Responsive Weapons + Faster Weapon Switching

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DTDsphere

Responsive Weapons + Faster Weapon Switching

Post by DTDsphere »

Zandronum thread: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.p ... 0#pid52152

This should make Vanilla Doom more enjoyable. I'm sure a DeHackEd version is possible but w.e. I made this mod because Doom has an unnecessary delay before each weapon fires. This is dumb so I fixed it. Weapon switching was slow as hell too, so I speeded that up.

• Weapon switching with all weapons is now faster.
  • Pistol, Shotgun and Supershotgun now fire instantly.
  • Chaingun, Chainsaw and Plasmarifle already fired instantly. (No changes to their Fire: states)
  • Rocketlauncher and BFG9000's fire delay were necessary so those haven't been touched.
  • Shotgun and Supershotgun reload animation can now be cancelled by switching weapons.
Download here:
NoLagWeps_WepSwitchFaster.wad

Have Fun. If you enjoy it, you can stick it in your skins folder (single player only) and you'll never have to play with unresponsive weapons again.

To run this with Ultimate Doom, Load Doom2.wad on top of NoLagWeps_WepSwitchFaster.wad.

If you're using this mod which adds HQ sounds http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml then the reload sound for the shotgun will sound out of place. To fix that, I made an alternative pump sound which will fit with the rest of the HQ sounds. You can download it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m278hh1pv4sa1 ... compat.wad (Load this on top of NoLagWeps_WepSwitchFaster.wad or just throw it into your skins folder as well)

Here is another mod aimed to improve Doom and can actually be loaded with this mod too. http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/6 ... d-6-26-13/
Last edited by DTDsphere on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Abba Zabba

Re: Responsive Weapons + Faster Weapon Switching

Post by Abba Zabba »

That really bothers you, huh? I find the fire delay and weapon switch times part of the difficulties of Doom; get your shit prepared before you get in a fight?
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Lava Grunt wrote:That really bothers you, huh? I find the fire delay and weapon switch times part of the difficulties of Doom; get your shit prepared before you get in a fight?
More like artificial difficulty. All what weapon switching* does is get in the way. It's easy to dodge attacks while you're switching weapons. Decreasing the weapon switch times doesn't make it that much easier, but it does make the gameplay flow a lot faster.

*Weapon Switching is fine, but it was too slow for my tastes. "Wolf3D" and "Quake I" style of instant weapon switching doesn't fit Doom either though. So I made weapon just made switching faster, but not instant.
Last edited by DTDsphere on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I'll give it a shot tomorrow; willing to give the weapon switch bit a try, but I'm on the fence about fire delay.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I actually like this, allows you to use weapons in quick combinations, I do it all the time in Serious Sam and Quake, adds some real spark to the otherwise dull combat.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Just added a tiny change, the only difference now is that it will now work with Skulltag and Zandronum.
Vict

Post by Vict »

DTDsphere wrote: More like artificial difficulty.
... I'm sorry, what? How?
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Vict wrote:
DTDsphere wrote: More like artificial difficulty.
... I'm sorry, what? How?
Bad* technical aspects to increase difficulty.

*Of course this is purely my opinion, you don't need to like my mod.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Lower-tier guns definitely more satisfying to shoot.

Similar to what I originally wanted to do in the mod that eventually became Make It Snappy!.

(on that note... I disagree re: RL, that can also instantly shoot just fine. :D )

One thing you might want to fix: shotgun freezes for a split second after firing before it actually switches. Gets a little annoying. (would be cool if you could start lowering your weapon as the reload/cocking/whateverfollowup animation plays, but that would be a lot of work.)
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Vaecrius wrote:One thing you might want to fix: shotgun freezes for a split second after firing before it actually switches. Gets a little annoying. (would be cool if you could start lowering your weapon as the reload/cocking/whateverfollowup animation plays, but that would be a lot of work.)
I could do it how it's done in Black Ops 2 where you can fire a shotgun and switch weapons without pumping it until you select it again. This works great in the game because this means you can fire your shotgun at an enemy then finish him off with a different weapon (usually a pistol in this case) then after you drop him, you can bring back up your shotgun and pump it in safety.

How this could work in Doom would be to fire a SSG shot at a crowd then finish off the remaining weak baddies with your chaingun or whatever weapon you have. Hopefully it'll still feel as if you're not playing a mod.

EDIT:
For the Shotgun, this would be hard since the shotgun fire sound includes the pump sound. I suppose I can kill the sound when you lower the Shotgun. I'm making progress though.

I need to use the A_WeaponReady function to allow you to deselect the shotgun, however, when it's there it means you cannot hold down the fire button. Is there a function that allows you to switch weapons while holding down the fire button?
Got it, "A_WeaponReady (WRF_NOPRIMARY)"
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Alright, the shotguns work awesomely now. The shotguns act normally until you try switching weapons.

Redownload the link on the original post if you're on an old version before I implemented these features.

Shotgun.
If you fire and switch weapons before pumping, you will switch weapons without pumping. When you switch back to the shotgun, it will be pumped.

Supershotgun.
If you fire and switch weapons before you open your shotgun, you will switch weapons without reloading. When you switch back to the SSG, you will reload it.

There's a bug that I'm going to leave in because I like it. When you pick up a berserk pack, you won't switch to the fist. If you want to use the zerked up fist, you'll have to switch to your fist manually.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

I'll make a video showing off this simple mod sometime today or tomorrow.

I changed my bindings to this:
1 = fist, q = chainsaw, 3 = shotgun, e = supershotgun, z = rl, x = plasma, c = BFG.

Because now that weapon switching is feasible in combat, I had to have it similar to Quake 3/Live and boy I'm having fun.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I did this same thing on my mod, minus the shotgun reload switch. I made the rocket launcher instant shot though, that delay is annoying especially since it's the longest of the bunch (minus the BFG obv)
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Very good mod,i like it! I always wanted fast weapon switching in Doom games.One more thing:your mod is incompatible with smooth weapon animations.Its possible that you create compatible wersion? Or maybe special version with only fast weapon switch only(without weapon changes)?
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Since DOOM 4 came out, I'm going to bump this thread. This mod does make the game feel more DOOM 4 like with the faster weapon switching and responsive weapons.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”