Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by NightFright »

I think especially with the Doomguy Visor Mod, this thing could really shine. Anyway, I intend to buy an OR once it's sophisticated enough, and Doom will certainly be my first title to try with it. Good to know it will be ready by the time this happens! ^^
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

yeah, a hud visor will make the game more inmersive. Also biospud, did you check how did Quake II Oculus Rift? On Quake II you can choose how to aim, looking or aim independently with the mouse. In that way, you also could play adding exotic controller like Razer Hydra.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:yeah, a hud visor will make the game more inmersive. Also biospud, did you check how did Quake II Oculus Rift? On Quake II you can choose how to aim, looking or aim independently with the mouse. In that way, you also could play adding exotic controller like Razer Hydra.
Yes, I think aiming with the mouse would be cool. But I'll probably prioritize fixing bugs first. I do have a Razer Hydra, and independent aiming is on my list: https://github.com/cmbruns/gzdoom/issues/5
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Ah great indeed! So far is working very fine, with only some glitches with floors when going upstairs for example but please take your time :=) To me, the only minor issue is the small hud weapon. Other than that, im enjoying lot of wads (and im really enjoying playing a game with the oculus, more than trying stuff)

I wonder when new wads will be able to take advantage of this :)
janiform

Post by janiform »

Could someone with a Rift please record a video of themselves playing map02 of gravity.wad with the Rift? I can only assume it would be a profound experience.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:Ah great indeed! So far is working very fine, with only some glitches with floors when going upstairs for example but please take your time :=) To me, the only minor issue is the small hud weapon. Other than that, im enjoying lot of wads (and im really enjoying playing a game with the oculus, more than trying stuff)

I wonder when new wads will be able to take advantage of this :)
The glitches you saw on the stairs might be gone in today's new release (1.8.2_c), because I overhauled the height adjustment system. The hud weapon size has been slightly increased too.
Summary of changes in 1.8.2_c:
* Correct crosshair placement at high pitch angles.
* Correct placement of site-down-weapon weapon in Brutal Doom in Rift mode.
* Screenshots in Rift mode work again.
* Weapon is a bit larger than in version 1.8.2_b.
* Weapon position is where it should be (for its size)
* Setting vr_player_height cvar to your personal actual height in meters should make your feet just reach the ground.
* Setting vr_view_yoffset to a value like 5 (map units) makes you taller so you're not so much shorter than the monsters.

Get the latest version at http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

It works great now :)

Also, i tried something, instead of playing with 1680x1050 on GzDooM resolution, i changed ingame to 1280x800. And i found something great, at1280x800 i get more rough edges, but the world seems bigger and more close to the size of real world!!!

Edit: Seems this version make some wads to crash. For example, i've tried the Aliens Colonial Marines TC, and crashed with maps e1m1, e1m2 and r1m3. But for example, trying the map savage survival, it works.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:It works great now :)

Also, i tried something, instead of playing with 1680x1050 on GzDooM resolution, i changed ingame to 1280x800. And i found something great, at1280x800 i get more rough edges, but the world seems bigger and more close to the size of real world!!!
Hmm. Sounds like I need to be handling the aspect ratio better in Oculus Rift mode. By the way, I usually play/test in 1920x1080 these days.
Naitguolf wrote:Edit: Seems this version make some wads to crash. For example, i've tried the Aliens Colonial Marines TC, and crashed with maps e1m1, e1m2 and r1m3. But for example, trying the map savage survival, it works.
Thanks again for the detailed issue report. Are you certain these levels did not crash previous versions of GZ3Doom?
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

biospud wrote: Thanks again for the detailed issue report. Are you certain these levels did not crash previous versions of GZ3Doom?
Yeah, sure. The previusly version worked fine, but now crashes. I will attach the crash. Please let me know if i can do something else.

About the resolution, seems more easy to my eye to play with 1280x800, more pleasant, but looks a little worse. But the world seems bigger and more real! Did you try it? I think this is something very hard to explain.

Edit: I renamed gz3doom.exe to gzdoom.exe

I found how to not to crash with the mod. If i start the game on "2d", then load the first map and after that, use vr_mode 8, will work. But, if i run the game with +vr_mode 8 command line, when i choose the first map, crash.

Not related, i've tried gravaty wad, while impressive, i cannot play because lag too much!! :_( i needed to stop to play
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(22.48 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Marnetmar

Post by Marnetmar »

Someone needs to play cybie.wad with this.
cool2000m

Post by cool2000m »

there's a major regression in vr_mode 2 (red/cyan anaglyph) in the latest release. The anaglyph no longer works. the views are tilted and don't match up like release B did.
biospud

Post by biospud »

cool2000m wrote:there's a major regression in vr_mode 2 (red/cyan anaglyph) in the latest release. The anaglyph no longer works. the views are tilted and don't match up like release B did.
Yes, sorry about that. I've just put up a new release, version 1.8.2_d, with the following changes:
* Fix terrible units bug in frustum shift for all non-Rift 3D modes
* Add Rift view angle prediction with hard-coded latency of 20 ms

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

All users are encouraged to upgrade to the latest version now:
http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Great, the bug https://github.com/cmbruns/gzdoom/issues/15 seems fixed in the last version!
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:Great, the bug https://github.com/cmbruns/gzdoom/issues/15 seems fixed in the last version!
Really? The radiation-suit-causes-green-only-in-right-eye is fixed? I had not yet tried to solve that problem yet. But if it's fixed, that's great!
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:It works great now :)
I've just posted a new release, which might allow the different resolutions to work better. Please try it and let me know.
http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/

Version 1.8.2_e November 4, 2013
* Fix aspect ratio for Oculus Rift dev model.
* Capturing images/movies with FRAPS works again.
* Right eye no longer gets double effect from radiation suit, pickups, and other "blend" operations

Return to “Game Engines”