AAPTR_MINION

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

amv2k9

AAPTR_MINION

Post by amv2k9 »

The companion to AAPTR_MASTER, allowing action functions such as A_GiveInventory when called by a master, to access its 'children'.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: AAPTR_MINION

Post by Graf Zahl »

So, which 'minion'? Sorry, but since there is no guarantee what actor might get picked, this is mostly useless.
The AAPTR_ feature tracks specific pointers in the Actor structure and this has no corresponding element.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

(shouldn't it be AAPTR_CHILDREN?)
I would've guessed it to mean ALL OF THEM "everything that refers to the calling actor as master"
You could do some cool stuff with that... e.g. a boss, in its pain state, gives its spawns an item that triggers them to teleport randomly around it as a shield, or one of its attacks signaling them to self-destruct, or something.

I mean, we have A_Damage/Kill/Raise/RemoveChildren, so there's apparently some way for an actor to tell which actors are its "children" and then do something to them.
(similarly, AAPTR_SIBLING would look for anything with the same master)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Ethril wrote:I mean, we have A_Damage/Kill/Raise/RemoveChildren, so there's apparently some way for an actor to tell which actors are its "children" and then do something to them.
Graf Zahl wrote:The AAPTR_ feature tracks specific pointers in the Actor structure and this has no corresponding element.
The functions you listed aren't pointers. APPTR_ obviously is a pointer. So no, it doesn't work.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

In that case, A_GiveToChildren or A_CheckChildInventory might be the better suggestion. Is that even doable?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

A_GiveToChildren should be doable.
A_CheckChildInventory has the same problem as the original suggestion. Which child?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Graf Zahl wrote:A_CheckChildInventory has the same problem as the original suggestion. Which child?
The only way I think this could work is all or nothing, and that's not very useful when you potentially have a hundred actors to keep track of.

Would there be a way to check to see if at least one child has an item?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Of course, but such a function still would be rather useless. We are entering WFDS territory here.
AlphaEnt
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AlphaEnt »

Snarboo wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:A_CheckChildInventory has the same problem as the original suggestion. Which child?
The only way I think this could work is all or nothing, and that's not very useful when you potentially have a hundred actors to keep track of.

Would there be a way to check to see if at least one child has an item?
What about:
A_CheckChildInventory ("specific child type", "specific inventory", inventory amount, "state")

btw, i've never used a children at all, so maybe i've said nosense.

I've just related A_CheckChildInventory with A_CheckInventory.

Btw, sorry for my english, GZ =P
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Graf Zahl wrote:A_GiveToChildren should be doable
This is basically what I was interested in doing in the first place; parent actors giving stuff to child actors.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”