Pirate Doom! - House of Mojo 06/05/14

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [RELEASE] Pirate Doom!

Postby idGamer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:57 pm

I thought the hell map was fine. The only thing that feels out of place with it to me is that I feel like it's more linear than the other maps.
idGamer
Gosh - are we having a ball, or what?

Postby Patriot1776 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:08 pm

I vote leave it in too. The way you enter it and then emerge from it are what fits it in. Totally understandable how you find it in the temple, and in getting out, you emerge into a graveyard. That helps truly be a detour that fits in. Sure it does break from the pirate theme for that level until the end, but hey, you've probably been wondering where these otherworldly swashbucklers have been coming from, and so now in that map you got your answer and can bring some of the swashbucklin' to their 'shore' now.
Patriot1776

Postby Captain J » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:01 am

IMO, leave it or make it into only boss battle. also that hell map was total difficulty either.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Tormentor667 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:23 am

For the hell map I'd suggest turning it more into something we all know from Monkey Island 2, to fit the general look of the project. As of now it feels too Doom in my eyes.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Arch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:34 pm

I cut the hell map to the last room only. I know this was one of the least voted option, but half of the votes being "not leaving as it is" was a sign that it should be changed somehow. I don't think I can make a totally new cool hell map, and the first part was "too Doom", as Torm said. I wasn't happy about it either, stock Doom textures were bringing it down. The last room is dark enough and is the reason the whole map as made, so now it goes straight to the point.

Ral22 wrote:The whole "falling into a pit at the end of the Temple stage" then the stairs leading up to the graveyard was a nice touch

Patriot1776 wrote:The way you enter it and then emerge from it are what fits it in. Totally understandable how you find it in the temple, and in getting out, you emerge into a graveyard. That helps truly be a detour that fits in. Sure it does break from the pirate theme for that level until the end

The entrance and exit concepts are kept, I will upload the new version (with an extra map) soon. Thank you for the feedback!
Arch
Arrr!

Postby Tomicapo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Your mod is very cool i love it in gneral the maps are good made. And the pirate re_made of the monsters of doom 2 are so funny.
Tomicapo
Banned User

Re: [WIP GZDoom] Corsair Doom! - map 13 "Grog Factory"

Postby Arch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank you! Here's the download link of the new version:
DOWNLOAD PIRATE DOOM!

Main changes:
BlueFireZ88 wrote: And 15 (maps) is a much more solid number than 14. ;)

- An extra map, "Stronghold" (plays on slot 53)
- key sprites replaced
- "Trezer Cove": red card added for tracking purposes only (gameplay is unchanged)
- "Battleships!": difficulty tuned down, player is no longer slowed down while holding cannons; ships are closer
- "Lost City": 1 music replaced
- "Where Evil Pirates Fall": cut to the boss battle only; name changed to "Hot Winds o' Hell"
- "Grog Factory": most stock Doom textures replaced.
- end music replaced
- minor texture changes and bug fixing overall
Arch
Arrr!

Re: [re-release] Pirate Doom!

Postby Tomicapo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:56 pm

I good thank you Arch
Tomicapo
Banned User

Postby idGamer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:53 pm

I personally thought the Battleships level was great as it was (probably one of my favorites from the map set), but otherwise these changes look nice.
idGamer
Gosh - are we having a ball, or what?

Postby Captain J » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 am

i hope this wad went to final version, for getting a cacoward or else.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Arch » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:03 pm

I consider it finished; it has beginning and end, every monster and weapon is replaced.. this is the final version until I find a bug or make another map :D

idGamer wrote:I personally thought the Battleships level was great as it was (probably one of my favorites from the map set), but otherwise these changes look nice.

I liked it as it was too, but it was a bit hard for players to use the cannon, so they opted to use other weapons, which is not the point of this map. Now that it is easier to use, I hope players will choose the cannon.
Arch
Arrr!

Postby MetroidJunkie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:13 am

It was great up until the final boss fight. While fighting, he threw dynamite and then it crashed. I use GZDoom g1.8.4.
MetroidJunkie

Postby Arch » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 pm

I wasn't aware of GZdoom 1.8.4 yet. It crashed here too, happens with this version only.

I made several tests and still have no idea why. What's weird is that the dynamite the boss throws is exactly the same the player throws, and those doesn't cause the game to crash.

You can play it with an older GZDoom version until this problem is solved... thanks for the report.
Arch
Arrr!

Postby MetroidJunkie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Yeah, I noticed that.
MetroidJunkie

Postby Ed the Bat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm not aware of any GZDoom 1.8.4; the GZDoom site lists 1.8.2 as the latest official version. But I use development builds, and never had any issue with Pirate Doom. But I see that the dynamite calls A_AlertMonsters, which did briefly cause crashes in previous dev builds. That bug is long since fixed, though.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects