Catacomb Trilogy for ZDoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
inferion_

Re: Catacomb Trilogy for ZDoom?

Post by inferion_ »

Just letting you know I'm making slow progress, but it's still progress! I'm glad to hear some of you would play it, it gives me the motivation to go through with it. Thanks for your words Luktom100 :)

So, keeping in mind that it's still a very early phase of development, here's what I've got so far
Spoiler:
There's an occasional lightning happening and the mugshot changes with the health.

And there's still a lot to do obviously, get the weapon(s) to work properly, finish the interface, make the monsters, add sounds, change up the menu, add the intro and a bunch of other small touches.

I was going to make only the trilogy, because I've personally never played Catacomb 3D, but I suppose the TC wouldn't be complete without it. Besides, all the mechanics would've already been finish in the making of the trilogy, so all I'd have to do is basically modify a lot of things and do the textures and maps.
janiform

Post by janiform »

Nice work!
Average

Post by Average »

If this gets finished I'll be so happy! I've never had much luck getting the games to run well in DOSBox and have always wanted to play them ever since I bought the Id Anthology. Good luck!

Just one question though. Do you plan to release each game as it's finished or release the whole lot as one package?
Hareton

Post by Hareton »

I would like to see that, as well as Amulets&Armor high res version, not necessarily in zdoom. Amulets & Armor recently were released for free: http://amuletsandarmor.com/
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Thiat looks awesome! I'd love to see it finished.
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting this kind of a response :D
Average wrote:Just one question though. Do you plan to release each game as it's finished or release the whole lot as one package?
I'm not sure, but right now I think I'd release all of them at once, because I don't think the other episodes would take too long to make after the first one is finished. :)
Luktom100

Post by Luktom100 »

inferion_ wrote:Just letting you know I'm making slow progress, but it's still progress! I'm glad to hear some of you would play it, it gives me the motivation to go through with it. Thanks for your words Luktom100 :)

So, keeping in mind that it's still a very early phase of development, here's what I've got so far
Spoiler:
There's an occasional lightning happening and the mugshot changes with the health.

And there's still a lot to do obviously, get the weapon(s) to work properly, finish the interface, make the monsters, add sounds, change up the menu, add the intro and a bunch of other small touches.

I was going to make only the trilogy, because I've personally never played Catacomb 3D, but I suppose the TC wouldn't be complete without it. Besides, all the mechanics would've already been finish in the making of the trilogy, so all I'd have to do is basically modify a lot of things and do the textures and maps.

You did some really great job. Every time when im looking at those screenshots, it reminds me about happy times and gives me soo much nostalgia. :D I really cant wait to play it. Keep up the good work :wink:
BTW, do you think it would be possible, to make it compatible with alternative HUD ??
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

After hardware difficulties and me casually deleting the wad file like the dofus I am, I finally decided to come back to this.
Spoiler:
Maps are finished as of now, as you can see by the end door. Now all that remains is code, code, and more code. Stay tuned, now it's really happening.

I've yet to decide if I will release Armageddon and Apocalypse at the same time as Abyss, but if Abyss development takes more time than expected, then I'll release it first, and follow up with the others.
Luktom100 wrote:BTW, do you think it would be possible, to make it compatible with alternative HUD ??
I think it would totally be possible, let's just see if I'll be able to figure it out :wink:
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

Hello Inferion, I just registered here, to thank you for all your time, effort and expertise. I hope you are still working with your project. I am, like many others, really looking forward to seeing you complete your work, Catacomb Abyss really brings lovely memories, and personally the idea of being able to play it in stereo 3d with zdoom, would be awesome. If you have any updates would love to hear them. Warmest regards. Pepois
Last edited by Pepois on Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

inferion_ wrote:After hardware difficulties and me casually deleting the wad file like the dofus I am, I finally decided to come back to this.
Spoiler:
Maps are finished as of now, as you can see by the end door. Now all that remains is code, code, and more code. Stay tuned, now it's really happening.

I've yet to decide if I will release Armageddon and Apocalypse at the same time as Abyss, but if Abyss development takes more time than expected, then I'll release it first, and follow up with the others.
Luktom100 wrote:BTW, do you think it would be possible, to make it compatible with alternative HUD ??
I think it would totally be possible, let's just see if I'll be able to figure it out :wink:

Wow, great news Inferion, I just registered here to thank you. I am very happy to know that you are still working on it. Please if you have any updates I would love to see them or if there is any beta too.

Thank you!!!
Last edited by Pepois on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Looks great, keep it up!
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

Pepois wrote:Hello Inferion, I just registered here, to thank you for all your time, effort and expertise. I hope you are still working with your project. I am, like many others, really looking forward to seeing you complete your work, Catacomb Abyss really brings lovely memories, and personally the idea of being able to play it in stereo 3d with zdoom, would be awesome. If you have any updates would love to hear them. Warmest regards. Pepois
Yes, I am still working on it!

Currently though I'm having a hard time as I'm a beginner ACS guy trying to remake an entire game into ZDoom. Currently I'm struggling with making the pickups act like solids for the monsters but not for the players. It's going slow, and hard, but it's going, and hopefully I'll get to finish in a reasonable time frame.

I think anyone experienced with ACS will get a seizure when reading through the way I handled things. Oh well. The important thing is that it works.

There's still a lot to be done, but when I finish everything up with Abyss, it will be much much easier to finish up Apocalypse and Armageddon.
arookas

Post by arookas »

inferion_ wrote:Currently I'm struggling with making the pickups act like solids for the monsters but not for the players.
You can give the pickup the +SOLID and +THRUSPECIES flag, along with setting the [wiki]Species[/wiki] property of the pickup to the player's species. For example:

Code: Select all

actor TestPickup : Inventory {
  Height 32
  Radius 16

Species "DoomPlayer"

+SOLID
  +THRUSPECIES

States {
    Spawn:
      SOUL A -1
      wait
  }
}
This appears to work for me. Just summon it and monsters can't walk over it but you can still pick it up.
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

Wow Inferion, thank you for the reply.

I am really happy to hear you are still working with the project!!! That is really great news. And perhaps with some help
From other experienced coders in zdoom like Arookas... sounds very promising to say the least.

Thank you and keep up the great work.

It's nice to see this very friendly community helping out, so I'm getting the sensation that anything you might get stuck with... Someone here will likely help out.

Looking really forward to hearing from you,

Warmest regards
Pepois
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

Arookas wrote:
inferion_ wrote:Currently I'm struggling with making the pickups act like solids for the monsters but not for the players.
You can give the pickup the +SOLID and +THRUSPECIES flag, along with setting the [wiki]Species[/wiki] property of the pickup to the player's species. For example:
I tried that, but I get an ugly stutter whenever I pick the item up. I end up running up to the pickup, hitting my face on it and losing all momentum, and then picking it up.

Giving +THRUSPECIES to the player results in me walking over the pickup and never being able to pick it up.

I've been trying to do something far too complicated for my comfort with A_SpawnItemEx where it spawns an item that is invisible and it's sole purpose is to block the monsters, but for the life of me I can't get the blocker to be removed in case the item gets picked up. I can just do A_RemoveChildren in it's death state, but not in the pickup state because the item is picked up on the first tic if I understand correctly, and by the time anything in the pickup state is executed, the item is already gone and therefore cannot remove children of something that is already gone.

I'm trying to do something where every blocker is assigned a unique TID, but again I just seem to be incapable of doing so because every time I end up removing all the blockers from the map, regardless of my attempt to make them unique.

Thank you for your help though, any help is much appreciated.

Return to “General”