[1.9a] Insanity's Requiem Mk.2 | Updated Credits.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sangelothi

Re: [Coming Soon] Insanity's Requiem

Post by Sangelothi »

wildweasel wrote: [*]Many of your weapons have animations consisting solely of duplicate sprites with altered offsets; you can save filesize by replacing these with Offset(x,y)-based animations in Decorate.
I agree with the rest of your comment, but for some reason (and I'm saying this because maybe I'm not the only one) using offset in Decorate has never worked out for me. I just need to see my animation in action with slade or whatever tool is being used. It nearly drove me inane trying to do things with offset in decorate. Obviously practice is all that is needed, but personally I find it to take longer anyways.

As for the mod...
The guns feel good to use...but unfortunately I don't play on a 16:9 resolution. So I didn't really play the wad because I couldn't see much of my hud, just played around for a bit. I hope in the next version this will be fixed. In the mean time, I'll just work something out myself so I can really give the mod a shot :mrgreen:
DoomNukem

Re: [Release] Insanity's Requiem

Post by DoomNukem »

Spoiler: Sarcasm
I don't know why people use this version of the HUD when I re-did much better graphics for AtM that also support 4:3 resolutions, its really ugly.
XCVG wrote:....you managed to get the HUD to work properly on widescreen.
It always worked properly for 16:9, It was based off Mike12's early visor hud which now supports 4:3 however this old hud does not.

anyway, the gameplays pretty solid, the guns feel satisfying to shoot and the hitpuffs all look really nice.
its just aesthetically this brings absolutely nothing new to the table, i've seen most of these sprites before, some original content regarding weapons would be nice.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Now that I'm playing this for real, time to point out some things I've noticed:
  • The melee attack is almost verbatim from Zharkov; the only thing you've changed is removing the altfire.
  • One of the shotguns was an edit collaboration between me and Snarboo and I see no credits for it anywhere in the package.
  • The minigun is Cage's. Again, I see no credit in the package.
  • The weapon on slot 6 is nearly identical to the Leadspitter from mkww-ah.wad, which I never finished and NEVER gave anyone permission to borrow resources from. The graphics might have been fair game (Marty did release them for free use) but borrowing the behavior and sounds from an unfinished mod is not cool.
  • Ammo pickups from Project MSX.
Didn't you say something about giving credit this time? Hmm...
Granted, I didn't really give any credit hardly for that one so I deserved the brutal ass-kicking I got... I didn't make that mistake this time around though.
Just so we're clear, just because you named them "the Xaserian Fruitpunches" isn't really a substitute for credit where it's due.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

It's worth noting that TiberiumSoul is a very frequent offender on the BestEver hosting service for downloading entire wads, editing them without the author's consent, and then reuploading them with his name in the title: I.e. "TibDunIt", "Tibergeddon", or just "Brutal Tib v017".

This is the second time he's made mods with other people's content and hasn't given credit. Other people have been banned for just passing off a sprite as their own.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Other people have been banned for just passing off a sprite as their own.
Why are we still allowing this?
The last person that got banned "for passing off a sprite as their own" actually specifically requested that I delete his account.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Ah, well. My bad, sorry.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

Look inside the file again I did give credit to cage, xaser, etc. I swear that these credits text files that I put in the pk3's are invisible to you guys Do I need to start packing them outside the files in a zip?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Inside the file? Who looks in there? =P

I'd honestly appreciate it more if you'd put some effort into making these resources "your own" instead of pulling them verbatim, because even with credits, what's the point in pulling an entire weapon from one weapon mod just to put it into another weapon mod?
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

I'd have to learn to sprite before I can make my own resources...
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

DoomNukem wrote:
XCVG wrote:....you managed to get the HUD to work properly on widescreen.
It always worked properly for 16:9, It was based off Mike12's early visor hud which now supports 4:3 however this old hud does not.
My usual assumption with ZDoom is that 4:3 will look right and 16:9 will not.
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

TiberiumSoul wrote:Look inside the file again I did give credit to cage, xaser, etc. I swear that these credits text files that I put in the pk3's are invisible to you guys Do I need to start packing them outside the files in a zip?
maybe put them In the thread or a seperate text document. Ive seen most people to that to great effect. It really isnt a hard task i mean You didn't even mention where they were in your first post.
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

Yeah I've got the credits text a an external file in the 1.6 zip file

And as an upcoming changelog:

As WW put it... I've "unwadded" the monsters into one large decorate file and placed the random spawners in a separate decorate file as well.

I've swapped out the shotgun sprites made by WW and Snarboo with sprites that were doom handed by uboa the sprite in question is as far as I know made by Sangelothi and is seen as the "Equalizer Shotgun" in his strife mod The Martyr

When time allows ill get the updated visor HUD by DN and Mike12

Added a new difficulty level: Survive This! Which entails enemies having 10x HP and dealing out 3x damage while schizophrenia which was previously the nightmare setting throws half of Skill 6's difficulty at you at only 5x HP and 1.5x damage.

Altered the behavior of the fruit punch style and limited it to a 4 hit combo of punch punch knee kick and am brainstorming ideas for the leadspitter to make it less of a blatant rip sorry to say I'm keeping the sounds unless I can find a means to recreate them
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, as far as the leadspitter's sounds go, I recall having mixed sounds from a large variety of sources, from Unreal 2's assault rifle to Far Cry's P90, to the minigun from Unreal Tournament 2004 and I think a small touch of Serious Sam 2's minigun for good measure. My best advice, though, is to perhaps try messing with the way the animation works, perhaps figure out a place to put a hand on the weapon, mess with the muzzle flash and the green bit on the side, a mild recolor here and there. Experiment. Goof around with it. Slap a scope on it, who the hell knows. Just something that shows that you actually had a part in making the weapon what it is.
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

I'll see if I can't add a foregrip somewhere on the underside because I want to keep it as close to the original as possible might slap a LCD on it as well though I'd like to keep the behavior as it. Is blatant rip it may be but it's simplistic and I like it that way. if I can find someone who can take the leadspitter's ammo sprite and make it into a single rotation missile ill make it into a fragile ammo unit that can violently explode if it hits a surface hard enough
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Dude after trying this out for a little more, I must request that you nerf the cyberdemon. I don't what it is with people being obsessed with having Cyberdemons with instant one hit kills and all, but this not a good trend that has unfortunately been carried over from Hard Doom. Now while you didn't add any irritating attacks like the BFG 9000 or super fast guided missles, that green laser blast he loves shooting isn't too far off from being really, really cheap.

I wouldn't mind it so much if his health was a little lesser, but the damn thing is near impossible to kill. Just try playing Sgt Mark IV's holocaust map and make an attempt to kill the first Cyber demon without any cheats and insanity difficulty.

You can't get past him. I have beaten Hard Doom and Brutal Doom in that map, perhaps once or twice every hundred tries, but this is just impossible. There is no way to beat that mutha***fucker.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”