[Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deimos Anomaly

[Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

=============================================

Description:
This map is some sort of crossover between the original Doom E1M1 Map "Hangar" and Doom 3 "Mars City".
It's mostly a remake of the first one, with some parts of the Doom 3 map implemented along the level.
And of course, some new and cool areas too!

Being built between 2009 and 2010, i still think it's a pretty nice and solid map, and i'm even surprised on what i did
on some areas with those highly detailed sectors.
That's why i decided to make a small revisition of the map and upgrade it as a single level for GZDoom.

Though the ambientation of the level comes straight from Doom 3, i increased the number of dynamic lights,
allowing the player to run without the need of any kind of flashlight.
I also added lots of enemies, so now it's like any classic Doom map: action and more action!

History of the map, and about what was UDoom3:
UDoom3 was a TC i started in 2006 with the idea of a remake of the first Doom chapter but based on Doom 3.
For this reason I took "Ultimate Doom 3" (UDoom3) as a name for the project.
On the first version i did i worked with classic "Doom in Doom" engine with some ZDoom features,
like transparent textures; and was my first attempt on Doom maps.

I created the "Anomaly Team" along with Phobos Anomaly maper to work on what was planed to be the first version,
but one year later after some delays and creative differences the team was disbanded and the project was canceled
for the aparition of the now classic KDIZD, a project with some close concept to UDoom3 and a much more advanced
work, engine and features compared with my poor attempt.

Later in 2008 i restarted UDoom3 but this time working through ZDoom engine, and with better skills i rebuilt all
maps of the old version with better features, although it wasn't enough.

Not happy with the results, in 2009 i learned to work with GZDoom engine, so i had to upgrade all the maps again
to adapt them with the more advanced engine and my improved skills.
And after almost a pair of years with delays and lots of upgrades/reconfigurations with the project i managed
to finish a whole map and prepare it as a demo and presentation to my ambitious UDoom3 TC.

Released in early 2011 as a demo on the ZDoom forums, it reached a less than nothing popularity, being almost
ignored; to finally end buried and forgotten underneath an endless number of posts and pages of the forum.
I don't know what was wrong with it, although i have a little clue.

Whatever what happened to the demo, now and almost three years after the release i decided to do a small
revisition because i still think it's a pretty nice map. And now with all the upgrades it's more funnier than before.
I added light decals on some textures, also new spark effects to make it more nice.
And after all, I hope you enjoy it and like it a bit more this time!

Highly recommended to be played with "Brutal Doom" mod, although can be played with any mod, even with "Lasting Light".

Image Image

Image Image

Download link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j0yz24

Feel free to add multiplayer compatibility, fix whatever or anyway... just tell me!

All opinions, comments and bug reports are welcome!
Thanks!!
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

Post by TiberiumSoul »

This looks sexy
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

Found this incredibly awesome until I got lost, I've no idea where any of the keycards are in order to progress. The spanish voice acting is also a surprise.
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

Nice job, tried this out a bit today, quite impressive. I like the Spanish voice acting, I can get the gist of it, and it just sounds cool.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Great! I've also got lost because no way to identify clearly where the colour doors are (looking the map with the oculus is a pain in the ass) but the map is fun and really impresive on some spots. Now, if only a next "hell-tech-base" were followed....
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Another very good mod i found here :D

The only downside is there is lots of lags - probably due to the number of particles generated. For example electrical sparks and smokes are very well done but more details also equal more lags most of the time. Not to mention the Doom engine has its limit and that too isn't really helping specially when lots of details are displayed on-screen and of course it become ugly when the chaingunners starts to shoot lol.

BUT despise that it's a really well done mod and i hope there will be more :D

In conclusion, it's a too short mod but really worth playing :D
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

looks interesting ill have to give this a try
justin_see

Post by justin_see »

Very pretty. Will have to check out soon.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

It's certainly interesting, but even with the 'added dynamic lights' some parts were still pitch-black (and the Doom 3 Weapons mod I used is outdated enough that its flashlight doesn't work, go figure). The red keycard is stowed away in one of these places, you can see it through a window but to reach it requires blind pushing around or using your automap to figure out the door's spot. I wouldn't say it's badly designed otherwise, just relatively alright. Kinda odd that all the spoken dialogue is in spanish but oh well.
Spoiler:
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Esta genial el mapa pero como dice Rikohzx, debes arreglar el problema de las luces esta demasiado oscuro y se vuelve molesto, no se ven las municiones, ni los enemigos, y generalmente siempre hay uno a quema ropa ¬¬ si pudieras balancear la iluminacion seria mejor ;)

oh y si por casualida los audios vienen de doom3 en español... que horror lol :P
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

¿Desde cuando hablamos en español? Tambien no me encanta la oscuridad de la mapa. My degraded Spanish aside, I agree the lighting could use some fixes in some areas of the map.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Mav3rick wrote:Esta genial el mapa pero como dice Rikohzx, debes arreglar el problema de las luces esta demasiado oscuro y se vuelve molesto, no se ven las municiones, ni los enemigos, y generalmente siempre hay uno a quema ropa ¬¬ si pudieras balancear la iluminacion seria mejor ;)

oh y si por casualida los audios vienen de doom3 en español... que horror lol :P
English, please.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Deimos Anomaly wrote:E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style
Yes, yes it is. I could definitely see the E1M1 influence and the Doom3 influence was very much in evidence too. I really enjoyed it and didn't have too much difficulty with getting lost. In fact, the only place where I was unsure how to progress was where I couldn't even see a door in a very dark room and so didn't open it. Unfortunately a key (the red one?) was behind the door so I couldn't progress. I confess that after a few minutes of running around achieving very little, I cheated myself a light amp visor, found the door and then removed the cheat. Un-navigable Pitch-black rooms is one thing from Doom3 I would suggest are not necessarily a good thing to copy; especially when they prevent you progressing.

I think that key requiring doors should have had some proper visible marking. It's generally considered bad practice not to do that in a Doom map and it would certainly help people navigate.

I'd also rather that the textures had not been palette raped. I thought that really detracted from the appearance of the map.

It is a very noisy map (ie lots of loud ambience) but that worked well and I also like the Spanish voice acting.

From a housekeeping point of view, you really should construct your PK3 properly. Dumping WADs into a zip and calling it a PK3 is not really making a PK3 and is less efficient when ZDoom comes to load it.
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

I'm gonna have to rip out the spanish stuff before I try it. Looks pretty good though.

Edit, having now done that: Very good map. It's like Legacy of Suffering's level design, except much, much more atmospheric and detailed.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Bitterman wrote:¿Desde cuando hablamos en español? Tambien no me encanta la oscuridad de la mapa. My degraded Spanish aside, I agree the lighting could use some fixes in some areas of the map.
lol i guess since i was born, i came with that upgrade already :P
Blue Shadow wrote:English, please.
is about the light problems ;)

Return to “Levels”