Does anyone play without Brutal Doom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
darbyjack

Does anyone play without Brutal Doom?

Post by darbyjack »

Whenever I play doom without Brutal Doom, it just feels empty.

Very much like 11 years ago and Bouncy pointed out Zdoom - I could never go back to Vanilla!
Nash

Re: Does anyone play without Brutal Doom?

Post by Nash »

Me.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

darbyjack wrote:Whenever I play doom without Brutal Doom, it just feels empty.

Very much like 11 years ago and Bouncy pointed out Zdoom - I could never go back to Vanilla!
The one thing that ticks me off about Brutal Doom is how everyone thinks it is the be all and end all of all mods. I play Vanilla DooM all the time, I also play with other mods. Such as Minigunner's "Polished Skull", Wildweasel's various of mods from "Batteries Still Not Included" to "Nazis", hell. I even play Russian Overkill. I lost my interest in Brutal Doom upon learning various of things about Sgt. Mark IV that I personally don't like. Even more with the recent events that revolved around him. But; yes. People do play Doom without the "Brutal" in front of it. It's just the newer folks of people (note that I said 'newer') find Brutal Doom on YouTube, think it's the most amazing thing in the world then proceeds to download and doesn't pay attention to the other hard work that other modders have spent their time on. When said people do find other mods, they often ask for it to be compatible with Brutal Doom or refuse to play it, thinking said mod ripped off from Brutal Doom, despite it being made years before Brutal Doom came to exist.

Now, I can see some people wanting to make a reply to this post, telling me that I'm either butthurt, or report this post for me personally attacking Sgt. Mark IV - and trust me, I haven't done that yet. But rather, taking up the group of the newer members and insulting them (not even that) as a whole. The recent influx of 'HALP BRUTAL DOOM NO WORK' and 'HALP ME GET MOD WORK WIT DA BRUTAL DEWM' .. It's rather disheartening. I will help the said people, they're new to the ZDoom Community, but I also give in little hints. Try out Nazis, try out Reelism, try out Russian Overkill with the Ketchup Mod for absolute hilarity - but don't think Brutal Doom is the only thing out there on the market. Also, it's best to not bring up a thread like this again to avoid any arguments that I promise you, will follow here sooner or later or until an admin locks this down and it'll just melt away into the purge.

I would like to thank you though, OP, for not thinking Brutal Doom is the only thing out there. Everything above this line is me ranting on my dislike of the recent change of events. Not everyone likes change, and not all change is good.
darbyjack

Post by darbyjack »

Ah fair enough, forgive me I don't keep up with Doom as much as I used to. I shall try those wads you mentioned :)
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

darbyjack wrote:Ah fair enough, forgive me I don't keep up with Doom as much as I used to. I shall try those wads you mentioned :)
It's fine. I just need to keep up the quota of me bashing Brutal Doom whenever I can. :mrgreen:
Every forum needs a grandpa waving his cane around yelling 'God damn kids! Stay off mah lawhn!'
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

I don't think I even have a version of it on my computer at the moment.

It was a fun diversion when I tried it, but that was about it. It made Doom far too "easy mode" for my liking.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Hellser:
I think it's silly to boycott a mod because of something the creator did, but bashing it whenever you can is stupid. What's the point in doing that, really? :|
But I agree that Brutal Doom is overrated, I mean I play it, and I think it's a good mod, but people going all fanboy saying "HARDUM IS RIPPOF OF BRTUL DOOM!" and all that is stupid.
darbyjack

Post by darbyjack »

I wasn't aware of all the politics that came along with this mod lol! I'm surprised you say it makes it easy, GooberMan, I find BrutalDoom makes things rather difficult (at least the current version does!)
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:Hellser:
I think it's silly to boycott a mod because of something the creator did, but bashing it whenever you can is stupid. What's the point in doing that, really? :|
I'm not saying boycott it. I just didn't like the mod, and even more so with what the creator did... and I got to do something on this forum. Can't just lurk all day. :P
Spoiler:
darbyjack

Post by darbyjack »

Now I'm dying to know what he did - spill the beans!
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Would probably be better if someone could send Darbyjack a PM about that. No sense in risking another shitstorm in here. It's still a rather volatile topic.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

I went ahead and did so, but if he wants to get a full story, someone else should tell him. I just gave him a roughed down version.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

I don't think I've actually "played" Doom in quite a few months. I test Doom constantly. But anyway, I don't think I've touched Brutal Doom since the last actual release, mostly because I prefered not playing with the test builds. I would probably have played it more often, but goddamn Zandronum and it's "Missed more than 1024 packets; destroying world" makes multiplayer impossible for me, and I only generally play multiplayer Doom these days.
darbyjack

Post by darbyjack »

From what I've got so far, Sgt Mark doesn't score too highly on my list of evil people! I wouldn't go as far as saying Brutal Doom is overrated since I enjoy it so much.. But I definitely understand why people don't like it too much. Btw Reelism is quite cool, thanks for bringing it to my attention! :) Polished Skull I didn't find too amazing, I appreciate that it doesn't change too much like Brutal Doom does, I agree sometimes change isn't always best, but I'm always open to different things! In terms of 'enchancement' wads go, is there anything better than Brutal Doom?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

To be on topic, I gave Brutal Doom about an hour of play before I decided I had better mods to play. Not to be harshing on Brutal, but its gameplay concepts really do not work well with the way I play Doom; I'm less of a "rip and tear" person and more of a Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six sort of "tacticool" player. I constantly use map geometry as cover (I force-enable crouching if a WAD disables it), and very much prefer weapon sets that increase weapon power but include slow-ish reload cycles (Crossfire is a recent favorite of mine, when I'm not playing with my own mods).

Return to “General”