X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
torridgristle

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: The Weaponing!

Post by torridgristle »

Explosive Fist (Ballistic Fist) sprite was done by me.
Big C

Post by Big C »

That super-shotgun is pretty fucking metal.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

torridGristle wrote:Explosive Fist (Ballistic Fist) sprite was done by me.
You're credited for it, too:
Credit goes to PillowBlaster for the projectile-layering code, DoomNukem for the projectile-layering sprite effects,
Mike12 for the Demontech Rifle sprites, Doomer1 for the Nighthawk sprites and sounds, Wildweasel for the Explosive Fist
and Demontech sounds, TorridGristle for the Explosive Fist sprites, Epic Games for the hitpuffs, and Id Software for Doom,
the muzzle flares, and all of the Doomguy hands.
Big C wrote:That super-shotgun is pretty fucking metal.
The quad-barrel shotgun sprites were done by Bane (and the muzzle flares are Zrrion's).

EDIT: Merged with this bump for progress:
Spoiler:
I've shot a PM to Weasel to see what I'm at liberty to do with all of this. In the mean time, I'll be looking for suitable replacements for various weapon weapon animations, on the off-chance that I can't use the ones I'm going with. If I get the go-ahead, expect an update very soon.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Some good looking sprites there! Really like the modified pump shotgun and assault rifle.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Max Dickings wrote:Some good looking sprites there! Really like the modified pump shotgun and assault rifle.
To be fair, the AR is modified from DoomNukem's (just all-black with a blue scope), and the SG is an mix between the BD shotty and the DoomNukem shotty (which, funny enough, is, frame for frame, based off of the BD shotty).

This credits list is going to be a doozy, but Weasel gave me the OK for it, so I''ll have an updated version up soon.
ArielBoss

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: The Weaponing! (Updated 09-24-13)

Post by ArielBoss »

Damm, you got some good guns there, also I've liked alot of the hand gun in first version, but now the link is dead :(
Can you fix?
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

You know, at first i didn't like this, but now i really love this. needs new monsters though.

also, here is a iron sights view of the DEAGLE i made. i never finished all the frames but this should help you slightly i hope. BTW, I use GIMP for my editing, its a great program if you haven't tried it. It has a decent resizer as part of the package, which is one of the big reasons i use it.
Attachments
NHKGA0.png
NHKGA0.png (5.97 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

ArielBoss wrote:Damm, you got some good guns there, also I've liked alot of the hand gun in first version, but now the link is dead :(
Can you fix?
Fixed - my dumb ass left an extra 3 at the end of the URL.
doomer1 wrote:You know, at first i didn't like this, but now i really love this. needs new monsters though.

also, here is a iron sights view of the DEAGLE i made. i never finished all the frames but this should help you slightly i hope. BTW, I use GIMP for my editing, its a great program if you haven't tried it. It has a decent resizer as part of the package, which is one of the big reasons i use it.
Far superior to the base I used for the iron sights modes. Also, I use Paint.NET - pretty good for what I need it for, at any rate. GIMP's pretty good too, though I haven't used it in a while.
ArielBoss

Post by ArielBoss »

Thx for the fix, gonna try this now :D
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Pretty cool weapon set, the pistols in particular were super fun to use. The special effects and animations are really slick, it's nice to watch them in action. My two personal wads had super rare unique items that replaced the main weapons too, just done differently. It's nice to see that mechanic, rare weapons are awesome fun to find and use.

As a side note, does it actually say anywhere in your main post that it needs to run in GZDoom or all the special flare effects go weird?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Yholl wrote:Pretty cool weapon set, the pistols in particular were super fun to use. The special effects and animations are really slick, it's nice to watch them in action. My two personal wads had super rare unique items that replaced the main weapons too, just done differently. It's nice to see that mechanic, rare weapons are awesome fun to find and use.

As a side note, does it actually say anywhere in your main post that it needs to run in GZDoom or all the special flare effects go weird?
SHIT. I never really thought to mention that (for reasons unknown, my computer has never been able to run ZDoom - GZDoom is the only port I actually use). THANK YOU.

@Doomer: My practice mod was bloated with new monsters. I felt that X-Weapon should be compatible with monster replacements - for example, I often play the mod with Brutal Doom Lite, as the more powerful weapons balance out pretty well with the faster, more powerful enemies.

I will probably start work on a monster pack once necessary tweaking and rebalancing is complete, if enemies carrying the arsenal are desired.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

TheRailgunner wrote:To be fair, the AR is modified from DoomNukem's (just all-black with a blue scope), and the SG is an mix between the BD shotty and the DoomNukem shotty (which, funny enough, is, frame for frame, based off of the BD shotty).
Oh I'm very aware, which is why I'm looking forward to using them so much! Its like you're improving an already really good resource.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

It's just a shame there aren't any stand alone monster packs. except for hard doom i think. Feedback time:

Everything looks great, and most of the weapons are fun to use, here's what i thought didn't feel right.

Fatman - one mean... husky... clip eating machine. slow to fire, low mag capacity, not enough damage to really make it worth while. i liked the bluetail alot better, or even the blue nighthawk; might want to take that one to the drawing board. btw im flattered you like the nighthawk so much :P

Demon rifle - fires about the same rate as the rifle, does about the same damage, perhaps its better with upgrades but the two are very similar. smooth, but similar.

Fist- even with the upgrade it takes about 2 hits for an imp, not a problem, but they attack quicker than the punch, so punch stun is out.

OVERALL, the weapons are quite overpowered, even without upgrades. maybe i just need to find a good monster pack, but DAYUMN are these powerful. Keep up the good work though man i really like how this is turning out,
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

doomer1 wrote:It's just a shame there aren't any stand alone monster packs. except for hard doom i think. Feedback time:

Everything looks great, and most of the weapons are fun to use, here's what i thought didn't feel right.

Fatman - one mean... husky... clip eating machine. slow to fire, low mag capacity, not enough damage to really make it worth while. i liked the bluetail alot better, or even the blue nighthawk; might want to take that one to the drawing board. btw im flattered you like the nighthawk so much :P

Demon rifle - fires about the same rate as the rifle, does about the same damage, perhaps its better with upgrades but the two are very similar. smooth, but similar.

Fist- even with the upgrade it takes about 2 hits for an imp, not a problem, but they attack quicker than the punch, so punch stun is out.

OVERALL, the weapons are quite overpowered, even without upgrades. maybe i just need to find a good monster pack, but DAYUMN are these powerful. Keep up the good work though man i really like how this is turning out,
I modified one of the newer test versions of Brutal Doom to be a monster-only pack (v0.19 test build 8372) - here's the link, if you're interested.

The Fatman has the highest damage-to-clip ratio, dealing 36d3 per bullet (180d3 per clip), compared to the Bluetail's 8d3 (112d3), the Nighthawk's 12d3 (84d3), and the blue NH's 16d3 (160d3). Still, I'll have a look at it.

It's funny that you say that about the Demontech rifle - I honestly think it might be too powerful (the AR does 9d3 damage, while the Demontech does 10d8, then explodes for an additional 5).

The fist has ten upgrades, though I do see the difficulty in finding ten chainsaws in a given WAD. I might have a spawner replace some other powerup with the Fist Upgrade to compensate.

I'm working on a monster pack for X-Weapon right now. In the mean time, have a small update:

Note that unlike the upgraded SG, this weapon doesn't drop from Sergeants - they only spawn in the place of backpacks. Also, it does not replace your normal or upgraded SG. Comes with a pretty altfire to compensate for it's extreme spread.
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

I saw that shotgun on a TC for eduke32, but this one looks way better. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”