[Add-On] Extra Badass Monster Pack for Project MSX [v 1.7]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
VICE

[Add-On] Extra Badass Monster Pack for Project MSX [v 1.7]

Post by VICE »

Hello there!
This mod adds some new monsters to the fray (through random spawn replacement), designed to compliment the rest of the MSX crew in their behavior, while introducing some new abilities and behaviors to spice things up.

! Use with Project MSX version 0.2a, make sure you load this mod after Project MSX. !

Keep in mind that all of these monsters are generally tougher and deadlier than the ones they are based on, so playing with this add-on makes the game much more difficult.

~ Download The Latest Version (v 1.7) ~

Have fun, and if you have an idea for a cool monster, feel free to suggest it.

Monsters in the current version:
Spoiler:
Items in the current version:
Spoiler:
Changelog + Version Archive:
Spoiler:
To-Do list:
Spoiler:
Last edited by VICE on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:17 am, edited 110 times in total.
Mav3rick

Re: [Add-On] Extra Baddies for Project MSX

Post by Mav3rick »

played with and i got this message when killed the dark caco... P_startscript: unknown script 648
the rest of the enemies work fine
VICE

Post by VICE »

Updated with a few changes and a couple of new monsters.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

can you lower the health of the Skull Wizard? it take too much ammo for not be a high rank moster and if there is no a powerfull weapon at hand it will take many hits, causing havoc and since they are special ones may they drop some special items?

having a blast so far with the new buddies :D
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The Skull Wizard looks very much out of place in a mod where Doom is the target game, if you ask me.
VICE

Post by VICE »

The Skull Wizard is supposed to be a Hellknight-strength monster, but yeah, I suppose it could stand to have a bit less health. I've only tested fighting it in large open areas earlier, and now that I've played a few levels that were more cramped, I can see how this kind of guy can be too much trouble with a lot of health.
Not sure what kind of item it should drop. Maybe I'll give it a small chance of dropping an overshield sphere.

Glad you like it so far. I've got a few more ideas on the way, and I'll probably keep tweaking the existing monsters as I get more feedback and fight them myself.
The Skull Wizard looks very much out of place in a mod where Doom is the target game, if you ask me.
I picked it specifically because it looks a lot like a Kabro wizard, and with the way the hellknights are colored, one could pass the Kabro, the Hellknights and the Wizards as members of the same general species.
I can see how the "magic" aspect could look out of place in Doom, but I don't think it's that much of a stretch. I might do some changes to the sprites eventually to make them look more Doom-appropriate, like removing the gold trimmings from their robes and giving them some "Doomier" death frames.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

This is kind of an aesthetic thing, but do you think you could make the troopers sound more like zombies? I agree on the wizard, he doesn't quite fit in with the more modern looking troopers or the demonic enemies.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Megaherz wrote: Not sure what kind of item it should drop. Maybe I'll give it a small chance of dropping an overshield sphere.
maybe medkits and shield recharger since there are maps where that is scarce
-Ghost- wrote:This is kind of an aesthetic thing, but do you think you could make the troopers sound more like zombies? I agree on the wizard, he doesn't quite fit in with the more modern looking troopers or the demonic enemies.
mmm about this point maybe you will be able to find a zombie sound that you will like, for some reason the sound they have now look proper, i cant see a zombie scream at me brains and then run like mad since in msx they are very fast lol, and no im not been rude just a opinion
MagSigmaX

Post by MagSigmaX »

Thanks for taking the time to create more baddies for Project MSX, but I wasn't been able to test all the new monsters thoroughly since I'm on a vacation trip and I don't use my PC so often. When I test the new monsters I'll let you know what I think about them.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Updated with some balance changes and a new monster. A to-do list has been added to the first post.
If you have an idea for a cool monster, feel free to suggest it.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Maybe some sort of melee zombie? I always felt that was a niche Doom was missing, a weak melee zombie that would mix in with the lower grunts as cannon fodder only dangerous in high numbers. Maybe make them possessed/zombified civvies or scientists? There are some good sprites floating around for that and it'd be a nice break in between all the projectiles.
VICE

Post by VICE »

-Ghost- wrote:This is kind of an aesthetic thing, but do you think you could make the troopers sound more like zombies?
Sorry, but that's not within the scope of the mod. The idea here is to expand, not modify, and the grunts in Project MSX are all human.
Maybe some sort of melee zombie? I always felt that was a niche Doom was missing, a weak melee zombie that would mix in with the lower grunts as cannon fodder only dangerous in high numbers. Maybe make them possessed/zombified civvies or scientists? There are some good sprites floating around for that and it'd be a nice break in between all the projectiles.
I have this sprite set I found somewhere, seems to be based on the ghoul from Quake:

I figure these could make a good cannon-fodder-type melee enemy. Maybe have them spawn in groups of 3-5 at once and swarm the player. This is for later though, I have quite a queue of monsters that I want to make.
I am aware of all the great sprites out there, but I don't want to use any zombified humans - I want there to be a clear distinction between the "grunts" and the demonic/undead enemies.
(Plus I like my monsters to have their own sprites, even if it's just a basic recolor with a few extra details.)

I'm working on a more melee inclined grunt right now, the Juicer - he uses a combination of pistol fire and shield bashes and charges, and he's mega aggressive because he's perma-roided. :D
The most effective way to kill it would be with a well-timed power fist, so it should encourage the player to go melee more often as well.

I'll probably make a melee & stealth "assassin" grunt too, at some point.

Edit:
Bump for version 1.3.
I decided to call the Juicer the "Warden" instead, since it ended up being a much more defensive enemy than how I originally planned it. Still, I'm very happy with it.
iSpook

Re: [Add-On] Extra Badass Monster Pack for Project MSX

Post by iSpook »

Just a question, but will you do a 'cold' version of the pain elemental? And any potential for new Boss types? (Obvious 'later' sorta questions, but I felt like sating my curiosity.)
VICE

Post by VICE »

Doom'd Marine wrote:Just a question, but will you do a 'cold' version of the pain elemental?
Good call, I think I will. I'll replace the cold pain elemental's fireballs with smaller versions of the Soul Pyre's blue flame waves too.
And any potential for new Boss types? (Obvious 'later' sorta questions, but I felt like sating my curiosity.)
Well, the Soul Pyre is going to be a mini-boss kind of monster, and I also have an idea for a cyberdemon variant. I'll add that to my todo list.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Ah, I only asked because they could use a version or two that isn't just SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM, that sorta thing.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”