[WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Patriot1776

Re: [WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Post by Patriot1776 »

MagSigmaX wrote:And Patriot1776, Glad to hear your dad is doing better, hope he recovers. And also thanks for all the feedback... Regarding the tutorial map, this is something that someone on youtube suggested and I agree. It would be nice to have a good tutorial map to teach new players all the new abilities and quirks that Project MSX has. But the problem is that I suck at mapping, so I will have to see how I solve this, guess I have to practice more mapping. :|

Also the autoshotgun is receiving a damage boost, slightly increased clip size and a new burst fire mode for the next version.
Firstly, dad's I think gonna be getting outta the hospital soon. They've disconnected him from the IVs and so giving him his meds/drugs now via pills and he's walking around the unit he's in to get exercise now and more importantly, he's not running out of breath in the process. Now, back on the subject of the mod.

Thank you MUCH for the autoshotty boost! I'll requote what I've changed so far in my copy:

First on the autoshotgun, reduced the pellets from 9 to 7, and boosted the damage to 20 pts. per pellet so point-blank blast can do up to 140 dmg per blast. Also narrowed the spread by 1 degree in both x and y. This has made the autoshotgun loads more useful, and also in my playing, made it where I'm more using the assault rifle only when the autoshotgun's spread starts becoming an issue at truly medium to long ranges and there are only kabros, marines and a few Cacos around. The buff has also made it where if you've got plenty of ammo for the autoshotgun, and not much ammo for the nailshotgun, you can use the autoshotgun now to safely grind down small groups of Knights and Barons, and even grind down Mancubi if you need to save the 4 Gauge nail shells for bigger guys.

Lowered the Kabro's base speed to 8, from 10, though this doesn't seem to have done very much.

Eliminated one of the 'P' frames from the 'A_FaceTarget' between fireballs in the Kabro's missile state, and increased the tic duration on the three remaining frames to 6 tics/frame, so now 18 tics or a half-second elapse between fireballs mostly.

Lowered the Kabro's fireball speed to 18 from 24, a 25% speed reduction. Both of those changes together have made the Kabro much more manageable an enemy to deal with in large numbers while still keeping him a fair bit more dangerous than the vanilla imp.
MagSigmaX

Post by MagSigmaX »

Alright... The poll is now closed, and the blade melee weapon is going to be added into the mod. however... the weapon is going to be implemented in a different way than you think.
Patriot1776 wrote:Autoshotgun buff and Kabro nerf
Thanks. I will keep those values in mind when I tweak the weapons and the enemies.
Valherran wrote:Rough estimate on Release?
Honestly, I don't know when I'm going to release v0.3, I haven't worked that much on it.

Hopefully it won't be another year and a half of wait :P
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Actually, upon further testing, I restored the second 'P' frame to the Kabro's 'A_FaceTarget' between fireballs in the 'Missile' state, and took the tics per frame there from 2 to 4, so there are now 16 tics betwen fireballs instead of only 8. Still has made the fireball spamming from the Kabro not near as bad as it was.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

1 year O.o holly molly :P
but at least will be time for more "options" to see what may get into the final product
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

MagSigmaX wrote:
Honestly, I don't know when I'm going to release v0.3, I haven't worked that much on it.

Your mod is already very good as it is you know. Plus it can be used with almost every other mods (well those i played so far lol) and even the FreeDoom version of Doom lol. For my part only one thing could be modified : the enemies speed ... they are overwhelming and are hard to shoot because they are so fast. But i guess that's what the regenerative shield is for - to protect slow-mo player like me just long enough to get the hell out of troubles lol (they are a bit too fast but some like it like that and thats ok too)

Just a question, would it be possible to insert the Kills and Secrets data on the HUD?
ArielBoss

Post by ArielBoss »

MagSigmaX wrote:Honestly, I don't know when I'm going to release v0.3, I haven't worked that much on it.

Actualy your's mod is very good, and have a good balance in combat and gameplay.I dont know if stay adding things in next updates will be good, maybe this make the mod lose his spirit. If you want add something more, i mean like arm blade, you can make mutators :3:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

ArielBoss wrote:
MagSigmaX wrote:Honestly, I don't know when I'm going to release v0.3, I haven't worked that much on it.

Actualy your's mod is very good, and have a good balance in combat and gameplay.I dont know if stay adding things in next updates will be good, maybe this make the mod lose his spirit. If you want add something more, i mean like arm blade, you can make mutators :3:
Great idea :) Maybe for the next release do a normal version with some patch or something like that to adjust some parameters like the enemy's speed or the maximum enemy spawn (like a normal difficulty but with constant monsters spawning instead of a fixed number of monsters). So the players would have the ability to adjust the mod to make it even more enjoyable. Just an idea though.

Anyway i'm sure i'm not the only one here to think there is not much to do to make it perfect :)

Keep up the great work :D
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

An idea I just had for this while playing Back To Saturn X and would be applicable for levels where barrels are present: being able to pick up and throw barrels and use them as improvised grenades. I know, probably redundant, but hey, would allow you to more effectively use random barrels placed in levels to blow baddies to giblets. I just remembered that you could do that from Brutal DooM, and that's one feature that I believe would be good for more mods, particularly this one, to use.
justin_see

Post by justin_see »

Barrels are pretty heavy.
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

I don't think they'd be too heavy for a super-soldier who can punch the ground hard enough to cause an explosive shockwave and carry oversized weapons on him comfortably.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

I think more the reason for using barrels instead of grenades being for times when a group of enemies is too close to safely use a normal grenade, ranges that with a 'pitched grenade' you could too easily blow yourself to bits because you charged it up for too long for close quarters use. It's happened to me a couple times and I found myself saying 'Man, it would be nice if you could just pick up a barrel and heave it at speeds related to charge level, without putting extra explosive power in the barrel.' More as an alternative means of delivering explosives for times when a normal grenade would be way too dangerous due to risk of overcharging in close quarters, and so blowing yourself to kibble, and you've not found the Auto-Cannon yet.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Pick up barrel and chuck. That.... is crazy and I think I like it. Not to mention, RUIN BARREL TRAPS!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

It's actually pretty useful in Brutal Doom, though you wouldn't think it. Of course, it'd need a speed penalty or something, but it can be handy for taking out groups of weaker enemies or setting off other barrels in traps, like DoomRater said.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

-Ghost- wrote:It's actually pretty useful in Brutal Doom, though you wouldn't think it. Of course, it'd need a speed penalty or something, but it can be handy for taking out groups of weaker enemies or setting off other barrels in traps, like DoomRater said.
Speed penalty would be good enough, like you couldn't sprint with one hefted over your shoulder and your normal running speed's reduced a little. No idea on how much though, as it would have to be implemented and working before you could then work on trying to refine it. Like the idea too of just being able to pick it up, choose a launch angle, and heave, no charging up required.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Patriot1776 wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:It's actually pretty useful in Brutal Doom, though you wouldn't think it. Of course, it'd need a speed penalty or something, but it can be handy for taking out groups of weaker enemies or setting off other barrels in traps, like DoomRater said.
Speed penalty would be good enough, like you couldn't sprint with one hefted over your shoulder and your normal running speed's reduced a little. No idea on how much though, as it would have to be implemented and working before you could then work on trying to refine it. Like the idea too of just being able to pick it up, choose a launch angle, and heave, no charging up required.
Just having a sprint/strafe speed reduction is good enough a penalty. Reducing movement speed while carrying a barrel to throw at something large like Hell Noble will require that you can dodge those heavy hitting attacks to do so.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”