(WIP) The Ultimate Icon Of Sin

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Arch

Re: (WIP) The Ultimate Icon Of Sin

Post by Arch »

Great work, much better than original icon of sin. Am I supposed to jump? I couldn´t get some of the items.
One little bug: when you´re killed by that lightning, the message is "player killed himself".
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

Well if I could sum it up in a few words.

Absolutely freaking satisfying, this is what doom 2 has missed, it now even feels more satisfying just to watch that big badass boss just blow the hell up, it took me a while to beat him, I died a few times while trying.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

The arena could use a bit of work to make it more "oh shit tons of monsters everyone"-friendly. The player is going to be fighting both the Icon and hordes of monsters at the same time, so if there should be one advantage the player has, it should be his mobility. As it stands right now, the Icon has 7.5 times the health of a Cyberdemon. That's way too much, especially if you're playing with vanilla weapons. I suggest either A) keeping his monster summoning ability and lowering his health by quite a bit, which means you can keep the unfavorable terrain as an obstacle so the player can focus on taking out the Icon as fast as possible. Or B) Still lower his health, because it's still high, but have it so you already have monsters that are spawned in and placed on the map. This encourages strategizing on how to take out the enemies at hand and by proxy encouraging repeated run-throughs due to pre-determined enemy layout. This, coupled with giving the Icon visible states of pain and such, would greatly help this fight become amazing.

A final boss in a game should a test of everything the player has learned up to that point. In Doom, your speed and mobility is key, so I feel like option B would be the better choice here.
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

The primary threats of the boss still come not from his attacks but from the hordes of demons he summons and extremely unfavorable terrain(I have falled down in a random pit and rocketed the shit out of myself on at least six occassions). Outside of his "magically drain your HP because I have said so" roar, throughout 7+ attempts, none of his attacks hit me once.

Not bad work overall but this still does not qualify as an "ultimate" boss. Any boss that wins primarily by spamming minions is not a boss but merely a summoner tank.
You can protect yourself from the roar by hiding behind something. If he starts to roar, make a mad dash for the nearest cover and you'll be okay. It's also worth noting that his roar damages his spawns which can actually work in your favor because you can take pot shots at the monsters from behind cover while they're being stun locked.

And yes, I think the arena for the boss fight should be opened up to make the legions of monsters more manageable. Lastly, I understand your point about bosses that rely on mook spam to win, but if you were the Baphomet and you knew a heavily armed space marine had single-handedly fought his way through Hell and was on his way to deliver the coup de grace to you, wouldn't you rely on your ability to summon legions of demons to try and overwhelm him and increase your chances of victory? :P
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is pretty cool :) But a health bar or some indication how much is left to do would be cool.
southpark2010

Post by southpark2010 »

There is, isn't there? I believe I saw one in the Youtube video. I'm unable to test this out at the moment, so I don't know if Sarge removed it or not.
IMX

Post by IMX »

Arch wrote: Am I supposed to jump? I couldn´t get some of the items.
I checked it while having "god" mode on, and yes; the two blue armors are almost unreachable with vanilla settings, and the megasphere is just impossible
Quadruplesword wrote:You can protect yourself from the roar by hiding behind something. If he starts to roar, make a mad dash for the nearest cover and you'll be okay.
Well, every time he started screaming I tried to take cover but those 48HP points kept dissapearing from me :roll: (the initial roar substracts you that exact quantity having full armor and health) Its roar can be felt thru the entirety of the map
ArielBoss

Post by ArielBoss »

Cara, você está realmente de parabéns, realizou meu e o sonho de muitas outras pessoas. :wub:
Alright now, let's begin ... the spirit of the thing is perfect, you gotta it. On the difficulty I do not think that is hard, in fact this very easy :twisted: , after all, you're fighting with satan in person, is not any kind of soldier possessed, is the lord of darkness.
And as someone else had already said, and I agree, it would be better if there was more than one stage the fight, I think the idea to fight with the classical wall and then he would be standing half out of the question, unless you were teleported to another arena, but would be very weird.My idea is this: Many are asking for a larger arena, and I must agree, so why not do by this way,
primarily to fight the way you have conceived, and then you have this all excited about winning "easy" in the middle of the explosion and it starts to move and come up to you in the samsara style. So you could give him the attack archvile and whatever else you have in mind. My idea for this final battle arena would be an open area with a few pillars, imagine that .... perfect :3:
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

Well, every time he started screaming I tried to take cover but those 48HP points kept dissapearing from me :roll: (the initial roar substracts you that exact quantity having full armor and health) Its roar can be felt thru the entirety of the map
Really? The couple times I did this fight, I just ducked behind a wall out of his sight and his roar couldn't hurt me. Dunno what to tell you :?
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Dreams can become reality.

Had to try this:
Spoiler: Caco Gangbangers
And fuck jumping in Doom. So Sarge broke the game now? Grrrreat...
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

And fuck jumping in Doom. So Sarge broke the game now? Grrrreat...
How does an optional mod break the game when you don't have to play it?
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Because he otherwise kept the vanilla intact. Now we need to "break" those rules in order to complete even the vanilla game.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Very little of what you see in that map is possible in vanilla.
Ghostbreed wrote:Now we need to "break" those rules in order to complete even the vanilla game.
You don't need to load the mod at all. :P
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

Guess I'm whining for nothing.
If I need to jump or whatever, then so be it.
:)
ArielBoss

Post by ArielBoss »

Ghostbreed wrote:Guess I'm whining for nothing.
If I need to jump or whatever, then so be it.
:)
But you dont need play :mrgreen:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”