DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] DoomRL Arsenal - Beta 2

Post by Captain J »

take my bookmark, you did very well. :D
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Captain J wrote:take my bookmark, you did very well. :D
Thanks, I appreciate it. :)
cosmonaut_petrov

Post by cosmonaut_petrov »

Saw this mod, tried it out, registered just to post this- amazingly fun, its great to go back and replay the games with all these new features, assemblies add a sense of character progression vanilla Doom didn't have. Do you think that you're ever going to add leveling/traits? It seems unlikely that you will (either lots of work or just not possible / hard to implement on the Doom engine) but if you do that'd be great! Looking forward to new release, this mod has loads of potential! :wub:
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

cosmonaut_petrov wrote:Saw this mod, tried it out, registered just to post this- amazingly fun, its great to go back and replay the games with all these new features, assemblies add a sense of character progression vanilla Doom didn't have. Do you think that you're ever going to add leveling/traits? It seems unlikely that you will (either lots of work or just not possible / hard to implement on the Doom engine) but if you do that'd be great! Looking forward to new release, this mod has loads of potential! :wub:
It'd be possible to implement but he's already stated that he won't add in leveling or traits. As I've said to others, this is the DoomRL Arsenal, not the DoomRL Total Conversion. :P
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

It'd be a nice addition though, but not something Yholl should make (at least, not now, haha). It could be an add-on that someone else makes! I know there are plenty of people that like this mod and are capable of such a thing.

Personally, if I knew anything about DECORATE and ACS I'd at least make a compatibility patch thing for DoomRPG.
cosmonaut_petrov

I know how to program (not in the DECORATE language though) so I could attempt to take a crack at adding in a basic trait/leveling system (with Yholl's permission of course). If I did, a lot of the traits would have to be changed or tweaked a bit though. I'll meanwhile take a look at DECORATE and see if I can figure something out.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

cosmonaut_petrov wrote:Saw this mod, tried it out, registered just to post this- amazingly fun, its great to go back and replay the games with all these new features, assemblies add a sense of character progression vanilla Doom didn't have.
As I am someone who only lurks in forums, and only very rarely registers to vent love for some mod I suddenly discover, I am quite moved. Thank you very much! :D
cosmonaut_petrov wrote:I know how to program (not in the DECORATE language though) so I could attempt to take a crack at adding in a basic trait/leveling system (with Yholl's permission of course). If I did, a lot of the traits would have to be changed or tweaked a bit though. I'll meanwhile take a look at DECORATE and see if I can figure something out.
I am extremely tempted to accept... But honestly, at this stage, I don't think this could be a thing. The main problems are the limitations of Doom, as well as the limitations of the weapon functionality in my mod. Like, for instance, Dualgunner. How even do. Dual wield any two pistols. I mean, it's not impossible, but my brain is horrified at the amount of work it would be. Let's look at another Trait, the simple Son of a Bitch. +1 damage on every weapon. This also means a seperate +1 damage firing calculation on every single combination of mod packs on every single weapon. Like, have you seen the code for my Rocket Launcher? Normal Rocket Launcher has about 65 lines. Mine has 2244 lines. And almost made me cry making it.

Honestly, I'd love to work with you on this, but I'm not sure if you could wedge much of a leveling system in here. It's sad, but true. I'd love to hear about anything you try, though.
Also, with DECORATE, I believe off the top of my head if you want to make a leveling system, you'll need to modify both enemies and the player class.

Heh, hey guys, did you know that this mod is 100% DECORATE? No desyncing multiplayer scripts here.
I wish my brain could understand ACS.
cosmonaut_petrov

Yeah haha, I should have probably thought that through before posting, didn't mean to try and push anything onto you. Leveling system or not, we'll all be looking forward to your next release and anything it brings with it! Do you have any estimate on when you're planning to release it? :D Also, how do you scrap weapons as the Tech? Never did figure that one out, so that class has remained mostly untouched by me for now. :oops:
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

cosmonaut_petrov wrote:Also, how do you scrap weapons as the Tech? Never did figure that one out, so that class has remained mostly untouched by me for now. :oops:
If you attempt to drop a weapon as the Technician that is scrappable, AKA an exotic weapon or an assembled weapon, it will tell you which button to press to scrap it as opposed to dropping it. I don't remember what key it is right off the top of my head, though, but as I said it should let you know.
cosmonaut_petrov

Thanks, that seems to do the trick very well!
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Just a little update. I've finally got back the motivation to work on this again (Thanks to torridGristle), and so I'm going to be going full steam ahead for Beta 3, which should have some fairly neat stuff for you to blat demons with in it.
There is one thing I've been thinking about a lot lately, and that is the differences between the three classes. In DoomRL, these classes are all balanced, but in Doom, less so. I'll go over this below.

Marine
  • Only 1 in 4 shots uses ammo, therefore 4x the damage to ammo efficiency. - Really good.
    Powerups like Berserk and Invulnerability last 50% longer. - Fairly good.
Scout
  • Pistol shots always do max damage, 3x damage for hitscan, and 8x for projectiles. - The projectile bit is good, but the hitscans are less damage efficient than the Marine. Pistols also tend to have less clip size and fire rate compared to Marine rapid fire weaponry. Doing max damage isn't that good anyway, because instead of 5, 10, 15 damage, you are just doing 15 constantly. The average for a normal pistol is 10 anyway, so it's not really a big increase.
    Moves 10% faster. - Could be useful.
Technician
  • Can disassemble exotic, assembled and unique weaponry into modpacks. - While this is neat, it doesn't really give you a combat edge that others couldn't get a bit slower.
    Can see all entities on Computer Maps. - Not really that useful.
So basically, while true to the original classes, Marine is waaay better than the others. I've been trying to come up with ideas to improve the two classes to bring them in line with Marine, but it is difficult to decide. So far, I've come up with a few basic ideas, but I'm not sure if they're the way to go or not.
  • Scout always does 8x damage with pistols and is more accurate.
    Scout does 5x damage with hitscan and 10x with projectiles.
    Scout can jump higher.

Technician can carry up to 8 modpacks.
    Picking up modpacks gives you two instead of one.
    Bonus damage or something with high-tech weaponry.
    Maybe add in UAC supply crates with random weapons or items, and if the Technician opens them he has a higher chance of finding awesome stuff.
If you have any thoughts on ways to bring the other two classes in line with the Marine class, I'd love to hear them. I'm really trying to find the best, most fun option here.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Scout does double the max damage of all pistols, fires them twice as fast (to make up for no dual pistols), and/or is more accurate with them. Scout also gets an accuracy and/or damage bonus to the Elephant Gun and any Assault (not the shotgun) and/or Burst Fire weapons. ("Sharpshooter" and a new trait, "Gunslinger..." or call it "88 Fingers Eddward")

Basically, he specializes in small arms and accurate, single-shot weapons. Marine still kicks ass with rapid-fire weapons (and burst weapons) due to being extremely ammo efficient.

Technician should be able to carry at least 8 modpacks and should start maybe with an Energy Pistol and 50 Cells instead of a standard one and 50 Bullets. He could also have an inventory item (maybe called "Ammo Transmogrifier") that converts either 50 bullets or 10 Shells into 75 Cells (...somehow), allowing him to use Cell weaponry earlier and more often in general. Could also deal extra damage with any Energy/Plasma weapons, and/or faster projectile speed with them (trait name "Overclocker").
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Wonderful ideas Triple S, IMO. They would better distinguish the classes and help me wanna play this mod more. Also, anybody got suggestions what gore packs would go well with this mod?
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Patriot1776 wrote:Wonderful ideas Triple S, IMO. They would better distinguish the classes and help me wanna play this mod more. Also, anybody got suggestions what gore packs would go well with this mod?
Ketchup works well. Anything else is, well, too over the top IMO.

Though I do sorta wish there was a Burl Tumd Lite, since I like the vanilla-themed gore (ALL THE BLOOD SPRITES)

EDIT: Also, thanks for the compliment! It's too bad all I have are ideas - I can't actually make anything for G/ZDoom. :v
thonglover
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by thonglover »

You can't drop weapons :( cause when my inventory was full, i couldn't drop any weapons.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”