[WIP] The Trailblazer

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
iSpook

Re: [WIP] The Trailblazer

Post by iSpook »

That's the way it should be: Less thinking, more mindless "Madness Combat"-level of gunplay and style... even if Fridge mode would be awesome.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

DoomNukem wrote:The parody is clear enough with the childish simplicity without adding any shock value or deliberate controversy. I wasnt even going to depict her getting shot or show her corpse, those suggestions strike me as tasteless and the jokes might even completely miss viewers.
Not that I care too much about the whole feud Jinal is trying to stir, but I think it's an extraordinarily weak parody.
There's not really much in the way of actually taking the piss out of things--you're taking a generic story and playing it entirely straight. I guess the joke is supposed to be how generic it is? I don't think that's really a punchline, because the basic type of story in and of itself really isn't funny: Retired military guy haunted by past tragedies gets brought back onto the force by an old commander for one last shot at revenge. Not really a whole lot of humor there.
Humor is made by subverting expectations, not playing right into them.

If you wanna call it a P-word, I'd say it's better as a pastiche. Or even better as a "Pah, I made up something short and quick for an animation final". :p
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

Yeah ill pay that parody was the wrong word the humor was not deliberate or completely intentional but ive shown people who have had a laugh, the whole thing wasnt meant to be serious or comedic I think pastiche might be a better word if not a little bit negative.

"I guess the joke is supposed to be how generic it is"

Yes again i was unable to express myself clearly but thats sums it up, its not meant to be hilarious or deadly serious.

I don't understand why people are looking for depth or substance in the narrative I never pinned it as arthouse or anythig other than what it is.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

DO WANT. DO WANT VERY LOTS
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

DoomNukem wrote:Yeah ill pay that parody was the wrong word the humor was not deliberate or completely intentional but ive shown people who have had a laugh, the whole thing wasnt meant to be serious or comedic I think pastiche might be a better word if not a little bit negative.

"I guess the joke is supposed to be how generic it is"

Yes again i was unable to express myself clearly but thats sums it up, its not meant to be hilarious or deadly serious.

I don't understand why people are looking for depth or substance in the narrative I never pinned it as arthouse or anythig other than what it is.
Just looking for something coherent, really.

The way you've tried to explain it now just makes it look that much worse compared to everything else in the mod. :|

That said, one more idea that would make the entire thing work perfectly:
- Exactly the same as what is going on now, except Vlad is the fridge.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

You know, what can I say?

EPIC FRIDGE.

also, your story was pretty decent, if not slightly corny, and it gave me an idea to suggest... Booze and Cigarettes.
Please try the mod below with EDGE; it was the last great project of Cory Whittle. It featured a great storyline, and
some innovative gameplay, but the thing that i always wanted to see in a mod is smoking and drinking to improve health and armor,
I thought that was a really interesting gameplay mechanic. Perhaps one day I may just make it as a stand alone thing,
but i feel this would fit your mod perfectly.

once again, try the mod out and see what you think, i think this might have some good inspiration from you :)

wolfman wrote:
doomer1 wrote:Cory Whittle is famous for two things really, ICD-SE and Don's challenge DC1DEMO

what noone remembers is he did have a download link for episode 2, the totally awesome reworking of the original. better weapons, russian roulette, puking if you drink to much, upgrade kits galore.

Does anyone have DC2 ?
Don's Challenge 1 (December 2006 release)

From dcdemo.txt:

Code: Select all

-9: Russian Roulette:
	     Load a round, spin the cylinder, take your chances. If you win, you get an adrenaline
	     boost. If you lose, you die.

-8: Bottle of Whiskey:
	     Drink it to feel less vulnerable to pain (gives armor). If you drink too much, you may
	     puke. Hold attack to chug. Use alt attack to throw the bottle, but only if it's full.
	     Only heals up to 100%, no more.
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

DoomNukem wrote: This is actually almost finished and the due date is next wednsday I simply dont have time to make any drastic changes even if I wanted to. This is way over thinking it, I think ill leave it the way it is, I couldnt care less for dissecting it into tropes and whatnot.
Wait, the mod itself is almost done, or like the little cutscene you're working on or what?
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

Wait, the mod itself is almost done, or like the little cutscene you're working on or what?

The short animation, the mods a while off due to other priorities.

Vaecrius wrote:
The way you've tried to explain it now just makes it look that much worse compared to everything else in the mod. :|

That said, one more idea that would make the entire thing work perfectly:
- Exactly the same as what is going on now, except Vlad is the fridge.
A sentient A.I. Fridge that went rogue hell bent on freezing the planet or something like that.
but yeah I think i've Over-explained it and confused myself, I just wanted to do something corny for my class, and thought it would tie in well with the mod to boost motivation.

like I said earlier its a bit late for me to do anything drastic but I think a fridge that appears in the background of all the dr.vlad/wife scenes that gets closer and closer to the camera each time could work, something subtle like that or I can have vlad tie the wife to a chair and dangle a fridge on a rope above her and vlad could shoot trailblazer in the eye, trailblazer shoots back but the bullet hits the rope releasing the fridge squashing her. I dunno, ill sleep on it man am I tired.

doomer1 wrote:You know, what can I say?

EPIC FRIDGE.

also, your story was pretty decent, if not slightly corny, and it gave me an idea to suggest... Booze and Cigarettes.
Please try the mod below with EDGE; it was the last great project of Cory Whittle. It featured a great storyline, and
some innovative gameplay, but the thing that i always wanted to see in a mod is smoking and drinking to improve health and armor,
I thought that was a really interesting gameplay mechanic. Perhaps one day I may just make it as a stand alone thing,
but i feel this would fit your mod perfectly.

once again, try the mod out and see what you think, i think this might have some good inspiration from you :)

wolfman wrote:
doomer1 wrote:Cory Whittle is famous for two things really, ICD-SE and Don's challenge DC1DEMO

what noone remembers is he did have a download link for episode 2, the totally awesome reworking of the original. better weapons, russian roulette, puking if you drink to much, upgrade kits galore.

Does anyone have DC2 ?
Don's Challenge 1 (December 2006 release)

From dcdemo.txt:

-9: Russian Roulette:
	     Load a round, spin the cylinder, take your chances. If you win, you get an adrenaline
	     boost. If you lose, you die.

-8: Bottle of Whiskey:
	     Drink it to feel less vulnerable to pain (gives armor). If you drink too much, you may
	     puke. Hold attack to chug. Use alt attack to throw the bottle, but only if it's full.
	     Only heals up to 100%, no more.
Thankyou so much, I was actually looking to include smoking into the mod, and I think the drinking is also an awesome addition.
I will have to pass this onto pillowblaster to have a look at its technicalities as I'm hopeless code/script, more of graphics guy.

Also Im sure people want to hear about progress or updates about the actual mod itself so here is some stuff I have been working on recently.

This was done a while ago, we're still thinking of a fun way to incorporate it at the moment, Im actually thinking it might be more suited to being a weapon like a bike summoned out of fire or something dunno yet.

really liked Shadow warriors railgun so I thought i'd have a go at making something along the same lines.

This is the second bfg, the first being the 2bore rifle seen in the gameplay trailer, probably will be quite OP but pillowblast suggested fire select modes which would be cool.
Last edited by DoomNukem on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

Man oh man I cannot wait for this. I didn't think it would be out so soon. This, and The Space Pirate both are gonna have me pretty entertained with Doom for quite awhile.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Oh my fucking god, between Vaecrius, Jinal, and now even Terminus, you guys are overthinking this way too much and in the wrong direction. xD

The plot is, in typical 90's/early 2000's FPS fashion, purposely ridiculous and contrived. It exists solely to give a throwaway excuse for shooting everything in front of you. I think DoomNukem just said it was a parody to get you guys off his back about it, and you're going relatively apeshit over it. :P It's not supposed to be good, meaningful, or really even there, and that's why it's perfect and shouldn't be changed. Trying to shoehorn social commentary into it would make DoomNukem and anyone else involved look like pretentious twats on the level of hipster indie dev John Blow.

...You know, I have a feeling you'd make great Language Arts teachers in US high schools. :v
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

This is beautiful, looks like Russian Overkill had a forgotten evil twin! :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

gotta love that big MOTHERFUCKING gun, cannot wait anymore!
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Triple S wrote:Try not to read into it too much, lest you be schooled by those who are far better at it than yourself.
Triple S wrote:(...) look like pretentious twats (...)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

WOWZERS those sprite are hot!

I'm glad you like my idea, i am unfortunately not a decorate guru by any means, but there are a couple of ways this could go.

Smoking
Spoiler:
Drinking
Spoiler:
OTHER INTERESTING CONCEPTS
Spoiler:
Thats all I have really on that whole topic, if you implement any of it, cool, if not, I'll still be looking foward to the release of The Trailblazer!
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

torridGristle wrote:
Triple S wrote:Try not to read into it too much, lest you be schooled by those who are far better at it than yourself.
Triple S wrote:(...) look like pretentious twats (...)
(img cut for space(jam))
Oh man you sure showed me a thing or two :cry: I need to go reflect on my life

wait

no

1/10 didn't pay enough for a good review

Why don't you leave making fun of me to seasoned professionals like, well, me. You can start with something easier like pretending I don't exist. Maybe someday you'll be able to take me about as seriously as I do.

EDIT: Man, I didn't mean to derail things this much, haha. I've had my fun, carry on everyone (as if I wasn't the only one still off-topic). I'll stop ruining this grand topic.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”