Immoral Conduct: Decorate Edition [UPDATE: 8-1-2019]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Immoral Conduct: Decorate Edition [UPDATE: 8-1-2019]

Post by Hellser »

Updated Information:

New GitHub Link

August 1st: I'm working on this again - at least to clean up and make it easier for those who wish to continue work or use it for gameplay purposes. After the full release and all bugs have been squashed, there will be no more future support.

Code: Select all

:INCOMING TRANSMISSION FROM CORY WHITTLE. DECEMBER 27th, 2002:

Immoral Conduct is designed to be played either as is, or with any of your favorite
 wads. Immoral Conduct works just as well in Doom1 or Doom2, as well as Tnt or Plutonia.

I recommend trying your luck at the Hell Revealed wads using Immoral Conduct, as well
 as Memento Mori 1 and 2, Requiem, Invasion 2, or any other level set you enjoy. Also
 works very well with 2002ado, Darken, Darken2, Icarus, Biowar, Phoenix, Phobos,
 Eternal Doom, Alien Vendetta, etc.
 Hell, it works with any Vanilla or "Lite" Boom level or level set.

NOTE: Obviously works best with levels that DON'T use a lot of replacement sprites,
       such as Ultdtv.wad or similar. Definitely won't work with existing conversions
	 like Hacx or Strain, Aliens TC, etc.

:END TRANSMISSION:
You may call this mod "ICD-ZD" or "Hellser Presents: Cory Whittle's Immoral Conduct", either name would work. But the idea is, I am porting ICD-SE from EDGE to ZDoom. I'm taking my time with this, ensuring everything feels according to how EDGE has it, so it might take a while for this mod to ever be publicly released. However, here's some screenshots to keep you busy.
Spoiler: Screenshots!
Yes, there will be a "Special Edition", which will update the graphics on some guns, effects and add in some of today's features that is common in mods. That is, of course, after this mod is finished.
Spoiler: Early Video
Unfinished Immoral Conduct
Snaarbo's ICD-ZD Branch

That link there is meant to be used between the community to either finish ICD or to enjoy what I've made so far.
Last edited by Hellser on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:48 am, edited 13 times in total.
Snarboo

Re: [WIP] Immoral Conduct

Post by Snarboo »

For those wondering what the big deal with this is, Immoral Conduct is THE weapon mod. As in, the first. Many of the mods you see today can be directly traced back to Immoral Conduct in some way, and many sprites and graphics are still being borrowed from it. There are still things this mod has done that mods today don't do, too, such as ammo pickups that only give you the ammo you need by breaking up into smaller pieces. Even great mod makers such as Scuba Steve and Xaser were influenced by this!

tldr; Think Brutal Doom before Brutal Doom, but better. :p

I've been dying to see someone port this over to ZDoom for years now, and I'm glad to see someone has finally taken it upon themselves to do so.
Last edited by Snarboo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Am I seeing a red flare on floor at first pic? If the player is able to throw it at dark areas, this is genius :D
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Arch wrote:Am I seeing a red flare on floor at first pic? If the player is able to throw it at dark areas, this is genius :D
Yep, all the pics feature the flare. I use it a lot. The flare is in EDGE's ICD-SE, and has proven useful many times!
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

The one thing I couldn't stand in Immoral Conduct was the little trick some of the commando replacements (the green M16 guy and the Uzi guy) pulled when they died sometimes, where they dropped a live grenade. Nigh unavoidable death ensues, much of the time.

Other than that, yeah. I played the hell out of ICD-SE back in high school. Good times...
O. Hakubi

Post by O. Hakubi »

Oh my.

Say, uh, Hellser? Let's say that someone hypothetically had a .wad that already had the ICD weapons, ammo, pickups and human enemies and imps implemented, including fixes for ZDoom-related behavior (e.g. picking up a soul sphere triggers a script on a map, but the if you have more than 150 health you can't pick up the ICD soul sphere equivalent and nothing will happen), updates (e.g. attaching/removing the silencer from the pistol, hella offset frames, shotgun reload animations that can be interrupted), heavy use of notes and whatnot. Would you hypothetically be interested in it? 'cause it seems like the kind of thing that could save you some trouble.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Is there still a way to directly contact Cory Whittle? Does he still have that website that had his Don's Challenge mod on it?
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

He does, but I haven't been able to get into contact with him for years.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Congrats for tackling such an important project, and good luck! :D
I shall be very happy - like many others - to enjoy it on GZDOOM sooner or later...

One more point, though: will you use exactly all original resources from the EDGE mod :?:
I don't want to start any argument or question the quality of the original mod, but I honestly think that certain graphics haven't aged well... :?
(for example, the Assault Rifle looks quite cheesy IMHO, or the hand grenade was much better resprited by Neoworm)
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I'm super excited to see you doing this, IC is still super fun and it'd be nice to have it running in GZDoom instead of firing up old Edge.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

rsl wrote:Congrats for tackling such an important project, and good luck! :D
I shall be very happy - like many others - to enjoy it on GZDOOM sooner or later...

One more point, though: will you use exactly all original resources from the EDGE mod :?:
I don't want to start any argument or question the quality of the original mod, but I honestly think that certain graphics haven't aged well... :?
(for example, the Assault Rifle looks quite cheesy IMHO, or the hand grenade was much better resprited by Neoworm)
The standard "ICD" version would feature just the original graphics. Special Edition - akin to what Cory did with his DDF version - will feature updated sprites and effects.
rsl

Post by rsl »

Seems a really fine solution to me! :)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

its funny, I posted in the idea threads about a ICD remake. i always thought it was an excellent idea, but wouldn't have the time. if there's any way i can help this project let me know.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

doomer1 wrote:its funny, I posted in the idea threads about a ICD remake. i always thought it was an excellent idea, but wouldn't have the time. if there's any way i can help this project let me know.
I was offered earlier for help, this is a learning process. Since Ryan is preparing for a rebuild of Genesis Saga: Aurora, I need to prepare my self for proper, well, everything. To handle coding by my self without Ryan butchering helping with everything. The only thing he helped with so far is the Recoil script, which is amazing.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

The project isn't dead. Infact, it's still going. Currently, I just got done with the 40mm Grenade Launcher, the preliminary code for the Flak Shotgun and finally the the Minigun is done as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”