[WIP] Disopolis, Looking for testers

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zrrion the insect

[WIP] Disopolis, Looking for testers

Post by zrrion the insect »

Disopolis is a mod for Hexen. There are far too few level sets for Hexen, and so I took it upon my self to give Hexen a try. I plan on having 3 or 4 levels. It is not linear past the first level, and can be played in several ways. there are puzzles of a sort, and all sorts of Hexeny goodness.
Screenshots below:
Spoiler: Screenshots
For those of you who like to play things, the current version can be downloaded >here<.
If you have criticisms/a cool name idea/ help getting the portals to jive right those are most welcome.
Spoiler: Changelog
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Wed May 21, 2014 3:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
0bsidian

Re: [WIP] A Hexen Thing With No Name

Post by 0bsidian »

Pagan?

I thought it'd be a cool Heretic-ish name.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

0bsidian wrote:Pagan?

I thought it'd be a cool Heretic-ish name.
It would be, but with a project of that name already on this forum, I'd personally be shy about using it.

Also, that download link seems to be dead.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Hm. Oh yeah, that thing of RSL's. Never mind then.
zrrion the insect

The link's been fixed. I'm not sure why it did that.
I was kinda digging the sound of Pagan, shoot.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

Looks pretty tight for a WIP. I'm glad more people are starting to map for hexen. Will there be lots of puzzles in this map?
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Greetings.

I have played through your map, and would like to voice my opinion on it.

While rather small, I think you made a good use of architecture which gave the map a feeling of being part of something larger, I particularly liked the tower with the stained glass and the 3d platform hovering over the sludge lake. The balance of monsters felt alright, there weren't too many for a beginning map and that made gameplay viable as all the three classes. The one quarrel I have with it, is the lack of indication of the Stalkers spawning indefinitely, in my case, I spent about 10 minutes killing stalker after stalker without realizing that they would keep spawning; for this I would like to recommend using a message just like the one that tells the player they'll be "scared off", something telling them that "They seem to be endless" or other such insight related to their perpetual spawn.
Regarding a possible name for the map or set of maps, I think that given the thematic of desperation outlined by the introductory lines, it could be something associated. For example "Despair", "Distress", or "Desperation" itself, or a synonym of said words perhaps used in a different language, for example in German Leiden, Sorge, Drangsal all mean distress, plus being in German makes those names fitting with the name Hexen, which in the Teutonic language means witches.

In any case, it is a fun first map, hopefully you'll finish the mentioned miniepisode.

Cheers.
zrrion the insect

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:I spent about 10 minutes killing stalker after stalker without realizing that they would keep spawning; for this I would like to recommend using a message just like the one that tells the player they'll be "scared off", something telling them that "They seem to be endless" or other such insight related to their perpetual spawn.
(10 minutes of gameplay in the first map! :P ) So I've added a message to the swamp that warns the player. Currently it shows up when you enter the swamp, but I'm probably going to change it so that the message displays under different conditions depending upon the difficulty.
As for a name, I'm currently going through DnD stuff and Nethack looking for ideas. (Hreosan? Hryre?)
AlwaysDoomed wrote:Looks pretty tight for a WIP. I'm glad more people are starting to map for hexen. Will there be lots of puzzles in this map?
There will be puzzles, but not too many of them will be required to progress. They'll mostly be optional.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'm seeing a lot of HOM effects in this map. I'm guessing that's what you meant about wanting help with the portals? Wish I could help, but mapping/world geometry isn't part of my skillset. Also, saw a typo when picking up the weapon ("Perhaps this well scare...").

All that aside, I like this architecture, and the somewhat more streamlined gameplay design compared to vanilla Hexen. I'm interested in seeing this grow.
zrrion the insect

Typo's been fixed. The architecture's probably more a result of all the portals more than anything else, but it's good that you like it. I'll try to keep that style going through the other maps.
It is growing:
I did say that I wasn't planning on adding any new textures, enemies, items, or weapons, but I'm considering adding an enemy or so that fit somewhere between the Ettin and the Affrit. Like a slime-mold enemy or something.
Download will has been updated.
EDIT:
Been working slowly on this, although most of my time has been spent planning/trying to figure out how to do certain things without including any new graphics. I'm also thinking of going with the name "Disopolis" (This will be the episode name. Individual level names will come when there is more than one level)
zrrion the insect

(in the project ideas thread) zrrion the insect wrote:I'd like to implement a literacy system in Hexen where the fighter would be illiterate, the Mage would be literate, and the Cleric would have a 50/50 chance of literacy. There would be puzzles that could only be solved by by being able to read something. The fighter/illiterate Cleric would have to do a side quest to learn how to read to complete those quests, meaning that the game would have to be played in a different order, and with a different approach if you happen to be playing as an illiterate character. Inventory items such as magic scrolls would also be useless unless they could be read (although being paper you could still use them to start fires I suppose, if the need arises.)
So I'm working on implementing this, And I'm wondering what sort of MODs/add-ons I should include support for. It isn't hard to add support for stuff and I don't want to make my mod incompatible with any of the popular game-play mods. I've already got Samsara and hexercise support in, so don't worry about those.

It won't be game-breaking to not be supported, since it defaults to the cleric's literacy rate for unrecognized classes, but if there exists a "Book Warrior" class add-on that everyone loves, it'd be weird to have that class be illiterate. Anyway, If you have any requests for support, now would be the time to ask.
SallazarSpellcaster

I would like to request support for Wrath of Cronos.

Link: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35846
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:I would like to request support for Wrath of Cronos.

Why would this need anything special to support that?
SallazarSpellcaster

Ed the Bat wrote:
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:I would like to request support for Wrath of Cronos.

Why would this need anything special to support that?
I am afraid I cannot give a concise answer, since I'm inexperienced with coding and or other processes involved on mod supports. However, the way the literacy system was described makes it seem to me that the characters are going to be modified; seeing as Wrath of Cronos certainly modifies the characters themselves, plus it has two new classes, I figured it would need some tweaking in order to function.

I apologize however for my ignorance, if this is not the case, and WoC would require no additional support.
zrrion the insect

The player classes aren't being messed with, but I'm checking the players playerclass via ACS. If a mod uses a class that I haven't specified behaviour for it'd default to the cleric's literacy rate (which may not be ideal) So if the mod includes a class "My_New_Mage" that replaces the vanilla mage class, it wouldn't get the mage's literacy rate. WoC not only replaces the default classes but adds new ones. So I would need to add the new mage and fighter as well as the new classes to the list of classes that the my literacy script treats as non-default. (the cleric is default so i don't need to add anything for any class that is a cleric replacement.)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”