Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lippeth

Re: [NEW HUD!] Another weapon mod using others' resources

Post by Lippeth »

Woolie Wool wrote:I'd suggest changing the ammo font to the Doom font rather than the BTSX font because the BTSX font looks very out of place with the Doom graphics.
Unless I use the intermission font which might look a bit odd, the standard Doom font is a bit too big for the HUD graphic without recreating the entire right side. If there are any font resources that could be linked, I would be grateful. If not, then I can try to make the intermission font work, but I wanted the ammo numbers to look totally different from the health and armor, so I can always try to create my own.
SyntherAugustus

Re: [NEW HUD!] Another weapon mod using others' resources

Post by SyntherAugustus »

That ammo counter actually looks pretty neat with the BTSX graphics. When I finally update my HUDs I might consider using that sort of design.
Max Dickings

Re: [WIP] Another weapon mod using others' resources

Post by Max Dickings »

Wow, I really like that hud. Its a good blend of old-school and a new design, good job.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I've updated several things. The main feature being iron sights on the assault rifle. I wonder if there's a way to only apply the NOAUTOFIRE flag only to alt fire. Overall, I guess this little project is done.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Lippeth wrote:I wonder if there's a way to only apply the NOAUTOFIRE flag only to alt fire.
Just don't give it an A_ReFire command.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I didn't, and without the no auto fire flag, holding alt fire jets back and forth between sections. I'm sure there's another way around this, and I can live with how it is for now. Does A_ChangeFlag work in this scenario? It doesn't work with the flag I want, but I could be missing something.

I don't even know why I put iron sights in to begin with, it almost requires mouselook, and I wanted this wad to be able to function without it. I guess it's there for those who want to use it.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Then just give it the NOAUTOFIRE flag, and you should be set. A_ChangeFlag won't work, because it would affect player flags, but these are weapon flags.
Lippeth

Re: [WIP] Weapons of Saturn

Post by Lippeth »

UPDATE 10/7/2013: Smoke effects have been added, the shotgun and rifle can be zoomed in for better accuracy, and I've tried to add a laser sight on the zoomed in rifle, but it's so buggy that I may end up taking it out. Feel free to have fun with this and bring back your thoughts and criticisms. Or teach me how to code a gosh darn laser sight. I'm still new at this stuff.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I really really like this for some reason. its simple and good looking. my only regret is i cant use this with hard doom since you have custom monsters in there :(
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Coding a laser sight is best done with some hitscan tricks, since doing it otherwise makes it lag horribly. Lemme grab the relevant code from Greaser Enahcned right quick....

Code: Select all

TNT1 A 0 A_FireBullets(0,0,1,0,"LaserSight",FBF_NOFLASH|FBF_NOPITCH|FBF_NORANDOMPUFFZ) //change LaserSight to the actor you are using for a laser sight
Put this wherever your gun should be making sure there's a laser dot on something and you're gold.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Just make sure to give the laser puff BLOODLESSIMPACT so enemies don't start gushing blood if you aim at them.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Does it also require +ALWAYSPUFF? Thanks for remembering the other part of the puff creation.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

DoomRater wrote:Does it also require +ALWAYSPUFF? Thanks for remembering the other part of the puff creation.
Probably not, since it's a hitscan, which has infinite (for our purposes) range by default. Those will always hit something, be it a wall or a shootable target. They can't 'miss', which is what ALWAYSPUFF is truly useful for, so a state for missed hits can be created.

These lasers will probably need PUFFONACTORS if Lippeth wants them to appear on shootable targets' bodies.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

PUFFONACTORS is probably what I was thinking of. Heh whoops.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks, guys! It's a lot more accurate using hitscan, but is there a way to remove the decal for just the laser puff? Assigning "None" to the laser doesn't do anything, and I don't want to remove decals for the whole weapon. Or Is there a property option to add it to specific lines after removing it from the weapon actor?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”