Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lippeth

Re: [UPDATE Nov 22, 2013] Weapons of Saturn

Post by Lippeth »

Ah, I see. The MP40 is two points stronger than the assault rifle and is only really meant to be a novelty weapon dropped by the Nazis in the secret levels of Doom 2. It isn't really essential to the mod but makes the secret levels a bit more interesting. I could make it not show up when hitting idfa, or remove both the MP40 and the SS indefinitely to increase compatibility with monster packs. I've already slimmed the custom monsters down to just the SS and zombie men, but I would need a new way to drop the rifle if the zombie men were gone.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I'm loving the new changes you've made for this mod. I do have a few thoughts:
  • Is there a way to have the kick knock back the enemies back a little further way like the Mighty Foot from Duke Nukem 3D?
  • Is there a way to interrupt the shotgun's reloading sequence? It would be useful if you are caught reloading in the middle of battle.
  • Are you gonna give the pistol zombieman new sprites to differentiate between the rifle zombieman and pistol zombieman?
Aside from that, keep at it! This is becoming one of my favorite mods.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Lippeth wrote:Ah, I see. The MP40 is two points stronger than the assault rifle and is only really meant to be a novelty weapon dropped by the Nazis in the secret levels of Doom 2. It isn't really essential to the mod but makes the secret levels a bit more interesting. I could make it not show up when hitting idfa, or remove both the MP40 and the SS indefinitely to increase compatibility with monster packs. I've already slimmed the custom monsters down to just the SS and zombie men, but I would need a new way to drop the rifle if the zombie men were gone.
You could do what Vaecrius did in Hideous Destructor; give rifles a chance to spawn along side clip boxes (box of bullets.)
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

lizardcommando wrote:
  • Is there a way to interrupt the shotgun's reloading sequence? It would be useful if you are caught reloading in the middle of battle.
Lemme try adding an 'A_Refire' to my shotgun reload code. I'll report how it works out.

EDIT: Simple 'A_Refire' did it:
Spoiler:
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

lizardcommando wrote:I'm loving the new changes you've made for this mod. I do have a few thoughts:
  • Is there a way to have the kick knock back the enemies back a little further way like the Mighty Foot from Duke Nukem 3D?
  • Are you gonna give the pistol zombieman new sprites to differentiate between the rifle zombieman and pistol zombieman?
Thanks a lot! The shotgun can be interrupted by holding either the primary or secondary fire buttons because A_WeaponReady is only present at certain frames during the reload sequence. I've also raised the kick's knockback a bit, and added a random assault rifle drop to clip spawns in order to remove the modified zombie men for monster pack compatibility.

Patriot1776, let me know if your shotgun reload method works more efficiently.

On an unrelated note, I've also added a more detailed reload sequence for the minigun, as well as tighten the spread of fire.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Alright, A_WeaponReady already takes care of reloading interruption, so A_Refire is redundant and unnecessary. I've removed my A_Refire then on my copy. lizardcommando, as soon as you see the need to get back to shooting while reloading with the shotgun, HOLD the 'fire' button and after the next shell is loaded, the gun will drop back down and go back to firing. HOLDING the fire button when you need to get back to shooting in the middle of reloading is the key.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

lizardcommando wrote:Is there a way to interrupt the shotgun's reloading sequence? It would be useful if you are caught reloading in the middle of battle.
Press and hold the fire button while reloading to stop. Don't know if Doom's safety catch (which I think is on every weapon in this mod )happens when you interrupt but I'm pretty sure it does. If not, it should be added; the rifle won't fire after reloading until you press again. SSG should be kept the same.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I had no idea about holding the fire button to cancel the reloading. Thanks for the tip! :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

whoa, now that's very useful. always thank you, pat!
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Secondary attack of the Rocket Launcher could use some tweaking. I've been trying to chuck grenades off of ledges and several times I've had my grenades not go over the ledges and bounce upwards, blowing myself to kibble a few times from the bouncing. The bouncing could use more realistic bounce mechanics too. Is the grenade just normal stock ZDoom grenade bounce or Skulltag/Zandronum grenade? May post some screens if clarifying is needed of when grenades bounce off of edges your standing near instead of going over them like you think. Aiming seems a little screwy on it.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Patriot1776 wrote:Secondary attack of the Rocket Launcher could use some tweaking. I've been trying to chuck grenades off of ledges and several times I've had my grenades not go over the ledges and bounce upwards, blowing myself to kibble a few times from the bouncing. The bouncing could use more realistic bounce mechanics too. Is the grenade just normal stock ZDoom grenade bounce or Skulltag/Zandronum grenade? May post some screens if clarifying is needed of when grenades bounce off of edges your standing near instead of going over them like you think. Aiming seems a little screwy on it.
They could use a bit more lob to them and they explode when they touch any floor (which is a bit odd for them); might be Skulltag's as spawning them in plain zdoom has bounce.
Lippeth

Re: [UPDATE Nov 26, 2013] Weapons of Saturn

Post by Lippeth »

I've removed all flags from the grenade, so its physics should be a bit more useful. I've only recently learned that grenades are a stock item in Zdoom, so I plan to read up on different things I can do with them. Are there any other ways that it could be improved? And speaking of secondary attacks, The minigun, chainsaw, and bfg are still without, and I'd like to stay consistent but have no idea what to put there.

I've also made the minigun more responsive and changed a few sounds. The old wind up and wind down sounds have always bugged me.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Why not make the grenades incendiary? Effective for monsters in pens or in a room with you on the other side keeping the door shut. Like Doom Draino.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

A napalm grenade or something like that would be awesome! I think I have some resources lying around that would work decently enough for that effect. Great idea!
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

For the minigun, why not have the secondary function continually spin the miniguns? For the BFG, perhaps you can have it function like the beta BFG where it shoots multiple plasma shots everywhere. For the Chainsaw, I'd always love to have a vertical slice attack. It would be slow but powerful.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”