[WIP] Void's Red Alert Doom Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
void

[WIP] Void's Red Alert Doom Mod

Post by void »

Well, after getting kind of bored of DECORATE, I started meddling around in sprite-making, and so I thought of turning doom into an RTS game, like
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2/3.

So that's what I did.

Basically, the game functions like a FPS version of red alert 2. You start out only able to build a construction yard, but as you build stuff,
you unlock more things to build.

Barracks will automatically deploy monsters (Which can get messy if you put it in a place with a low ceiling),
and so do war factories and airports.

All of the buildings are somewhat-authentic to red alert 2, the power plants, refineries, even the defencive structures like pill boxes and prism towers.

I've only completed a 3rd of this mod so far, I've completed the american faction, and later I will work on the other 2 factions, as well as other misc updates to the game.

Check out the pics, download the mod, and tell me what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dyjs5sqvx1en2yi - Make sure to read the text file with it if you want extra-detailed information on how the mod works.
Patriot1776

Re: [WIP] Void's Red Alert Doom Mod

Post by Patriot1776 »

This I gather is going to be a multiplayer-only mod? I'm not exactly sure how this is going to work on single-player.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

I seriously hope those sprites are placeholders.

Are monsters full sized? They should be to the scale of the buildings, like that one garrysmod addon I can't remember the name of.

It also needs custom maps. Badly. Unless you're going for an Army Men dynamic normally scaled maps don't work.
void

Post by void »

I love how everyone guessed/suggested the exact opposite of what I had planned for the mod.
I feel like the one guy who went to a fancy tuxedo-wearing party wearing a t-shirt and sweat pants.

Well here's what I can and can't do.

Can't do---------
1. Zdoom isn't multiplayer, this mod is meant for single player, and I was thinking of making some sort've base-building enemy AI much much later in the development.
2. Those sprites are not placeholders, I just barely got into sprite-making, I honestly don't know what you're expecting from me.
3. I mostly just do small-time stuff and this was honestly just a shot in the dark to see what I have fun with making.. If I feel pressured or stressed over making this mod,
then I've lost the purpose of making it in the first place, and I'll probably end up abandoning it and going back to making small-time stuff. (Stick to what you're good at, right?)

Can do-----------
3. The buildings are small to scale for the doom maps, because those are the maps you'd probably be playing them with.. Much later in development I
probably will add new maps to accommodate the mod's style of game play, and THEN re-scale the buildings..
4. If I were to actually progress in making this mod far enough (Without giving up because I felt discouraged and over my head) , I would probably have enough time to plot doing what you guys might expect.. Adding voices to the game like when you're unable to build something, or when you lose a unit, sticking some classic red alert music in there, and if I really wanted to jump the shark, rip the buildings straight from red-alert 2 and use them as the sprites.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

void wrote:Can't do---------
1. Zdoom isn't multiplayer,
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Samsara is, and I'm pretty sure that it's compatible with zdoom/zandronum.

Why can't you just make red alert themed monsters/weapons/maps... why bring RTS into a game that clearly will never even come close to matching a RTS, with no advantages.
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

Just in case you missed it, Zdoom allows you to use sprites of any resolution, you're not limited to the same pixel size as vanilla Doom. I think it's the XScale and YScale fields of Actor. Even for spawned things, it shouldn't be hard to use miniaturized Doom monsters so that the player gets a better view of what's happening. Just be sure to adjust all geometric properties accordingly : width, speed, the reach for melee attacks, Y offset of spawned projectiles, etc.
edit: Wait, tiny monsters would no longer be able to climb stairs, so...
Last edited by Vigilante on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

TheUnbeholden wrote:Why can't you just make red alert themed monsters/weapons/maps... why bring RTS into a game that clearly will never even come close to matching a RTS, with no advantages.
This. I've never understood how ZDoom Wars got so popular when this is true.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

[/quote]
Image[/quote]

That...is even more disturbing than a regular Iron Lich.
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

As long as it has that announcer voice, I'm fucking there man!
void

Post by void »

twinkieman93 wrote:
TheUnbeholden wrote:Why can't you just make red alert themed monsters/weapons/maps... why bring RTS into a game that clearly will never even come close to matching a RTS, with no advantages.
This. I've never understood how ZDoom Wars got so popular when this is true.
That's because it's not. Plenty of people enjoy making large armies to combat other armies with, and the strategy lied
in the types of monsters you used, and the faction you chose.

It's kinda like the same reason why everyone hated gvh even though that was so popular.. Simple strategy.. Gvh was a rock-paper-scissors style of deathmatch,
where for every class, there was a class it excelled at killing, and a class that excelled at killing IT.. This gives players advantages, and makes them have to think about
where to go, or what class to use in order to beat the other team, sort've like Team Fortress 2..

The people who hated gvh were usually the ones who hung out in vanilla-type games like duels and such (Where the only strategy is to simply shoot to kill)
, but the thing is you shouldn't put down something just because you don't like it when a bunch of people do, because then you're just calling all the people who like it inferior.

And if that was the case, there were a lot more "inferior" people playing gvh and zdoomwars back then than there were duelists and DM'ers.. Which would by
logic, make the smaller group the inferior one..

Not to mention CTF was also a strategic game, and their servers were also packed half the time.. So.. Just throwin' that out there..

Also..
Samsara is, and I'm pretty sure that it's compatible with zdoom/zandronum.

Why can't you just make red alert themed monsters/weapons/maps... why bring RTS into a game that clearly will never even come close to matching a RTS, with no advantages.
I've never heard of samara, but if it's multiplayer, and compatible with zdoom, THANK YOU for bringing that to my attention, good sir.

Secondly. to be honest, someone already made a large-scale red-alert mod for doom, which is popular on skulltag/zandronum, which was called all out war (I think)..

That being said, please let me re-iterate, this mod was just a shot in the dark, a random experiment.. Clearly I overshot my own abilities making it so I'm probably
gonna trash it and just go back to regular stuff that I do..
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

void wrote:Secondly. to be honest, someone already made a large-scale red-alert mod for doom, which is popular on skulltag/zandronum, which was called all out war (I think)..
All-Out War is actually based on C&C: Renegade, not Red Alert. I think, in terms of the RTS games, the tech used is closest to Tiberian Sun, but I'm no C&C guru.
void

Post by void »

Ethril wrote: All-Out War is actually based on C&C: Renegade, not Red Alert. I think, in terms of the RTS games, the tech used is closest to Tiberian Sun, but I'm no C&C guru.
True, but I mean it still has the basic feel of a C&C game which is what I was originally going for..
Of course thier mod is very advanced and tricked-out.. I could never make anything like that.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”