[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Risen - This depends on what you want to rip out. Please make a map shot and mark the areas you want to remove (with numbers) and I consider it!

@Bio - Nice new shot! But... can you give me more Serverinfo on the #NZDR channel?! :)
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Tormentor667 wrote:@Bio - Nice new shot! But... can you give me more Serverinfo on the #NZDR channel?! :)
irc.oftc.net
#notzdoomrelated
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@mephi - Thx :)
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

NiGHTMARE wrote:Risen: ripping out the big, underdetailed areas would be fine, but I don't think you should take out the nice looking areas (i.e. the bits by nmn ;))
Thx :)
Oh yeah, Kirbster hurt my beatiful map very much :grr:
I think I'll flay him.
Last edited by Nmn on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Risen

Post by Risen »

http://twicerisen.ath.cx/dropzone/map.gif
There are rough outlines and may change by a few sectors in practice. For instance, the fan in 2a will probably end up as part of 2b.

1a: This areas does not fit at all.
1b: This area could work, I'll need to move it somewhere else.
2a: It doesn't fit in.
2b: This area has some good parts to it but needs a lot of work. Maybe I can move 1b over to here.
3: Too large. Needs shrunk considerably. Switch puzzle here is annoying.

1b and 2b need a lot of detail work. I'll do what I can. My biggest goal right now is creating a path from beginning to end, as currently none exist.

Bio: Let's get round 2 done first. There needs to be time for all the maps to get updated and we will certainly need a testing period before release, that would be the perfect time for it. I really don't have the time to do it now.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Well.. none of my areas has been highlighted :roll:

But I didn't come here for that.
3rd instalment of da intermission Map:

First, Apetizers:
There, looks more like a crater

Believe...

Now Get Da Thing:
(did I mention someone needs to make nice scripts for this-cameras for different parts and ofcourse-once You get at the Phob Anomaly and Toxin Refinery the sky in the skybox should change to stars-as they are night-time maps)
http://www.nos-sr50.com/wads/inter_3.zip
Risen

Post by Risen »

I'd love to do the scripting for that.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Nmn wrote:
NiGHTMARE wrote:Risen: ripping out the big, underdetailed areas would be fine, but I don't think you should take out the nice looking areas (i.e. the bits by nmn ;))
Thx :)
Oh yeah, Kirbster hurt my beatiful map very much :grr:
I think I'll flay him.
I feel so rejected :cry:

Moving Along....:P
In anycase, feel free to ripout/change any areas of mine, as they are honestly underdone
Da_maniaC

Post by Da_maniaC »

Dude , that is cool. :D

So its gonna have a life size intermission map, with the camera moving throught it as you advance to the next map or something? :D SWEET!
Risen

Post by Risen »

I just had a great idea concerning the intermission area. If we were to construct a few base scripts that collected information as the player went along, we could save these to global variables on exit of the map. Then, the map intermission screen could display them.

It should be possible to determine:
- Time spent in map, not counting cutscenes
- amount of ammo picked up/shot
- combine this with total kills to get an ammo-per-monster stat
- health gained/lost
- armor gained/lost

And, perhaps most interestingly, it can give cumulative stats up to this point for all levels played. When the player finishes M8, they can see how long it took, and the overall stats for the entire episode. If we preserve par times, then after each level, it can tell you how much time you are over or under par. These stats can also be rolled out as part of the end sequence and credits. It could be a very nice touch.

To do this I will need a full time slot. I will also need base scripts placed in each level. I can already think of ways to get most of the information. The biggest difficulty here is the kills/items/secret counts, which ZDoom handles internally. We need to figure out a way to get at them. For secrets we could look into converting every secret into an activatable thing. For the others we may have to look into ThingCount solutions. It would be far better to have these accessible through ACS, however. I'll ask Randy.

If anyone has other suggestions as to what stats we can gather, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

I don't know whether it's possible in ZDoom, but the number of times you died is a common stat in games.
Risen

Post by Risen »

It would be possible, but it may only work in cooperative mode. If you reload a savegame, all the data is reverted. Not a problem, I'll set that stat to only show if playercount > 1.

We also need a way to tell who killed who and how many times. Any ideas on that one? Can special actions be assigned to players?

The other nice feature this can add is that it can be changed so that players opt to go to the next level, then when all players have signaled they are ready it moves on. No more skipping the stats accidentally.

Torm: If you like this idea, we need to allocate the time for it. I can't do both this and a map at the same time. I have some great ideas for the camera effects and stat screens. I'll definitely need an entire week. You could possibly let leha have M1 two weeks in a row.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Risen - Considering your great ideas for that, I'm ok with it :) You do the "special intermission stuff" in your week and cccp_leha gets another week for Map01 :)

@NMN - Great work but I think you could make the line, where brown goes into gray more natural. For not it looks a bit odd :) But everything else is HOT!!!!

@Risen(2) - RipOut: Well, I am ok with 1a and 1b, no problem overall and I also would be ok with the other 3 parts to be removed if you place other new areas into their locations, I think if you leave them out, the mao won't make much sense anymore ...
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

While you're here torm, how long till this is done?
Risen

Post by Risen »

Tormentor667 wrote:@Risen - Considering your great ideas for that, I'm ok with it :) You do the "special intermission stuff" in your week and cccp_leha gets another week for Map01 :)
Great! I look forward to it.
Tormentor667 wrote:@Risen(2) - RipOut: Well, I am ok with 1a and 1b, no problem overall and I also would be ok with the other 3 parts to be removed if you place other new areas into their locations, I think if you leave them out, the mao won't make much sense anymore ...
Yes, makes sense. I don't think you'll be disappointed with my plan for this.
Tormentor667 wrote:@NMN - Great work but I think you could make the line, where brown goes into gray more natural. For not it looks a bit odd :) But everything else is HOT!!!!
I agree, great stuff! You can keep working on this for now, I'll pick it up once we get to Week 2. Other things to consider, perhaps scaling the whole thing up would make for better detail? Do the nighttime versions, with lights blinking and stuff. Make it activatable by scripting. You can even do transitions bewteen day and night if you'd like to. If you don't have time, I'll be trying to do this in Week 2.

Cutman: We don't know for sure. Right now, I'd say to expect a month.

Return to “Levels”