played through it more than a few times now and would love to see more like this.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

wildweasel wrote:This is a very well-presented map, but I had difficulty getting the first door open (I wasn't standing on the center rail, and apparently you need to be there to trigger the walk-over line), and after I'd cleared much of the facility, I could not find the blue or red keycards. I almost wonder if I inadvertently broke a script, given I was playing with ww-doomnukem (though you said the map was recommended to play with Brutal Doom, I can't imagine that would have ruined anything script-wise).

Some things I suppose I could also mention: you could make doors more obvious by bordering them with lights. There are walls that I expected to open that did not, and walls that opened that I only discovered by rubbing against them while trying to take cover. I don't really understand the point of including so many "doors" whose only purpose is to beep angrily at you, either; maybe alter these doors to appear visibly destroyed so as to remove the ambiguity.

And while the presence of Spanish voices does not necessarily bother me, it did get a little irritating after a while to hear the same samples playing over and over (with gunfire baked in, no less).
The keycards are actually kinda-sorta close to eachother on the map. At the tail end of one of the paths is a large room that has multiple Zombiemen and Shotgunners, and a door on the left that says 'Deimos Anomaly'. Go through that and you'll get more zombies and all. There's a small elevated walkway ahead of you, and to the right is a door locked by blue keycard. There's a door to the left you can take, however, that takes you to a set of halls that loop in a square. On the opposite side from the entry into this hall is a large door to a room that has the blue keycard. Backtrack to the door that needed the keycard (or take one of the alternate routes opened up to an earlier part of the level) and progress through that.

You might see the red keycard through a window while progressing through this area, but you gotta loop around through a hall to the right, and enter a very dark room to get in there. Then you just return to the first room that had enemies in it near the beginning of the map, open the door that was locked with a red keycard before, and head for the elevator (with the only way to send it down being to activate it, when there's no indicator to beyond common logic, which was defied when the panel for it was the exact same as the nonfunctional one on your tram at the beginning).

I recommend using Brightmaps just so you can friggin' see the keycards in the dark to begin with, though.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Cire wrote:Thanks for the help! By the way, is this bugged when playing together Ultimate Super Doom 3 mod or am I just loading the files in the wrong order or something? I can't reload or use any weapons besides the fists, pistol or grenades.

that is becuase the level of Deimos use ACS, my usd3 is not recommended for those wads, try only to use vanilla doom maps

Return to “Levels”