playing doom2 online

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
LoN)DUKE_NUKEM

playing doom2 online

Post by LoN)DUKE_NUKEM »

how exacly do i play doom2 online i dl zdoom 1.22 and every time i try and use it it said somthing like w_getnumforname:stcfn033 not found! so what do i need to go to fix this
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Heh, for starters, get the latest version from zdoom.org...
LoN)DUKE_NUKEM

zdoom

Post by LoN)DUKE_NUKEM »

that didnt help where do i get it
Biff

Post by Biff »

You need to get zdoom working for single player before you try multiplayer games. That error sounds like you do not have an IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad) in your zdoom folder.

To play online, you will find it much easier to use Zdaemon at this time. Go to http://zdaemon.org and get the complete package. Set it up, including the "WAD directories" under "settings" so the launcher can find your doom2.wad and other wad files. The launcher shows what wad files are being played and it's common to see dwango5.wad, which is a well-known doom2 deathmatch wad. If you don't know, zdaemon is zdoom 1.23 with client-server code added.

If you are intent on using zdoom online, you have to make sure that you are using the same zdoom version as the other players. Most people will have moved on from zdoom 1.22 to the zdoom 47.cab file version on this web site.
Biff

Re: zdoom

Post by Biff »

LoN)DUKE_NUKEM wrote:that didnt help where do i get it
leha meant for you to go to the main zdoom web page, click on the "download" button, look at the top of the list. There is the latest zdoom 2.x version. It's the thing to download if you want to try out the latest improvements in single player. 47.cab is the file you want and Winzip can open it.
LoN)DUKE_NUKEM

Post by LoN)DUKE_NUKEM »

thanxk but one more Q do i need any thing more if im useing doom 95
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yes Duke. You must set doom95 aside. Zdaemon and zdoom are complete doom engines and don't need doom95.exe.

You should probably start by getting the latest zdoom (47.cab), and set it up in its own folder, or put it where you have your doom wads. At a mininum, you only need doom.wad or doom2.wad with it. Set up a shortcut to zdoom.exe, or simply double click zdoom.exe, let it start up and then go through all of the menus to set up. Let us know of you have any problems playing doom solo.

After that, zdaemon setup is similar if you're eager for multiplayer and you can find online deathmatch games right away.
LoN)DUKE_NUKEM

Post by LoN)DUKE_NUKEM »

in my zdoom programe there anit no doom2 or doom.wad there is onle a zdoom.wad file but is it all the same or will i get what i neen in the programe you said to download
LoN)DUKE_NUKEM

Post by LoN)DUKE_NUKEM »

ok i got the game to play with the zdoom in single player and its perfik now how do i play online
Biff

Post by Biff »

The only way I play zdoom online is to arrange a game with someone else, talking over ICQ or AIM for example. One person has to host, the other is the "client".

I think there are some launchers which help with that process, maybe Doom Connector, but I always just type the needed commands at the "command prompt", i.e. the DOS prompt. For example, the host types zdoom -host 2 -deathmatch -nomonsters to host a two-player dm game in map01 of doom2, assuming both players have doom2.wad in the zdoom folder. (If you have more than one IWAD, zdoom will display a menu allowing you to select. Other IWADS include heretic.wad, plutonia.wad, hexen.wad....).

A client would join with zdoom -join (IP address of the host). That means you will have to tell the client what your IP address is.

Note that the host specifies the total number of players in the game, including the host. If you don't type a number after the -host argument, zdoom will default to a two-player game. If you don't specify -deathmatch, it will be a cooperative game.

That all being said, unless someone else here can help out with more information about doom connector or another launcher, I think the above stuff will be a fair bit of trouble for you as you are just starting out and I'd really suggest you give zdaemon a try. If you do, be sure to put zdaemon in its own folder because it uses a different version of fmod.dll than zdoom 47.cab does and it'll give you an error if you allow them to overwrite.

With zdaemon, you can start zdaemon.exe and configure. Then, exit that and start up zlauncher.exe. You should see lots of servers and some will have games in progress. Note what wad is being played and be sure you have that one. Be aware that if you are on a modem and your ping is over 150 - 250 to a server, you will probably notice some lag in weapons firing. Don't be discouraged, it takes a little while to adjust to that.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Biff wrote:Be aware that if you are on a modem and your ping is over 150 - 250 to a server, you will probably notice some lag in weapons firing. Don't be discouraged, it takes a little while to adjust to that.
that and evrybody will start to complain about your lag :D
LoN)DUKE_NUKEM

Post by LoN)DUKE_NUKEM »

any one know how to keep my ping from starting at like 100 and going to 56k ping because as soon as i start playing my ping gose up like a rakit any one have any pachs to fix this
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

get cable :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

zdeamon.
damn. in Poland there is not good internet. very slowwwww. maybe isdn is fast (i've got it) and cable
Biff

Post by Biff »

LoN)DUKE_NUKEM wrote:any one know how to keep my ping from starting at like 100 and going to 56k ping because as soon as i start playing my ping gose up like a rakit any one have any pachs to fix this
I assume you are using a 56K modem. First off, you need a "controller" modem, not a "Winmodem". Then, you can do several things to optimize your modem settings, including setting MTU to 576, enabling hardware compression and IP header compression. Also, if you have a choice of connect protocol, try X2 vs V90.
Sorry if all this is "Greek" to you, but you can do internet searches on these topics and come up with all the modem support information you could ask for. The most important thing, if you can't get cable or DSL, is to make sure you do not have a Winmodem (uses CPU and software to emulate the hardware functions of better modems). Also, you are dependent on your ISP to provide low latency to the internet and that is not always possible.

Return to “Networking”