[WIP/Release] Brutal Doom SE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SigFloyd

[WIP/Release] Brutal Doom SE

Post by SigFloyd »

Yeah, yet another meta-mod of a popular mod. I've been adding to and tweaking Brutal Doom on and off since around v10 or so, and I've shared my own personal version elsewhere with good results so far. It originally started as a sound replacement for an older Brutal Doom and since then I've continually added tweaks and fixes here and there over a couple of years and it ended up being something a little more substantial than what one would expect for a customized Brutal Doom.

Previous Updates
Spoiler:
Recent Updates

11/20/13
+ Added missing sprites for the shotgun in the Alternate Weapon Sprites pack

11/21/13
+ Added slight nudging to the shotgun's reloading animation (from the alternate weapon sprites pack)
+ Removed self damage from kicking severed heads around

11/25/13
+ Added 7 + 1 reloading functionality to the Shotgun
---- Topping off is a bit quicker as a result, as long as you have a shell already chambered
+ Added shootable corpses to the Addons pack
+ Added classic Chainsaw attack to the Addons pack
+ Added smaller blood decals to the Addons pack
+ Fixed player damage from friendly grenades

11/26/13
+ Added magazine capacity display to ZDoom's Alt-HUD

11/27/13
+ Added Persistent Blood & Gore to the Addons pack
+ Tweaked smashed corpses so they can be further smashed into nothing
+ Tweaked dying Knights and Barons not having a head exploding animation when head-shot with a Minigun

11/28/13
+ Polished up the Shotgun's reloading mechanics
+ Fixed fatality attacks sometimes not triggering fatalities when they should
---- This also results in you no longer being able to "sack-tap" Hell Nobles. It's kicks only now.
+ Refined how the various Hell Knight deaths work
+ Fixed smashed remains being unshootable in the Shootable Corpses addon
+ Picking smaller enemies apart with the Minigun is now quicker / more responsive

11/29/13
+ Added No Recoil to the Addons pack
---- Plus a variant with no reloading as well
+ Added Varied Ally Arsenal to the Addons pack
---- Be warned that it can be very glitchy due to how the new Ally Marine system works
---- Implementing all the new features for every Marine variant is very much a work in progress, but you can try it now if you really want it

11/30/13
+ Reduced recoil on the Rifle's ADS fire
---- Addons that affect the Rife have also been updated with this
+ Deselecting Fists is now quicker
+ Getting straight-up headshots on Hell Nobles with the Shotgun is no longer as rare as before
+ Crippled Arachnotrons now have their own active sound
---- They can also be Berserker-punted for extra hilarity

12/02/13
+ Burning Imps have their own sound
---- They can be killed early by shooting/exploding them
---- Gibbing them while close will give a small Cruelty Bonus
+ Fixed bug where if you pressed Reload on certain weapons, it would cause you to change Melee modes upon switching to Fists
+ Fixed bug that made you change Melee modes when crushing grabbed Lost Souls
+ Fixed fatalities not stopping the player's sliding momentum
+ Deselecting larger weapons is now quicker
+ Plasma Gun's reload is now quicker
+ Refined RL grenade behavior
---- For example, grenades now immediately detonate when striking flesh, but bounces off barrels and lamps
---- No more gory pinball between groups of weaker enemies, cool as it was
+ Screen shaking from rockets and grenades have been toned down and don't last as long
+ Destroying smashed remains leaves a larger blood spot
+ Smashed remains can now be more easily destroyed with explosives
+ Fixed bug where kicking down smaller enemies might make them fly in the wrong direction

12/04/13
+ Added Old Mancubus Fireball behavior to the Addons pack
+ Refined Minigun behavior
---- Changing modes and firing is more responsive
---- Deselecting now pays attention to what state the Minigun is in

12/06/13
+ Added Brutal Nazis to the Addons pack
---- Load this before Shootable Corpses, if you use that as well
---- Shootable Corpses has been updated to support Brutal Nazis
+ Tweaked bleeding decorations in the Persistent Blood & Gore addon to not leave behind ever increasing blood spots
---- Load this after Shootable Corpses, if you use that as well

12/06/13
+ Added a Zandronum-friendly version of Brutal Doom SE
---- If you're used to the GZDoom version, things will feel a bit off, due to the quirks and limitations of Zandro

12/09/13
+ Fixed crash when dying in the Zandronum version of SE
+ Made a separate set of mutators that work for Brutal Zandro SE

12/12/13
+ Tweaked the headshot hit boxes of bleeding-out/dying Zombies to be more easily hit
+ Dying Zombies immediately stop their suffering/wailing sound and play their death sound at the moment of death
---- Kicking their heads in ought to shut them up immediately, since they have no head

12/14/13
+ Revised SSG primary fire sound
+ Tweaked Shotgun to allow ADS mode when pumping
---- Press secondary fire after the spent shell appears to quickly go back into ADS
---- It's now possible to pseudo-slam-fire when firing from the hip, and then quickly going into ADS and firing again, resulting in two somewhat quicker consecutive shots. It takes some practice with the timing to pull off reliably.
+ Added optimizations for enemies that the player can't see
+ Added optimizations for dripping corpse decorations
+ Relevant mutators for both versions have also been updated

12/15/13
+ Fixed bug with being able to punch during fatality animations

12/16/13
+ Fixed bug with Barons repeating their taunting animation after being angered by Zombies
---- Shootable Corpses addon has also been updated

12/18/13
+ Fixed bug with smaller enemies not getting knocked down from grenade explosions
+ Added Cruelty Bonus Messages to the Addons Pack
---- This restores notifications when being awarded with Cruelty Bonuses
+ Gave the player character a proper landing sound instead of "UNF!"
---- It's pretty placeholder-y, taken from Duke3D's landing sound

12/23/13
+ Added Alt-Fire attack to the Chainsaw
---- It's fully featured, with combos, a jump attack, and can be powered up with Berserk, which makes the swipes able to rip through multiple enemies except bosses
+ Added Chainsaw No AltFire to the Addons pack for those that want to keep the Chainsaw as it was
---- You can open it up and copy over its contents into BDSE if you want it permanently
+ Fixed bug with Barons disappearing with the Shootable Corpses addon

12/24/13
+ Fixed standard kicking with the Chainsaw behaving inconsistently compared to kicking with other weapons
+ Fixed bug with Cacodemons not splashing you with blue blood when slashing them with the saw AltFire
---- Red still takes precedence over blue, since one still has to overwrite the other or else you could go from red to blue without doing anything if you have both blood types on you
+ Increased Bullet Ammo capacity to 400 / 800
+ Added missing brightmaps to the Improved Doom Brightmaps pack
---- Load this before BDSE, or make it auto-load
+ Added Alternate Weapon Sounds MinigunNoRecoil to the Addons Pack
---- Load this after No Recoil / No Reload
+ Added 300 / 600 Bullet Capacity to the Addons Pack, which lowers your carry amount back to that value

12/26/13
+ Toned down the damage of the Saw combo's final thrust attack
---- Instead, it knocks down weaker enemies in a small area around you
+ Slightly improved the Saw secondary's corpse cutting ability

Download the latest one for GZDoom here.
Current addons for SE in a separate file here.

Download the latest one for Zandronum here.
Current addons for Zandro SE in a separate file here.

Addons of interest:
Special SE compatible version of BlueShadow's NC HUD done by Cryomundus can be found here.
SE compatible versions of Hexereticdoom's BTSX HUD can be found here.
Smart Scavenger, which is SE compatible can be found here.

Here's a compatibility patch for playing Circus 2 with SE, just because. Load this last.

Some item sprites:
Spoiler:
Some videos:
Spoiler:
* Also, in case anyone out there believe I'm committing some sort of theft with this mod, please note that none of my handles appear anywhere within the work. The credits file is fully intact, with additions for the new resources in SE. I claim absolutely nothing. I'm merely the one responsible for putting this edition together and nothing more.
Last edited by SigFloyd on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:37 am, edited 101 times in total.
Abba Zabba

Re: Brutal Doom v19 SE

Post by Abba Zabba »

This sounds really good. I'll take a crack at it tomorrow.
coolster

Post by coolster »

I know i will sound like a broken record. I tested your version and i really dig most of the changes, if you somehow could find a way to restore v19test corpse gibbing i would be in awe, that's literally the only thing i would like to see in one of this modified v19 versions floating around here.
Vict

Post by Vict »

Removing the corpse shooting seems to have improved the performance greatly though, and you can still hit them with explosives. Being able to shoot corpses with bullets was annoying and often got in the way.
PaskaTykki

Post by PaskaTykki »

Very nice changes. Is there possible make Zandronum versio too?

Things what i dislike
- Pump shotgun reloading sound doesn't fit in game.
- Far explosion sound kinda missing.
- When shooting Rifle with iron sight, magically weapon have recoil.
- Player Revenant Launcher seeking missile switch target.
- Shotgun Zombie weird drop change. Bit lucky thing.
- Plasma Rifle second fire long shooting time make it bit impractical.
- Mancubus projectile doesn't have splash damage.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

The shotgun changes seem a bit unnecessary. I mean, it seems more like a downgrade to the shotgun as a whole with no real benefits, less ammo, less chance of getting a shotgun, no buff to the actual gun or damage.

Everything else seems pretty nice, though the old plasma shotgun already had a good bit of recharge before you could use it again, extending it seems silly.
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

Brutal Doom SE is easily my favorite modification of Brutal Doom, improves a ton, much more enjoyable than regular old Brutal Doom.
Cryomundus wrote:The shotgun changes seem a bit unnecessary. I mean, it seems more like a downgrade to the shotgun as a whole with no real benefits, less ammo, less chance of getting a shotgun, no buff to the actual gun or damage.
I haven't had any issues with it at all so far.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

... god dammit i love this.

V18 plasma rifle? Awesome. WITH its alt fire shotgun? Yes!
And recoil/badass shells? YES!

I'm not crazy about the new marine sounds or assault rifle sounds but that's just preference.

This is awesome.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Screenshots, please.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

Hey, this is actually a pretty good edit!
Last edited by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Quick question, whats the rifle/minigun fire sound called? Says it should be "riflef," but my replacement file isn't working.
SigFloyd

Post by SigFloyd »

Max Dickings wrote:Quick question, whats the rifle/minigun fire sound called? Says it should be "riflef," but my replacement file isn't working.
The name of the sound file itself is "dssssit", the SNDINFO refers to it as "riflef". The rifle's secondary burst sound effect is "semiauto". Yeah, it's a misnomer now, but that's what plays for the secondary fire sound. As to the file names of the Minigun's firing sound, there's two sounds. It's "DSMINSLW" for the primary loop, and a combination of that and "minifast" for the secondary.
TheMightyHeracross wrote:Screenshots, please.
There really isn't much in the way of actual visual additions, since almost all of the changes have to do with the sound and animation sequences. There are some different item sprites, though, but they're more subtle in that they merely reflect more details of the guns you hold.
coolster

Post by coolster »

Vict wrote:Removing the corpse shooting seems to have improved the performance greatly though, and you can still hit them with explosives. Being able to shoot corpses with bullets was annoying and often got in the way.
It could always be released as an addon and besides, not all corpses are gibbing when you shoot them with explosives (zombies in particular fly across the room and sometimes fly through walls). But considering everybody somehow hated the corpse gibbing (few bugs that i almost never encountered) i will have to learn some decorate and probably do that myself i guess.

As for Brutal Doom v19 SE i will say this, it's awesome, but i can't kick zombie and imp corpses (you could do that in normal V19 and Enhanced Edition). Also im not a fan of Assault Rifle alternate fire, it's impractical and has way too much recoil.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

SigFloyd wrote:
TheMightyHeracross wrote:Screenshots, please.
There really isn't much in the way of actual visual additions, since almost all of the changes have to do with the sound and animation sequences. There are some different item sprites, though, but they're more subtle in that they merely reflect more details of the guns you hold.
Fair enough.

..This is really good! I had a lot of fun playing this, keep it up!
Only weird thing is that the rifle's semi-auto on hip fire, and 3 round burst on ADS, but that's not too bad. :)
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

TheMightyHeracross wrote: Only weird thing is that the rifle's semi-auto on hip fire, and 3 round burst on ADS, but that's not too bad. :)
What? It's full auto on hip fire.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”