Doom-Prime

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MetroidJunkie

Doom-Prime

Post by MetroidJunkie »

The last progrsss made on it: http://www.4shared.com/file/AgXPzu7j/DoomPrime.html

As the perhaps not so clever name suggests, it's a project I'm considering based on Metroid Prime, using the Doom lore. The idea is to have exploration through hubs, items to progress forward, chunks of Doom lore (I'll likely make up many of them but relate it to the story) revealed through terminals like on Metroid Prime, and modified Doom monsters in behavior and appearance to make tougher normal enemies and bosses and mini-bosses.

Current item progression ideas:

Rocket Launcher: Destroy a jammed door to proceed.
Radiation Suit: Necessary to get through heavily irradiated sections of the base, which would ordinarily kill the player in seconds due to the toxicity.
Green Armor: Cuts atmospheric damage of hell by half.
Blue Armor: Eliminates damage of hell.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Footage:

Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 am, edited 10 times in total.
0bsidian

Re: Doom-Prime

Post by 0bsidian »

Nice, uh, grayness.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

0bsidian wrote:Nice, uh, grayness.
That's mostly for the beginning since Doom takes place on Phobos so it's naturally expected to look dead and desolate. You'll reach a base, though.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Do you have any custom graphics other than the hud there? Enemies, weapons, etc?
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Scripten wrote:Do you have any custom graphics other than the hud there? Enemies, weapons, etc?
Not at the moment but I was thinking graphically modified enemies along the line. About the only other thing that's custom made right now is the outer space sky.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Was hoping this would actually be a Metroid Prime conversion for Doom...
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Valherran wrote:Was hoping this would actually be a Metroid Prime conversion for Doom...
Well, I figured anyone who wants Metroid Prime straight up can just play Metroid Prime. What I'm going for is to copy Metroid Prime's style with the Doom's universe. I even had the idea to make a sort of Dark Aether by letting you travel in and out of hell, with hell damaging you by trying to seize your soul.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Scripten wrote:Do you have any custom graphics other than the hud there? Enemies, weapons, etc?
Not at the moment but I was thinking graphically modified enemies along the line. About the only other thing that's custom made right now is the outer space sky.
Shame about that; I was hoping we could exchange some resources. Ah well.

Best of luck with your project! :)
thonglover
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by thonglover »

This place keeps getting better and better :)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Valherran wrote:Was hoping this would actually be a Metroid Prime conversion for Doom...
Well, I figured anyone who wants Metroid Prime straight up can just play Metroid Prime. What I'm going for is to copy Metroid Prime's style with the Doom's universe. I even had the idea to make a sort of Dark Aether by letting you travel in and out of hell, with hell damaging you by trying to seize your soul.
Not everyone owns the ROM for it on the PC, or has the Game Cube and Wii to play the series. lol

Besides, being Samus and running around blasting Hell's minions is a fkin awesome idea. XD
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Valherran wrote: Not everyone owns the ROM for it on the PC, or has the Game Cube and Wii to play the series. lol

Besides, being Samus and running around blasting Hell's minions is a fkin awesome idea. XD
Someone already did that;

Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I remember that, but wasn't it scrapped?
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

From what it looks like, yeah. I tried getting ahold of hnsolo77 on here to no avail, as I've been working on a similar project and would like to release it using his sprites. (Not to pull focus away from what's being made here. Both this and a more Metroid-centric mod have room in the community!)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Scripten wrote:From what it looks like, yeah. I tried getting ahold of hnsolo77 on here to no avail, as I've been working on a similar project and would like to release it using his sprites. (Not to pull focus away from what's being made here. Both this and a more Metroid-centric mod have room in the community!)
Keep me posted on the progress of that, I will be watching it, and this as well. :-)
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

How's the update? I thought I'd base the Main Power Room off the armor room from E1M1 as an homage, but I of course made changes to it so it wasn't just a copy paste thing. It also has the first encounter, complete with changing music, something I've seen in Metroid Prime.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”