[The Original] Conan the Barbarian (Crappy preview released)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ThomsonI

[The Original] Conan the Barbarian (Crappy preview released)

Post by ThomsonI »

Crappy preview download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/25jewfa3caqjo ... review.wad

Please note before loading it that I've totally screwed up on offsets (will be fixed in the first proper release, somehow got the impression it was relative instead of absolute), several weapons are commented out because I'm still getting different errors with them or haven't even filled them in enough to get errors, and I've set the weapon speeds to the minimum to just get the proportions the way I want (I plan on adding 1 tic to every frame until it looks right for the next release). This is mainly to commemorate yesterday being Conan creator Robert E Howard's birthday, and also let people with WAD editors see what I'm up to.

Players... Crom laughs at you!
What is a keyboard compared to the hand that wields it?
Solve the riddle of steel!
Crush your enemies!
See them driven before you!
And hear the lamentations of their women!
Do you want to live forever?

Conan the Barbarian will be a cross-platform game/mod that replaces weapons and enemies to serve as a base for optional levels, all with kind of an early 90s RPG feel. Canon (should anyone here care) will be an open-ended mix of the original Howard stories, the movies, and the Dark Horse comic series. I have two characters mostly done (Conan, and Subotai the archer), another almost ready to implement (Malak the thief), and a caster character planned out (Akiro the wizard).

Conan has mostly standard Doomguy stats (technically 99 health with a stamina enhancement bumping it back to 100), starts with fists and a long sword, and can use any physical weapon in the game. Conan also has a chance of going into an invigorating rage when injured. Subotai has 80 health, is a little shorter, but is a harder to hit target (radius 14, RadiusDamageFactor 0.85), is overall more lighter, quicker, and agile (speed 1.1, gravity 0.9, Player.JumpZ 8.8), and sneakier (there's no chance for the alert monsters code to pop up when moving about, will be increased to almost no chance when Malak is included). He starts with fists, a bow, and a Hyrkanian sword; but can't use some of the heaver swords.

Malak will have 60 health, be a smaller and nimble target (14 radius, RadiusDamage factor 0.85), is even lighter, quicker, and more agile than Subotai (speed 1.25, gravity 0.8, Player.JumpZ 9), and sneakier (there's no chance for the sneak script to alert nearby monsters). He'll won't be able to use most of the two-handed weapons. Akiro will have 50 health, be a slightly smaller target (15 radius), but nowhere near as spry as Conan or Subotai (speed 0.9, Player.JumpZ 6.4). His light frame (gravity 0.9) actually becomes a hindrance where it is otherwise a boon for Subotai. He does have more resistance to magical explosions however (RadiusDamageFactor 0.70), and gains a variety of spells (which will not require any sort of "mana" ammo, but will be balanced by having to enter a code for each code).

Weapons have a chance for critical hits and for breaking. Maximum damage and the number of tics in the attack animation will be tied together, but minimum damage, range, critical chance, and breaking chance all vary regardless of speed. I'm still balancing this, though part of the problem is that I just need to outright replace all the enemies.

Weapons I've implemented or am working on:
Spoiler:
Pics (All taken in the first map of Rylaheh.WAD)
Spoiler:
Work so far and plans
Spoiler:
Credits and thank you's:
Spoiler:
Last edited by ThomsonI on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
Valherran

Re: Conan the Barbarian

Post by Valherran »

This sounds fun, hope it's done soon. :-)
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Like like like like it!! good way to go back into hexen and maybe heretic ;)
try to do a well balance with all those weapons nobody want to have 30 swords and hammers and feel they do the same, for the rest just waiting to see what crazy stuff may add on future
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Wow this looks and sounds amazing!
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Might wanna spoiler-ise those lists.
But this looks really fun to play! :D
Also, if you have page turning frames for the spellbook, you can use the multiple altfire system like the demo I have, for an even better spellbook system.
ThomsonI

Post by ThomsonI »

I did try to spoiler the lists, but it capped at 5 spoilers for some reason (rearranged things now that I've had some sleep). Unfortunately, I don't have page turning frames.
Mav3rick wrote:Like like like like it!! good way to go back into hexen and maybe heretic ;)
try to do a well balance with all those weapons nobody want to have 30 swords and hammers and feel they do the same, for the rest just waiting to see what crazy stuff may add on future
I will be making it compatible with Hexen and Heretic eventually, just starting with Doom because that's what I'm most familiar with

I'm trying to give the weapons a diversity of effects. For example, the Stygian sword has the same crit chance, range, and speed as the Atlantean sword, but it deals half as much damage, is tied with the Hyrkanian sword as the flimsiest weapon in the game, and sucks life from targets. Since the swords were put in first, they're the closest to being balanced.

Some of those effects won't work until I start replacing the enemies, which I'm going to have to start doing more work on. I'm planning on the warhammer to have a pretty vicious knockback compared to the mace, but the mace will hopefully have a stun effect on living enemies. The blunt weapons already have a lower crit chance compared to the edged weapons, but I'm working on making them more effective against undead and armored targets.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

This actually looks pretty cool, I'm looking forward to playing it.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

This looks like a barrel of laughs. I'll be watching.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Greetings.

It appears that this mod of yours will indeed be a lot of fun and offer a huge amount of replayability, given the differences between the various characters.

I have a question however: Is the "breaking" system going to work similarly to that in Witchaven? I mean, after a certain number of uses (or a very unfortunate check), the weapon breaks and becomes useless, so it needs to be replaced later on by another weapon either found laying somewhere or dropped by an enemy?
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Greetings.

It appears that this mod of yours will indeed be a lot of fun and offer a huge amount of replayability, given the differences between the various characters.

I have a question however: Is the "breaking" system going to work similarly to that in Witchaven? I mean, after a certain number of uses (or a very unfortunate check), the weapon breaks and becomes useless, so it needs to be replaced later on by another weapon either found laying somewhere or dropped by an enemy?
It certainly looks that way given how he described it. Hopefully replacement weapons are common if weapon breakage is as common as this sounds. Given there's also so many weapons, it may be a good idea to limit the number of weapon slots you get, six weapons at once sounds about right, not counting your fists of course, and you can swap out weapons with ones dropped by enemies using a manual pickup system as seen in Hideous Destructor. This would also introduce a bit of thought to what weapons you're carrying. Do I carry this Stabby Rapier of Stabbing +2 which pokes eyes out with lightning speed but breaks if you breathe on it incorrectly, or this Sword of Ultimate Deathing +1, which is also cool but it's kinda slow although it's probably never gonna break unless I hit a solid adamantium wall with it? Decisions, decisions.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

This sounds really cool and I'm excited to play it!
ThomsonI

Post by ThomsonI »

At the moment, weapon breakage is a double A_Jump check, so the worst chances still ultimately still close to 1 in some thousands (again, still balancing them, but the nigh-indestructable Atlantean sword has a 1/65025 chance of breaking, merely so that there is a chance of it breaking, even if it's never going to happen). It's not meant so much as an ammunition replacement as an additional balancing point, handled more or less the way my friends and I do "critical failures" in D&D (rolling a natural 1 doesn't automatically mean your weapon breaks, there's an additional check to see if bad stuff happens and then a check to see how bad the bad stuff is). I've been toying around with the idea of having them replaced with a broken version the first time a break check happens (with decreased damage and range), but I'll have to fiddle with the graphics some more (otherwise it's simple enough to implement, shove in "A_GiveInventory("brokenweapon")" before it takes away the original).

Right now, the limit on weapons is only class based. Part of the justification for the number of weapons was that the player wouldn't be stuck running around with their fists. In time (once I get the base of this more fleshed out, or start looking for people to recruit after I've figured out what my strengths and weaknesses are*), I may look at having 4 weapon slots or so (that could actually fill up one side of the vertical status bar quite nicely).

*(Doing this not just because I want it done, but because I haven't done any modding in almost a decade and need to learn and re-learn this stuff).
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

So it is indeed a very unfortunate check. It seems more fair that way, personally I found the system on Witchaven to be rather annoying, as a form of "ammunition", in this case it seems like it is more fitting for the game. Two things you might consider, if I may suggest them: 1) Having perhaps Light quick and Heavy slow attacks on each weapon (which appears to me is already what you have intended), and letting the chance for breaking depend on the use you give the weapon; 2) The idea of having a broken weapon leftover sounds pretty neat, if you opt for that one, maybe consider having an item that allows you to repair your weapon, rather than having to find a new one, or having certain "decorations" in the world that allow this (Such as anvils or forges).

You mean 4 weapon slots, counting the fists or fists in a different slot?

And despite not having modded in the better part of a decade, it still seems to me that you're quite skilled on your trade. I hope and wish your project the best of luck, it seems like it is going to make for pretty awesome and interesting gameplay.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd use a hybrid of the two systems: leave the breakage chance where it is right now, but instead of flatout breaking the weapon, take a durability point (out of 10 or more depending on the weapon quality).
ThomsonI

Post by ThomsonI »

If I do weapon slots, it'll be 4 besides the fists. And breakage may be in more than one stage (the Atlantean sword having to go though a few breaks before being useless, the bow pretty much snapping right there). I already have primary and secondary attacks for the bow and swords (slash and stab), but haven't done any for battle axe, heavy axe, or blunt weapons (been kinda debating about it, but I guess fast/weak/sturdy and slow/powerful/risky).

The anvil and forge idea sounds cool and appropriate (Conan's dad was a blacksmith), I'll try to work it out once I finish the weapons. Maybe require the player to pick up metal ingots before hand.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”