[Release] Quake 1 Stuff ULTRA - version 2

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
lizardcommando

Re: [Release] Quake 1 Stuff ULTRA - version 1

Post by lizardcommando »

Not bad. Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the animations be a little faster? The Double Barrel Shotgun and the Nailgun's animation look a little clunky.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

lizardcommando wrote:Not bad. Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the animations be a little faster? The Double Barrel Shotgun and the Nailgun's animation look a little clunky.
Yeah, the animations are a little bit off in this. Also, the way the Thunderbolt works doesn't quite sit right with me. Not that my approximation of it was ever perfect.
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Then these sprites could just be merged with this project, and turn this into the Ultimate Quake TC For Zdoom, that can perfectly work both on OpenGL and Software.
That's what I'm gonna do. I just found an awesome way to make sprites from the models fast and easy. Next version might not even take that long now that I learned this technique.
If anyone's wondering why I'm not gonna use the old Qdoom sprites is because they have a very little number of frames when compared to the models animations and because this mod has monters that weren't in Qdoom.
My sprites will be Hi-res and match the model's animations perfectly.
lizardcommando wrote:Maybe it's just me but shouldn't the animations be a little faster? The Double Barrel Shotgun and the Nailgun's animation look a little clunky.
I fucked up actually. I disabled interpolation in the MODELDEF because I had forgotten the console command to turn model interpolation off, but then forgot to set it back to normal. I just fixed this and next version everything will feel smoother.
Ed the Bat wrote:the way the Thunderbolt works doesn't quite sit right with me.
I think it's quite accurate other than the use of sprites for the lightning projectile, since Quake's lightning model refused to cooperate :p
Also, it might have some more range, but I'm not really sure.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote:the way the Thunderbolt works doesn't quite sit right with me.
I think it's quite accurate other than the use of sprites for the lightning projectile, since Quake's lightning model refused to cooperate :p
Also, it might have some more range, but I'm not really sure.
The firing rate, the warmup/cooldown times, and the rhythm of the shooting noises don't remind me much of the gun in Quake. When I tried to reconstruct the Thunderbolt, I used an invisible A_RailAttack (which I know Zandronum doesn't support...) to simulate the instantaneous piercing attack, and a series of dummy lightning bolts (using the sprites from QDoom) as the visual effect (not particularly pleased with them, but it's better than the forced spiral design of a railgun).
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Ed the Bat wrote:The firing rate, the warmup/cooldown times, and the rhythm of the shooting noises don't remind me much of the gun in Quake.
Comparing it now, I think you're right. The electric running sound should be looping instead of repeating with each bolt, and the cooldown should be imediate.
And I was correct, the Quake thunderbolt does have a more limited range, and also spawns blood when hitting enemies.

I guess I can replicate that with a bullet attack with limited range and a dummy lightining.
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

Gothic wrote:Nice stuff, I actually enjoyed playing QDoom with this mod
isn't qdoom only available for edge?
Average

Post by Average »

I find that in quite a few wads (Dark 7 for example) that there are a LOT of zombies and it turns the game into "run from room to room avoiding the baddies" rather than fragging them. Is there any chance you could make one of the melee weapons cause gibs to them? It would add more use to the weapon and make the zombie spawning less of a nightmare. :)
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Average wrote:I find that in quite a few wads (Dark 7 for example) that there are a LOT of zombies and it turns the game into "run from room to room avoiding the baddies" rather than fragging them. Is there any chance you could make one of the melee weapons cause gibs to them? It would add more use to the weapon and make the zombie spawning less of a nightmare. :)
HorrorMovieGuy wrote: *Since Doom maps weren't designed to have enemies that can only be killed with explosives, the zombies can also be gibbed with a close range SSG blast, Axe alt fire, and Mjolnir Hammer.
Average

Post by Average »

^
Ah, okay. :P
Uninstall

Post by Uninstall »

Really nice mod. I was looking for something like this for months. Thanks for your effort and time :)

Are there any good Quake-Stylish-Level-Mods out there? Thx in advance for your help.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

The gibbing of zombies hasn't been working for me, with either the axe alt or ssg blasts. Am I doing it wrong or is the feature not working right?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

JimmyJ wrote:The gibbing of zombies hasn't been working for me, with either the axe alt or ssg blasts. Am I doing it wrong or is the feature not working right?
Works fine for me.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

One way you could handle Zombie gibbing is give it a Quake 2 style of gibbing where you can shoot their corpses until they gib.
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

JimmyJ wrote:The gibbing of zombies hasn't been working for me, with either the axe alt or ssg blasts.
You have to be reeeally close, like, touching them, no homo.
Uninstall wrote:Are there any good Quake-Stylish-Level-Mods out there?
Not that I know of. I used Ultimate Torment and Torture for the screenshots. But UAC Ultra also felt pretty good with this mod.
MetroidJunkie wrote:One way you could handle Zombie gibbing is give it a Quake 2 style of gibbing where you can shoot their corpses until they gib.
That's a great idea.
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

Uninstall wrote:Are there any good Quake-Stylish-Level-Mods out there? Thx in advance for your help.
I'd suggest The Darkening Episode 1 and 2:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=9907
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10782

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”