[WIP]Hexen: Bane of the Shadow Riders

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Silentdarkness12

[WIP]Hexen: Bane of the Shadow Riders

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

I've finished the first map of a truly epic Hexen project that I expect to span over about 10 hubs. It's called "Hexen: Bane of the Serpent Riders".

One by one, the Shadow Riders fell. D'Sparil, Korax and even Eidolon perished at the hands of powerful heroes, mortal, yet seemingly indestructible. After the fall of Eidolon, two of the worlds finally saw light for the first time in too long. But, such was not the case for your world, tortured to lifelessness by Korax's evil. You had vanquished Korax within the realm of his own terror, but the shadow of the Serpent Riders refused to part, a further evil remaining. You attempted to defeat this lingering doom with the powers of the Chaos Sphere, but to no avail. The menacing creatures returned before long, in small numbers, perhaps, but growing. It indeed seemed that your world was forever damned. The game was over.

You retired to a wrecked, ruined castle with only a handful or two of servants to accompany you, survivors of Korax's wrath. But, after a month of quiet tension, they came for you, murdering the remaining servants without breaking a sweat, with new anger, new faces. Meanwhile, you simply locked yourself up in a room in a high tower, contemplating your demise. Soon, the last of the servants, will succumb. Then, they will come for you.

The enemy approaches. You need to arm yourself.

M_HTIC.JPG
M_HTIC.JPG (3.01 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Screenshot_Hexen_20130822_150830.JPG
Screenshot_Hexen_20130822_152745.JPG
New Features:

Fighter class has double the maximum health and slightly increased defense.
Cleric class has GREATLY increased Armor capacity. So much that, when at full armor, weak attacks will be fully absorbed.
Mage Class has increased speed than normal, to compensate for only slightly higher maximum health and no real boost to armor class.

New Items:

Scroll of Hellfire: Summon a blazing wall of flames to scorch your foes, while you watch or run away.
Ankh of Life: One of a set of ankhs that will improve the maximum health you can get from crystal vials or quartz flasks.
Icon of the Raven: Fly like a Bird!

New Foes:

Cursed Wanderer: These damned souls used to serve the Serpent Riders, but with them gone, they have rebelled, carving their own twisted path. However, they do not compare well with the tougher minions.

Butcher: These dark servants make up for a lack of projectile attacks with a mighty tough blow from a war hammer. They will crack your skull without giving it a second thought.

Ghoul: Reconstituted Golems that will make your life miserable. They have a projectile attack that lobs posion spheres at you, similar to the Serpent Staff's projectiles. And they leave behind a cloud of poison gas when they die.

Hex Prism: These stationary gem gizmos may look harmless at first glance, but when you get in range, they will hound you with psychic energies blasting at you. Brittle, however.

Wandering Wraith: These angry souls will see even the Cleric as foe, and charge at them. Don't let them get close if you can help it, or they'll rip you to pieces. Easy to dispose of, however.

Nightmare: This phantasmal beast toys with it's prey, shifting in and out of sight, closing in slowly on the victim, then slashing just for a moment, before turning invisible again. Keep your eyes peeled.

Once I can expand this further even more, there will be far more to come. This is going to be a good time for me to put out some ideas that I have been kicking around in my head for a long time, and a great learning experience. AKA, i'll learn how to make a great mod XD

The only thing I can foresee needing help with is a set of sprites for some shifty humanoid creatures made of marble, and i'm set. PM if you're interested.

And, because I believe in initial offerings to the community: http://www.mediafire.com/?c0yzv14xrh13yz4 Here. Have a demo. It's the first level. Please give some constructive criticism, so I can improve moving to the first actual hub: The Dark City. Thank you.

Credits are included in the archive file and the wad.

-Silentdarkness12
Last edited by Silentdarkness12 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
SoloSpaghetti

Re: [WIP]Hexen: Bane of the Shadow Riders

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

I played through the level, that's not bad, but it need more details and (in my opinion) smaller rooms than actual ones.
I noticed a bug in the first room, there is something wrong with library (it seems that two lines are compenetrating ore something), and then in the corridor with the two doors on the two sides, the right one had some texture problems, I don't know if you were lazy and you didn'y want do make another Polyobject o it's just an error. :)
Enough said... Keep it on! I'm curios to see what this will become. :)
Silentdarkness12

1. Creating detailed levels in Hexen is a bit tricky due to the relatively small texture sets for each type of level. I'll see what I can cook up sometime. I will work on detail before the alpha release (3 Hubs).

2. It's a problem with multiple 3D floors. Next version, I may do away with the bookcase.

3. Are you using Zdoom or GZDoom? Care to be more specific?
Silentdarkness12

Okay, a quick update. I added the Shadowcaster and Bakers' Legacy texture packs. The creativity should flow a lot better now.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

GzDoom, the latest one, does this change anything?
Silentdarkness12

Um, I don't really know. I do know that ZDoom doesn't take named scripts well.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:I do know that ZDoom doesn't take named scripts well.
Huh?
Silentdarkness12

Gez wrote:
Silentdarkness12 wrote:I do know that ZDoom doesn't take named scripts well.
Huh?
If you go to the Brutal Doom facebook page and browse for a bit, you'll see I released another small DooM project involving the Ultimate Icon Boss wad by the Sarge. Won't work properly in ZDoom because I have a named script. Changed it to a number script, worked fine.

EDIT: Work on the main hub for the Dark City has begun!
Last edited by Silentdarkness12 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:If you go to the Brutal Doom facebook page and browse for a bit, you'll see I released another small DooM project involving the Ultimate Icon Boss wad by the Sarge. Won't work properly in ZDoom because I have a named script. Changed it to a number script, worked fine.
Named scripts are a ZDoom feature. It sounds like you need a more recent version if those aren't working.
Silentdarkness12

wildweasel wrote:
Silentdarkness12 wrote:If you go to the Brutal Doom facebook page and browse for a bit, you'll see I released another small DooM project involving the Ultimate Icon Boss wad by the Sarge. Won't work properly in ZDoom because I have a named script. Changed it to a number script, worked fine.
Named scripts are a ZDoom feature. It sounds like you need a more recent version if those aren't working.
So do all the people on Facebook. They had the same problem. Only worked in GZDoom.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Are you absolutely, positively sure that you have downloaded the latest version of ZDoom?
Silentdarkness12

I have 2.5. But.....say, isn't it weird that several people in a ROW who checked out my facebook post couldn't get it to work on their zdooms either?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:I have 2.5. But.....say, isn't it weird that several people in a ROW who checked out my facebook post couldn't get it to work on their zdooms either?
2.5 is not the latest version of ZDoom. It is, in fact, quite ancient. It sounds like those people need to update as well.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Zdoom 2.7.1 is the latest offical... So yeah you're using a very very old version.
Silentdarkness12

Upgraded to 2.8. Problem solved.

Return to “Levels”