Prop Hunt in ZDoom? (OBSOLETE)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
NerdKoopa

Prop Hunt in ZDoom? (OBSOLETE)

Post by NerdKoopa »

I've been wondering if it would be possible to give ZDoom its own version of Prop Hunt. For those who don't know, Prop Hunt is a custom game mode for Garry's mod.

Players are divided to two teams. Props and Hunters. The Props need to hide from the Hunters by changing into various physics props scattered around the level. The Hunters need to find and kill them all before the time runs out.
The Hunters have access to various weapons, but all damage that they deal to non-player props is reflected right back at them. This way they can't just empty an SMG clip into a group of props and hope for the best. However, every successful kill heals them. The Props are unarmed, but are slightly faster than the Hunters. Props win the round if even one of them stays alive, or if all the Hunters die. The teams are switched after every round.

Now, here come the big questions. Would it even be possible to have a player class that inherits the sprites, collision and camera height of whatever actor it presses the use key on? Would it be possible to have the map actors to spawn in random quantities and positions in certain sectors every time the map is reloaded? And the biggest one of them all, would anyone even want to see this gamemode in ZDoom, or am I the only one? I would be interested in learning ACS and more DECORATE if this is possible.
Last edited by NerdKoopa on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMightyHeracross

Re: Prop Hunt in ZDoom?

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Oh yeah, you can do all of that with DECORATE/ACS.
And that Tomicapo guy wanted to do it as well.
If you want to do this, I'd gladly be a coder.
Decorate and ACS can be learned easily with enough practice.
NerdKoopa

Post by NerdKoopa »

Great to know! I already have some DECORATE experience from my Voxel Vehicles Pack, and a little programming knowledge from using Wiremod's Expression 2 in Garry's Mod.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

My main concern would be getting it to work with Zandronum's outdated modding support, really, I'm quite sure it's totally possible to do.
Nash

Post by Nash »

In Skulltag/Zandronum, doesn't the targetting reticle display the player's name on the screen when you point at them? This would give away the hiding player.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Nash wrote:In Skulltag/Zandronum, doesn't the targetting reticle display the player's name on the screen when you point at them? This would give away the hiding player.
There's a server setting which disables this feature, if memory serves.
NerdKoopa

Post by NerdKoopa »

Wait, so ZDoom's online features are not good enough for something like this? Is Zandronum / ZDaemon / Odamex absolutely needed?
TheMightyHeracross

Zdoom can get the job done easily, as can Zandronum.
However, Zandronum is multiplayer-oriented, unlike Zdoom, where multiplayer is uncommon.
While Zandronum uses an outdated version of Zdoom, it is still capable and I recommend it in this situation.
Tomicapo

Post by Tomicapo »

Now i know the idea was original by me so if you want to make credit give me to the inspiration. Please :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Tomicapo wrote:Now i know the idea was original by me so if you want to make credit give me to the inspiration. Please :)
If he's going to give credit for inspiration, it should ideally go to the original creator of Prop Hunt for Garry's Mod.
NerdKoopa

Post by NerdKoopa »

Ok. To what point does Zandronum support ZDoom features? I know it doesn't support the latest ACS, but does it support DECORATE and 3D floors at all?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Zandronum's current ZDoom base is, I believe, ZDoom 2.3.1; I don't know if the wiki currently has markings for what features appeared when (aside from ZDoom's dev builds) though.
Tomicapo

Post by Tomicapo »

But why the idea for make a Doom 2 prop hunt is mine.
And you Wildweasel you have closed my submission.
Ummm.
TheMightyHeracross

Yeah, but this guy wasn't inspired by you.
He was inspired by the guy that made Prop Hunt for GMOD.
So, he will be credited for inspiration, not you.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Tomicapo wrote:But why the idea for make a Doom 2 prop hunt is mine.
And you Wildweasel you have closed my submission.
Ummm.
If by "closed my submission" you mean this project thread by you that I locked, then yes, because you should not start a thread in Projects for a project that has not even started yet.

Return to “General”