Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marnetmar

Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Marnetmar »

[/idgames link] -- [official site] -- [dev thread]

[Downloaded before the time of this edit? Download it again! The bugs have been ruthlessly squashed!]

Doom 2 The Way id Did is the long awaited sequel to 2011's smash hit gargantuan, Doom The Way id Did. It comprises 32 fully texture-mapped mazes that endeavour to both look and play as though they've come from Dallas, 1994. From the very toiling hands of Sandy, John and American! The idea was originally kicked about by Jason Root aka Hellbent, whose passion for the game and knack for growing enthusiasm resulted in one of the most successful community collaborations in Doomworld history – not to mention an impressive collection of more than 100 total submissions. While not quite as successful as the first project in this regard, painstaking lengths have been made by those involved to ensure that D2TWiD is as true a doppelganger of id's Doom 2 as it could ever be. And we hope you agree!

We also hope you enjoy playing Doom 2 The Way id Did. Unless you disliked the game, in which case we'd be honoured if you regarded it with just as much contempt.

Here, have some promotional media!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

>> Download! <<

D2TWiD reserves the right to contain horrifyingly awful bugs and breaks. If you've found one, chances are it has been subjected to twid software's Leave It In™ policy. If you think whatever it is you've found is just too horrendous to go unchallenged, however (the map cannot be completed. The map doesn't exist), please report it in here and we'll do what we can to correct the issue.

List of fixes made [last edit]:
  • Removed teleporter closet above sector [84] in map02
  • Removed multiplayer flag from SSG in map06
  • Added easy and medium difficulty flags to RL in map06
  • Fixed erroneously red-locked yellow key door in map09
  • Changed position of walkover line from [766] to [415] in map25
  • Unlocked sector [84] in map20
  • raised exterior of exit door by 8 units in map21.
  • Removed unneeded LANGUAGE lump
  • Fixed broken teleporter closet in map25.
Last edited by Marnetmar on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
lizardcommando

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by lizardcommando »

Awesome! I'm gonna test this out when I get the chance.
E.C.S

Post by E.C.S »

OMGOMGOMGOMG! *Takes a deep breath*

Neat, time to blow some skulls.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

2~ years of work. ~6,5 megs.
HELL YEAH. Time to avenge my damn bunny. Again.

(The lens flare on the logo tells me that this is quality stuff.)

Map33, eh? Wasn't exactly difficult to find. :P
Last edited by Slax on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Some of these levels are kind of, I dunno, dull.
TheAdmantArchvile

Post by TheAdmantArchvile »

Those secret levels were great.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

I think Marnetmar has gone to bed, so I should just mention here that the latest version is at http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/D2TWID.zip -- there were some odd ZDoom-related bugs relating to the secret maps, that are now fixed.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

This is everything I expected and was hoping for. Amazing job! It's especially fun to spot the differences from previous versions. Everything about it seems slick and well thought out!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

SamVision wrote:Some of these levels are kind of, I dunno, dull.
I think this applies to some of the original Doom 2 levels, as well. So... :P
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Blue Shadow wrote:I think this applies to some of the original Doom 2 levels, as well. So... :P
Agreed. I was never really a big fan of DOOM II levels, they were such a huge departure from the style of the first game. I liked the somewhat cramped and claustrophobic hallway design of the first as opposed to the big open areas of the second. While I did enjoy some of the levels and certainly the new monsters, for the most part I felt many of the Doom 2 levels were kind of dull and uninspired compared the first game. Hell, some of them were even recycled left-overs from the first game. The music was also much less memorable. Just about every level from the first Doom have fond memories of. That is, except for E2M5: Command Control and E3M5: Unholy Cathedral which are the only two levels from the original Doom I can say I hate.
Last edited by CeeJay on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

SamVision wrote:I think this applies to some of the original Doom 2 levels, as well. So... :P
I never said this but I agree.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Sorry 'bout that
Marnetmar

Post by Marnetmar »

esselfortium wrote:I think Marnetmar has gone to bed, so I should just mention here that the latest version is at http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/D2TWID.zip -- there were some odd ZDoom-related bugs relating to the secret maps, that are now fixed.
Updated OP.
Doomguy 2000

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

Well I guess the video I made for this a year ago was actually a sneak peak of Doom 2 The Way Id did it considering this is one of Essel's levels. The only thing that was different was me playing this with Doomguy's Warzone Gold Edition under the Real Life Enemies difficulty.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

I love the maps and enjoy seeing bits and pieces of rooms that look very similar to the originals yet being unique in their own way.

I also love how you made the icon of sin map actually more challenging rather than the cakewalk it is now with features like mouselook.

Excellent job overall, hope it wins a cacoward this year!

Return to “Levels”