[v1.0.0] Psychic -- HEY LOOK ITS RELEASED NOW

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: [WIP] Psychic -- Beta #5, now with Raven & Strife!

Post by Xaser »

What do you mean "what happened to [it]"? You say that as if it's gone or something. :P
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

insightguy wrote:I honestly dont get the purpose of the nailgun and the nightmare cannon thingy. And what happened to the blood Blades abilit6? I liked it.:(
The Nailgun gives you extreme burst-damage, even more than the shotgun IIRC. It's also very good underwater, and upgrading the range can allow it to outclass the pistols in a lot of situations. The nightmare, on the other hand, I can't find a niche use for. It does basically the same thing as powered-up steel, and it costs far more power than any psychic attack with similar firepower. Firing it un-charged is completely useless, as well.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

The Nightmare boosts your energy regeneration when you have it out. The charge attack, while expensive, is still a ripper attack that doesn't cost money. In Psycho mode, the projectiles will seek out enemies. I use it all the time.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

It'd be nice if the Nightmare used the zoom or reload key for charging. I feel like that would make it a lot easier to use.
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Not yet commented of this awesome mod? O_o

But I got little grievance about the blood money. Depending on the encounter, you really don't have the time to pick even 50% of the blood money. On megawads, this is not really a problem, since you pretty much max the shit out of everything plus good sum enough to spend for other powerups, (been there, done that.) But on some shorter games, it can be a bit problem, and in the end, you could be in trouble bit.
It's just a little idea, but I thought some power that can either reset their timer on disappearing or increase their staying time, just enough to get bit more money.

Just a note, the Gravity power feels bit... finicky about pushing enemies. Especially when maxed. I would like to push enemies away, not right next to me. :P
And as a side note; Gravity is goddamn awesome against revenant rockets.

Also, are you gonna pick this up again someday? Feels like ages when I've seen last update from this. :P
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

This mod does not go well with Doom, but it feels right at home when using it with Hexen and Heretic. Something about a demon hunter killing monsters in a gothic medieval setting just feels so right. I am wondering though, is there a way to pause the game when accessing the buy menu?
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I still have yet to get around to trying this out, and for this, I am deeply sorry. However, seeing as this is one of the only mods other than my own (secret) project that shoots for multiple-IWAD support, this has my interest from a technical standpoint.

Xaser, Did you happen to happen to find any problems with players being too small in Hexen? It has such a noticably larger game world than most other Doom-engine games, with taller structures, taller players/enemies (both visually and in terms of physics)... for my project, I had to make an add-on patch that replaces every player with a taller version of him/herself in order to compensate for the height difference -- had to do this for Hexen, HacX, and Batman Doom. But I worry I'm taking a sloppy route, and I'd be eager to learn of a smoother approach. If you find yourself in the same boat as me and come up with something to solve it, I'd be so grateful to learn your methods.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

All I did was cheaply change the player's jump height, since I know for sure that's higher in Hexen. Seemed pretty comfortable in my last playthrough, for whatever reason, though I'm not too bothered by the shortiness for whatever reason. Sorry I can't help much. :(

Sometimes I do wish you could change properties per-game other than DoomEdNums. Could be handy for stuff like this.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Welp, the jump height is the only thing that really affects gameplay. The rest is essentially cosmetic (though I guess one can argue either way for how Viewheight affects things), so I guess the higher priorities are handled. Oh well, I guess I'll ride my jury-rigged solution until something smoother becomes possible. It's happened before. :)
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Not sure if this constitutes a bump, but I figured I'd report in about this neat little trick I found with Gravity once you've upgraded it to level 3. Not sure if it works with lower levels of the power, but whatever. If you run forward with the waves and jump with good timing, you'll get thrown backward a huge distance. Could be used to cross long chasms or something.

On that same note, I suggest that the power could be tweaked a bit so that if you shoot it so that it hits something right next to you, say, at your feet, it throws you away. Non-damaging rocket jumping, anyone? It'd give a lot more usage to a power that, as far as I can see, really isn't too terribly useful until you've fully upgraded it, and even then it's only good to pretend you're the Dragonborn and just toss everyone around willy nilly.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

twinkieman93 wrote:Not sure if this constitutes a bump, but I figured I'd report in about this neat little trick I found with Gravity once you've upgraded it to level 3. Not sure if it works with lower levels of the power, but whatever. If you run forward with the waves and jump with good timing, you'll get thrown backward a huge distance. Could be used to cross long chasms or something.

On that same note, I suggest that the power could be tweaked a bit so that if you shoot it so that it hits something right next to you, say, at your feet, it throws you away. Non-damaging rocket jumping, anyone? It'd give a lot more usage to a power that, as far as I can see, really isn't too terribly useful until you've fully upgraded it, and even then it's only good to pretend you're the Dragonborn and just toss everyone around willy nilly.
Gravity does quite well in enclosed spaces and/or against large enemies, where you can crush them against the wall, and the missile deflection is useful in situations where you can't dodge as well as you'd like. It's a very inexpensive ability that can be surprisingly powerful in the early stages of the game and remains fairly useful in the lategame.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Funky Gnoll wrote:
twinkieman93 wrote:Not sure if this constitutes a bump, but I figured I'd report in about this neat little trick I found with Gravity once you've upgraded it to level 3. Not sure if it works with lower levels of the power, but whatever. If you run forward with the waves and jump with good timing, you'll get thrown backward a huge distance. Could be used to cross long chasms or something.

Gravity does quite well in enclosed spaces and/or against large enemies, where you can crush them against the wall, and the missile deflection is useful in situations where you can't dodge as well as you'd like. It's a very inexpensive ability that can be surprisingly powerful in the early stages of the game and remains fairly useful in the lategame.
While that's true, it doesn't seem to do much of anything until you've fully upgraded it. I don't know if I'm using it wrong or if it's just bugged, but all it seems to do for me is stun an enemy while it's flying through it, not really moving it anywhere at all.

EDIT: Speaking of bugs, you can be telefragged by your own flames, whether they be of the normal or overcharged variety. It was pretty funny when my friend was dicking around with all the powers in the start room of MAP30 and then he went through the teleporter raring to go and immediately died. :P
cool2000m

Post by cool2000m »

the drdteam website downloads are down unfortunately...
KingShinra

Post by KingShinra »

PermaNoob wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:I'm going to stab each and every one of you people for getting my hopes up about an update on the project when it's just a couple of impatient bozos bumping the thread.
Stop posting and start lurking

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

On the bright side, I get to play a Xaser project. This should be sweet.

EDIT: Not on the backup thread. Would love to try it out.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”