[Request] Icon of Sin Body Complete (only sprite)

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
armyman12345

Re: [Request] Icon of Sin Body Complete (only sprite)

Post by armyman12345 »

Are you going to make a map with the monster? Or is it going to be a replacement? Resource wad?
Blox

Post by Blox »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:It's impossible to directly replace the bossbrain actor due how he is placed (plus the ceiling height in that map is not high enough)
so I am making a whole new MAP30. This replacement will able to replace any map in any megawad.
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

So when is it going to be released?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Kinsie wrote:I always wanted to do a Baphomet that initally looks exactly like the original, but rapidly tears the wall holding it apart, revealing a polygonal body with the wall panel loosely hanging around its neck.
Mark's attempt is really cool, but something about just seems... missing. That's not a knock against his work so far, but given the apparent vast HP, there could possibly be more to be done to shake up the encounter.
The problem is that it takes away what was so unique about the Icon of Sin in the first place.
The thing about it was that it wasn't just another HP sponge. It was different from every other encounter in Doom so far because it wasn't taking any damage. Nothing you did seemed to hurt it, and it kept on spewing out more and more enemies for the player to face. This was Different with a capital D, you actually had to think about how to fight, and that made it so much more intimidating. This was a dude so high above the hierarchy of Hell, so above all of the other lesser demons, that not even rockets in his goddamn eye phased him.

Now, he's been reduced to a generic fight. Just another HP sponge that's fought in the same manner as every other HP sponge, dodge the projectiles and hit M1 a lot in his general direction. The magic of what made him Different is gone.
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

All you did in the fight was flip a switch, go up a elevator and shoot him in the brain until he dies. The fact that his face was a texture takes away all the "magic" in the fight.

P.S: Would satan himself build a elevator so the hero could defeat him?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

TerminusEst13 wrote:The problem is that it takes away what was so unique about the Icon of Sin in the first place.
The thing about it was that it wasn't just another HP sponge. It was different from every other encounter in Doom so far because it wasn't taking any damage. Nothing you did seemed to hurt it, and it kept on spewing out more and more enemies for the player to face. This was Different with a capital D, you actually had to think about how to fight, and that made it so much more intimidating. This was a dude so high above the hierarchy of Hell, so above all of the other lesser demons, that not even rockets in his goddamn eye phased him.
I hear what you say, and I disagree. I always thought that the icon was shit. A real let down. After battling through the corrupt earth and hell I finally reach the end boss: a static wall with a hole in it. And it was so obviously just a wall too. Sure it was a big picture of a demon head but it had no presence. The rest of the game had trained me that sprites were enemies and walls were flat and mostly non-interactive. There was no real feeling of connection between the icon and the projectiles coming out of the gap in its head. There was no feeling of life (or even un-life) about the icon picture. It could be replaced with STARTAN textures and still function in the same way. As for the level it is in and the contrived platform mechanic: dull, ugly, boring.

All IMO of course.
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

Agreed. The only "unique" thing about him is that he's a wall. A crappy unique aspect, but still unique nonetheless.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'd suggest putting the monster much further away (he can be all the larger to compensate) so that he looks less billboardy.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

If anyone wants a fighting wall, here you go (hehe):
Icon of Sin boss fight link
Gate Watcher boss fight link
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Heh, I remember those. Not in a good way, mind you. :P

Maybe an idea that could be tried: have the Icon collapse after a certain amount of damage and then fire at the head to properly damage it. You'd probably need different actors for the head and body, but I think it's a decent idea that'll satisfy both parties.
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

How about the normal icon of sin fight? But when you defeat it a text screen shows up.

"You fool! You thought you could defeat me! Taste the true power of hell!"

Then, it warps you to map 99.I know it doesn't exist but sarge could make it exist.

Then that map mark made happens.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

But then you won't have replaced the shitty original.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I found something interesting.
Spoiler:
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Here are some suggestions for making this thing seem more alive.

- Adding a slow blinking animation of his eyes.
- Adding a bit more shading on the protruding and bulging areas for greater 3d effect. As of now it looks REALLY flat.
- Adding more frames to his mouth opening/closing animation
- He needs another set of sprites that are slightly tilted to allow greater perspective when viewing him from the sides.
- More sound effects for all his body motions (Air cutting sounds made when he moves his huge limbs)

Background ambience suggestions:

- There is too much Red color (its becoming a recurring cliche in many Doom mods) in this stage and everything looks too light. This kinda makes it boring to look at. A really dark sky and any other color used instead of the excessive red color would really seem more appropriate in my opinion.

- There should be some sound of gongs playing here. In Hexen, one of the biggest charms in the PC version of the Heresiarch stage is the loud Gongs that play in the main sanctuary, setting up the feeling of a grand demonic presence in the place.

- I don't know if its ever possible for rain to take place in Doom but having sound of wind blowing along with a fog would really add well to this stage.
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

Enjay wrote:But then you won't have replaced the shitty original.
That idea is just to satisfy both parties: The wallians and The huginans.
Also, the new ios will appear in map 99

Return to “Requests”