[WIP] MJ79's 1st Doom Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jeimuzu73

[WIP] MJ79's 1st Doom Mod

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

I try making a Doom mod for the first time. As you can see, it's built from scratch with a lil' help from wildweasel's Nazis mod. :roll:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pogre ... 282%29.zip
Spoiler:
Image Image
Last edited by Jeimuzu73 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheMightyHeracross

Re: [WIP] MJ79's 1st Doom Mod

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

No pics, no clicks.
EDIT: Thanks.
Last edited by TheMightyHeracross on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Here is some feedback.
  • You should really replace the default playerclass so that you start with the correct weapon, instead of the Doom pistol that you cannot reselect once you've received a new weapon.
  • Your two pistols are nigh indistinguishable from one another as far as function. Why not pick one over the other, so that you can hand players a bit more ammo for it?
  • The pistols are also incredibly weak; even the Colt .45 takes more than one magazine to take down a single Imp.
  • Same with the SMGs: pick one or the other, instead of having two that act nearly the same.
  • The MAC10 is pretty much unusable at anything other than melee range, due to its extremely low damage, heavy recoil, and overly large bullet spread.
  • And the same deal with the two machineguns: pick either the RPK or the M249, because they're similar enough that there really only needs to be one of them.
  • No replacements for melee weapons, rockets, plasma, or BFG.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

I opened the .zip to take the mod out...
...and the .zip was the mod. Don't do that. Make it a .pk3.
OK, now where the Hell are your credits? I see a bunch of crap in here uncredited.
-Those bullets are directly ripped from Terrorists! And you even left the comments in!
-The Tommy is from Blood
-I remember seeing the Uzi around here somewhere, it was also in Terrorists!, but was around before that mod.
Seriously, I freaking hate when people don't credit their sources. Not cool. At all. :glare:
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

You needn't be so harsh, but I agree credits are much appreciated.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

the screenshots very visibly show the bullets moving in a different direction than the guns are pointing.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Huh, it doesn't even have the grenade launching assault rifle I was helping you with. I did wonder where you'd gone after my last post.

Well, at least stylistically, your guns all sound and look like they fit together. That's good.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:I opened the .zip to take the mod out...
...and the .zip was the mod. Don't do that. Make it a .pk3.
OK, now where the Hell are your credits? I see a bunch of crap in here uncredited.
-Those bullets are directly ripped from Terrorists! And you even left the comments in!
-The Tommy is from Blood
-I remember seeing the Uzi around here somewhere, it was also in Terrorists!, but was around before that mod.
Seriously, I freaking hate when people don't credit their sources. Not cool. At all. :glare:
Since my ideas for Doom mods are in my head while there's other stuff I'm making, I'll start crediting when I continue to try making Doom mods.
BTW Maybe I should have held the doom mod back, but I want other members to know that I'm more than just a troll on these forums.
PS I've seen drspam's posts and...surely you can trust me to take care of my mods better.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Yholl wrote:...
Well, at least stylistically, your guns all sound and look like they fit together. That's good.
i beg to differ; almost of this wad's sounds are poorly recorded also low memorized 90's stereotypical PC arcade action game's sounds to me. really, really their sounds need to be improved whatever it costs. but it could be intensional if he wanted to back to the past, or not, those quality of those sounds are bad hearing. and no offence, just showing my critic spirit.

AND, this wad sure has a good charming point; it has a smooth animations. congrats for that!
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

A good mod but with some fixes to do (Note this is just my opinion and doesn't mean your mod has defects)

1 - Almost all weapons shoot randomly(or at least seems to do so), making it almost impossible to kill an enemy from a distance if you don't have a rocket launcher or a BFG

2 - All weapons are shooting from the center and not from cannon of the weapons - just a little offset fix should solve that

3 - Too many rapid fire guns. Good old shotgun is still the weapon of choice for many of us. However a big plus for you is the number of weapons. Lots of different weapons is always a plus for a mod or a wad. But keep in mind if all the weapons are automatic with almost same damage more or less. Gameplay can become boring if all the guns feel the same and offer the same gameplay with just small variants.

Despise all that you managed to make a really good mod, enjoyable and fun to play :D For a first mod it's really impressive and even if it's not perfect, it's a d*** good start :D

P.S. : I will follow your mod with great interest :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”