Silent Hill Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jinal

Re: Silent Hill Doom

Post by Jinal »

I was actually thinking of a story that a woman graduated from college, she went to Europe for a entire year and after that she went home to her home town where she grew up at which is Silent Hill for a family reunion but once she get's there things are not what it seems to be....

Oh wait...looks like I'm stealing some of the plot from Gone Home but oh well, I think some of the plot can be altered around though.

Of course the protagonist would look something like this (consider these as "Concept art designs").

http://pererix.deviantart.com/art/The-a ... -134730446

http://xsunnycloudx.deviantart.com/art/ ... -172791601

Well you know, a leather jacket, jeans, well a casual appearance, maybe the protagonist could have dark hair too unlike Heather who is blonde.

Also I notice that from all entirety of the Silent Hill series, it has only one female protagonist while the rest are dudebros which is annoying actually, Silent Hill could have had potential exploring different types of female protagonists but the only one we got though was a whiny teenager to be honest and I hope the female protagonist in this game would be a adult and more mature actually or maybe she could be the same age as the male protagonists in the games (middle age sort of thing). Of course another thing too I noticed that we never really had a protagonist who was actually from Silent Hill or grew up there but went/moved away but decided to come back for old memories sake but finds the town not what they expected it to be. I think playing as a former resident of Silent Hill would be interesting which she could remember things from her childhood that she remember going "I remember this was here" or something like that.
ArnoldtheGov

Post by ArnoldtheGov »

Hello, I saw your fan based project when floating around on the threads. I'll start out by stating that I absolutely love horror based video game wads/mods. In my spare time I love writing and mustering up new ideas. Your project caught my attention when I saw that your seeking a backstory for your idea. I would love to contribute to your project, and I have a few songs that would capture the entire atmosphere of a Silent Hill based wad.

Now, with that being said, I was always drawn towards my idea of a lonely individual who worked countless nights on second shift. The individual dreams of becoming a famous writer one day, but his ideas are suppressed with his everyday struggle in modern society. He basically hates his life to the point where his fantasy converges with his reality unintentionally (And no, I'm not proposing Alan Wake here. I was mildly disappointed with that storyline.) He yearns for an escape from this life, so he receives a phone call at the end of his shift. The voice is a supernatural prerecorded advertisement for an invitation to Silent Hill, where lonely souls seek refuge from their repetitious lifestyle. Before leaving, he takes an empty log book, where he foretells his experiences with a pen and paper. Are the monsters he's fighting actually real, or are they just creations of his own inside his head? The player finds pages from his lost diary (reminiscent of how you find the pages from Unloved 2) as the game progresses. His demons are created from his self hatred for society.

Also, here are a list of songs that would fit in a horror based Silent Hill wad. It captures the atmosphere perfectly IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2zN50JpCNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srJYQESO34g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvtYSJnm7Lc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yppksBz-JuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhGTsTa8z14

Please don't let this project die. I've seen many great projects and ideas plundered into development hell. There are not enough horror wads/mod for DooM out there (let alone intensive story based wad). After I'm done with my projects, I'll be more than willing to help you out with yours.
zygo

Post by zygo »

Jinal wrote:Well you know, a leather jacket, jeans, well a casual appearance, maybe the protagonist could have dark hair too unlike Heather who is blonde.
Sounds good, i find that blondes are far to stereotypical when it comes to games and hollywood, so a brunette would be a good change 8-)
Jinal wrote:Also I notice that from all entirety of the Silent Hill series, it has only one female protagonist while the rest are dudebros which is annoying actually, Silent Hill could have had potential exploring different types of female protagonists but the only one we got though was a whiny teenager to be honest and I hope the female protagonist in this game would be a adult and more mature actually or maybe she could be the same age as the male protagonists in the games (middle age sort of thing).
Character development would playa role in the game, like it did for laura croft in the new tomb raider. she'l be sensitive to begin with but gradually get stronger an less emotional and scared.
Jinal wrote:Of course another thing too I noticed that we never really had a protagonist who was actually from Silent Hill or grew up there but went/moved away but decided to come back for old memories sake but finds the town not what they expected it to be. I think playing as a former resident of Silent Hill would be interesting which she could remember things from her childhood that she remember going "I remember this was here" or something like that.
Sounds different thats for sure. With a solid back story i could be convinced to stick to that idea.
DaFker666

Post by DaFker666 »

As long as the story/monsters won't be overdone, a female protagonist can be alright. Heh, I thought it would be like the Doomguy would come back to Earth and he'd have flashbacks about fighting with demons, and he'd need to fight more uglier versions of these, together with new ones.

Also, when I've read the symbolisms of the monsters in Silent Hill 3, my face almost got disfigured by the confusion and disgust. Of course I am not sure if those are official symbolisms or not, but if you wonder what are those symbolisms about, then go to Silent Hill wiki and read them. Slurper symbolisms is by the far most strangest one.
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

zygo wrote:Character development would playa role in the game, like it did for laura croft in the new tomb raider. she'l be sensitive to begin with but gradually get stronger an less emotional and scared.
Actually that would be sexist, what's with male writers making female protagonists weak and vulnerable as if they're victims which they use that to "make them stronger", that bullshit as well.

Actually the right thing to do is to present her just the same as the male protagonists (well stoic but feelings of fear and dread and being cautious at the same time) and her first encounter with a monster would be "Holy Fucking Shit..." and then she kills it with self defense and says or rather thinks "There's defiantly something not right with this town, I need to not let my guard down" and then game plays normally like a silent hill game.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

jinal has a point. I think it would be cool if instead you had the player start off really angry and stuff but as the game goes on she accepts that it's okay to accept help and not do everything on your own or something.
DaFker666

Post by DaFker666 »

The same thing would happen to a man too, Jinal, in my opinion it's not sexist. It is obvious that you will be afraid of a monster when you firstly see it, but then get used to it later, there is no problem with that. Also it's kind of obvious that women are not as strong as men are and they have worse fighting performance than men.

Just leave it as it is, the same behavior applies to both genders, there shouldn't be anything sexist about that.
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:I think it would be cool if instead you had the player start off really angry and stuff but as the game goes on she accepts that it's okay to accept help and not do everything on your own or something.
Not even that since I"m also tired of this recent trend of angry/irate protagonists which is not only a major turn off but also makes the protagonist irritating and unlikable as well. Also for a calm moody setting like Silent Hill it destroys ruins it as well.

Might as well have the protagonist be calm and stoic throughout the entire game.
DaFker666 wrote:The same thing would happen to a man too, Jinal, in my opinion it's not sexist. It is obvious that you will be afraid of a monster when you firstly see it, but then get used to it later, there is no problem with that. Also it's kind of obvious that women are not as strong as men are and they have worse fighting performance than men.

Just leave it as it is, the same behavior applies to both genders, there shouldn't be anything sexist about that.
Your obviously being sexist here. First of all, this is reverse sexism since we've never seen a timid Man breaking down and crying and running and screaming in fear (well the Innocents from Blood are the closest though but that's probably it which they're presented as a joke "screaming like a little girl" though while female characters acting the same way are taken seriously if you ever noticed which shows the deeply predominated/institutional sexism of our society) and also a person with a vagina does not mean they're automatically less strong or have a worse fighting performance than men. Get over it.

Infact the Silent Hill protagonists don't even use they're fists anyways, they use melee weapons and firearms which both of them aren't that hard to use since anyone can swing a lead pipe or the pull the trigger of a gun regardless what their sex is.

In short: It's not that hard doing a female protagonist which they can be exactly the same as a male protagonist but unfortunately though due to rampant sexism everyone's doing it wrong again and again that's what my biggest fear with any game they include a female protagonist especially written by most white male writers and history has shown how 'trustworthy' they can be and they're doomed to repeat it again if not set towards the right direction...
DaFker666

Post by DaFker666 »

If you never seen a man breaking down and crying then just take a look at men that fight in any sort of war. Also I do not get your point about Blood. As much as I remember when I played it, men were still alive and women corpses were hanged around gruesomly massacred, isn't that sexist too?

Everybody knows that women are best in tasks where they need to use brain while men are most of the time best when it comes to doing tasks that need strenght.

Also, damn. I know that both men and women can use firearms, don't blame me for sexism here. I am just trying to make my point.
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

DaFker666 wrote:If you never seen a man breaking down and crying then just take a look at men that fight in any sort of war. Also I do not get your point about Blood. As much as I remember when I played it, men were still alive and women corpses were hanged around gruesomly massacred, isn't that sexist too?
Yet I think your missing the point that this is never portrayed in fiction though also Blood (the FPS game) presents it as a joke not something to be taken seriously.
DaFker666 wrote:Everybody knows that women are best in tasks where they need to use brain while men are most of the time best when it comes to doing tasks that need strenght.
No this is sexist bullshit that capitalist society has indoctrinated you into that you unquestionably believe in.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Jinal wrote:No this is sexist bullshit that capitalist sexism has indoctrinated you into that you unquestionably believe in.
I'll let you continue posting in this thread, but only if you can keep the ad hominem bullcrap to a minimum, alright? Otherwise, kiss your forum access goodbye. Am I making myself clear?
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

wildweasel wrote:
Jinal wrote:No this is sexist bullshit that capitalist sexism has indoctrinated you into that you unquestionably believe in.
I'll let you continue posting in this thread, but only if you can keep the ad hominem bullcrap to a minimum, alright? Otherwise, kiss your forum access goodbye. Am I making myself clear?
Alright I went too far with that one though.
KillianReed

Post by KillianReed »

Well, Jinal was sorta speaking the truth with that last comment. Not that I like where this whole poopstorm was going or anything. DaFker666's statement was kinda based on nothing. But, poop on the whole thing.
DaFker666

Post by DaFker666 »

I am not going to argue with you anymore Jinal, because it feels much like arguing with a feminist. Just go ahead and keep talking about the mod, I will try to not make you mad by the fact that men are stronger than women. :(
Last edited by DaFker666 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Jinal wrote:Alright I went too far with that one though.
Seriously, consider this your "Final Notice." If I see this one more time from you, anywhere, don't expect to return.
KillianReed wrote:Well, Jinal was sorta speaking the truth with that last comment. Not that I like where this whole poopstorm was going or anything. DaFker666's statement was kinda based on nothing. But, poop on the whole thing.
I'd be willing to let the guy keep posting if he didn't try to drag the other users down with him.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”