Catacomb Trilogy for ZDoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
inferion_

Catacomb Trilogy for ZDoom?

Post by inferion_ »

Update because this thread shows up in google search:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61795

As a kid I loved playing Catacomb Abyss and Doom. Now I still play Doom thanks to ports, but trying to replay Catacomb Abyss with DosBox often results in splitting headaches and finding myself to take five seconds to turn around IRL after playing the game for an hour. My childish imagination is gone and I can't enjoy the game completely anymore.

So I decided to remake Catacomb Abyss, Apocalypse, and Armageddon for ZDoom.

I did some work on it, but it's a very early WIP. So far I got the textures and the exploding walls to work, and made the first level (though that takes a ridiculously short time to make as all catacomb maps are just squares with equal widths and heights). I've yet to code the interface, inventory, monsters, weapons, the way doors open when you come near them, and just everything else to make it seem as much as the original game as possible. I'm going with a steady pace, but this would be my first ZDoom project so I'm learning as I go, which makes it a tad slower.

I'm making this thread to see if there are any people who are interested in this, as it would give me motivation to keep working on it. Also if there would be any legal issues with me doing this project, because, as far as I know, the Catacomb Trilogy is still being sold.

I didn't put this in the Projects section, because I'm not sure if I'll go through with it (if there's really no one interested and/or legal issues), and like I said it still is a very early WIP.
Last edited by inferion_ on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mallo

Re: Catacomb Trilogy for ZDoom?

Post by mallo »

Oh, I played the Catacomb Trilogy as a kid too! (And loved it too!)
I was thinking, however, that I should make ECWolf compatible with it, as it's and Wolfenstein's engine are basically the same.
It will take looong time, however.

By the way, what's so wrong with playing on DOSBox?
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

The controls and the FOV seem to bother me. Making a ZDoom mod would give it just that bit enhanced graphics and way better controls. Also, multiplayer would be a thing too.
If none of that seems like anything too important, it would at least be interesting to play it on the ZDoom engine. :)
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

Multiplayer? I think for these games that'd be a bad idea, unless it's only 2 players, which still would be pretty bad given the maps are like what. 16x16? It's been a long time since I worked with C3D (I did make a few maps and remember it being so easy that I lost interest and moved on to Wolf3d, where I still am today :D).
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

The maps are made of cubes which hold textures that are 16x16, that's 64 length in Doom Builder.
So using those cubes as measurement, the maps are mostly 40x28.

Multiplayer wasn't my focus anyway. Making it available isn't too much of an issue so I though why not implement it.

And I never played through C3D though, my interest is in the Trilogy :p
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

I tried something like this once. I didn't go very far with it, but I did try to revamp some of the graphics into VGA (example). I think the hardest thing to get working would be the crystal ball. For the doors opening on touch, there's an option in Hexen or UDMF map formats to activate on player bump.

So, a little interest, at least.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

How do you intend to create the wall chunks that you can destroy by shooting them? I used to love those games but I'd be very interested to see how you manage that :)
TheUltimateDoomer666

Post by TheUltimateDoomer666 »

I played all of the Catacomb 3D games in DOSBox. I don't really find the field of view or controls to be troublesome. It would be interesting to see this running in a port, but only if it has enhanced features that are worth it.
mallo

Post by mallo »

gerolf wrote:Multiplayer? I think for these games that'd be a bad idea, unless it's only 2 players, which still would be pretty bad given the maps are like what. 16x16? It's been a long time since I worked with C3D (I did make a few maps and remember it being so easy that I lost interest and moved on to Wolf3d, where I still am today :D).
The maps could have any size - it was heavily modified Commander Keen engine. ;)
Indecom wrote:How do you intend to create the wall chunks that you can destroy by shooting them? I used to love those games but I'd be very interested to see how you manage that :)
I bet it will just change texture to a animated one and after a few seconds will make ceiling raise.
inferion_ wrote:The maps are made of cubes which hold textures that are 16x16, that's 64 length in Doom Builder.
So using those cubes as measurement, the maps are mostly 40x28.

Multiplayer wasn't my focus anyway. Making it available isn't too much of an issue so I though why not implement it.

And I never played through C3D though, my interest is in the Trilogy :p
The wall textures are 64x64, not 16x16. Maybe you looked at the map editor icons? :P
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

mallo wrote:
Indecom wrote: How do you intend to create the wall chunks that you can destroy by shooting them? I used to love those games but I'd be very interested to see how you manage that :)
I bet it will just change texture to a animated one and after a few seconds will make ceiling raise.
Floor lowers, but that's correct :D
mallo wrote: The wall textures are 64x64, not 16x16. Maybe you looked at the map editor icons? :P
Nope, I just got confused. I have no idea why I said that, but you're right.
TheUltimateDoomer666 wrote:I played all of the Catacomb 3D games in DOSBox. I don't really find the field of view or controls to be troublesome. It would be interesting to see this running in a port, but only if it has enhanced features that are worth it.
Mouselook?
mallo

Post by mallo »

Or, why don't we remake it? Ya' know, Remade levels, new graphics etc.?
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

I was going to make some custom levels once I finish the trilogy, ones that would be up to date with doom wads. But since I'm trying to recreate the original game, I don't think I'll remake the original levels.

As for new graphics, that would be great but I don't have the skills to make new textures...
Making an unofficial sequel would be just amazing though.
Luktom100

Post by Luktom100 »

inferion_ wrote:I didn't put this in the Projects section, because I'm not sure if I'll go through with it (if there's really no one interested and/or legal issues), and like I said it still is a very early WIP.
Now let be tell you something, there is no point of asking this kind of question. If you have that kind of desire, to remake the old C3D games, then just do it, you dont have to ask if there someone interested in playing it, becouse sooner or later, there will be a person, which will play it, or at least show some interest. Im sure, that for a lot of people a TC like this would be the first time playing the o'l Catacomb. After all Catacomb games were quickly forgotten, after the relase of WOLF3d, so it would also be a great opportunity for players to check it once more, becouse it really can be fun, and a modern port realese would do a lot of good for the game :D

If it comes to me personally, then YES, YES, YES, YES. I WILL PLAY IT. I WILL ENJOY IT. I WILL CHERISH IT, AND I WILL LOVE IT. :D

PS. Remember that there were 4 games in the Catacomb series.

PPS. Please make my dreams happen. I mean come on you're a wizard shooting fireball's! How cool is that? :D
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Never did play the Catacomb games, so if you remade them, I'd probably take the chance to finally do so.
justin_see

Post by justin_see »

I started remaking it once but then I got tired of playing catacomb while trying to "catch the vibe". I prolly have a folder full of sprites sitting on a CD somewhere.

Return to “General”