[Unstable] There's Something About Tails

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zombieguy

Re: [No BS Zone/WIP] There's Something About Tails

Post by Zombieguy »

Ah, I see.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

With a lot of deliberation, I decided to add "Spirit Orbs" into the game. These spirit orbs come in three sizes, which give 5, 10, and 20 skill points (as well as 2, 2, and 4 health points up to 80!). They will usually be stashed in secrets or hard to reach areas, furthering skill point bonuses.
Unlike most other games where kills drop orbs, about the only difference is that these are placed on the map. Any kills you get, objectives you complete, or secrets you discover (or other strange things you could get rewarded for), the skill point rewards are automatically given to you. These orbs can be picked up and further deposited into your skill point account.
Spirit orbs came about because I've got way too damn many Power Rings lying about and I needed an alternate reward for poking your nose around. This should harden up the demo considerably in the later stages.

This may seem like a small update, but I've been busy fixing loads of script bugs from MAP02. There was a ... lot of them. I also toned down the enemy strength considerably in MAP02. The level progression was a mess.
ravage

Post by ravage »

I need to learn how you did those scripted menus for skills, as I'm trying to do something similar with my zHeretic mod.

All in all this is really looking sweet. I can't wait to give it a play!
Project Shadowcat

ravage wrote:I need to learn how you did those scripted menus for skills, as I'm trying to do something similar with my zHeretic mod.
[wiki]GetPlayerInput[/wiki] is used to highlight and select items with movement keys and the Use key. The same basic system is used for my shop as well. The player must be held in place for it to work "right". I can give you the source script if you need it bad enough.
All in all this is really looking sweet. I can't wait to give it a play!
Thank you. :)
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Just out of curiosity, are the characters based off the SATAM characters or the Archie ones?
Project Shadowcat

BlazingPhoenix wrote:Just out of curiosity, are the characters based off the SATAM characters or the Archie ones?
In most cases it'll be Archie, but pre-#50 (which was about 15 years ago). Bunnie's design is the only one that is truly unique from the others thanks to "[PDF lojik]".
ravage

Post by ravage »

Project Dark Fox wrote:
ravage wrote:I need to learn how you did those scripted menus for skills, as I'm trying to do something similar with my zHeretic mod.
[wiki]GetPlayerInput[/wiki] is used to highlight and select items with movement keys and the Use key. The same basic system is used for my shop as well. The player must be held in place for it to work "right". I can give you the source script if you need it bad enough.
It usually helps me out to have a visual reference; seeing how its done can help me do it myself. :D
Project Shadowcat

This should help, then. I have a keybind tied to activate Script 901 so that a player may enter the skill menu at any time. The script is smart enough to know if you're actually alive or not.
Anyone else is free to check it out, too, if they want to use it for reference.
Attachments
shopsrc.txt
(16.39 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Is this scrip based on an activated item? If so, then I probably have a chance to make my simplified Strife dialogue script like sub-inventory or something like that.
Project Shadowcat

RV-007 wrote:Is this scrip based on an activated item?
No, it uses a basic int to check to be sure the menu is on or not (shopon). And if you actually downloaded the script and saw the first ten lines you'd have seen that.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Should I worry about anything that's in 'mastlib?'
Project Shadowcat

ravage wrote:Should I worry about anything that's in 'mastlib?'
That is a piece of the mastlib ("master library") itself, it's a global script. That line can probably be removed or renamed.
Project Shadowcat

Added a small pile of screenshots for the prison map, MAP04, to the first post.

I also just want to point out that RPG levels have now been fully incorporated into the pistol, shotgun, rifle and pulse laser as well as previously max health, regeneration, flight stamina, running speed, and now reloading as well. Only Melee remains (as does Heavy weapons, but there won't be any in the first chapter). Yes, with wildweasel's help, reloading is in, too. This will require a rebalancing of all the maps in the game. There's no screenshots of any of this yet because no new artwork has been done.
Project Shadowcat

I've adjusted the status bar some; the useless Regen bar (which was green when filled up) has been removed in favor of shifting the health value over to the left to add a maximum value (since it is now adjustable). Should hopefully be a little easier to tell how you're doing.
VERY slowly been doing some backend stuff that a screenshot wouldn't help with, either. Essentially, this is a simple update that the project is still on, but time has just been so short.
Especially since I am in another housing issue as I type this, but that's for another topic.
ChOcObOeAtEr1

Post by ChOcObOeAtEr1 »

Really glad that you are still working on this, I first read the comic a few years ago and I thought the idea of a TSAT doom mod was EPIC!
Keep up the good work and I can't wait until you finish it!

------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought you weren't doing it anymore since I haven't seen a update for TSAT on the website for a while now, but happy to see your still working on this! XD

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”