[WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn (Halted)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CeeJay

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Post by CeeJay »

http://www.brlowe.co.uk/SporbsHighResol ... rePack.rar

These weapon sprites may or may not be useful. They are quite cartoony (but have great animation) but I find they somewhat fit the Nitemare 3D style. Or I could be wrong. Would be nice to see them put to use none the less.
Nash

Post by Nash »

1) You make customized variants of the HUD border graphics for 16:9 and another for 16:10, then in the SBARINFO, you can specify different aspect ratio blocks (see [wiki]SBARINFO[/wiki] for more details). The downside to this is that it's not 100% future proof, if 5-10 years later another aspect ratio gets added... or if for some crazy reason someone is playing your mod on a 3-monitor setup.

2) You write ACS functions that calculate the screen's left and right edges, and position the gargoyle status pieces using HudMessage instead of SBARINFO. Totally doable, but this depends on if you want to mess with ACS or not.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Nash wrote:1) You make customized variants of the HUD border graphics for 16:9 and another for 16:10, then in the SBARINFO, you can specify different aspect ratio blocks (see [wiki]SBARINFO[/wiki] for more details). The downside to this is that it's not 100% future proof, if 5-10 years later another aspect ratio gets added... or if for some crazy reason someone is playing your mod on a 3-monitor setup.
So it can be scripted to draw a different image depending upon the ratio of the resolution. I actually had the frame be part of the SBar, offset to be in the correct position. If I can set a different image to the ratios, I can add graphics information to the sides of the SBar and lengthen the frame to be switched to. I see there's a AspectRatio <ratio> command to do just that. Guess that'll be the next thing I'll work on.

16:9 and 16:10 support have been added;

Thought I'd make the empty space on the bottom more festive with Gargoyle statues.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Promising :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Awesome!
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I've been distracted with other things, but I'm starting to add more enemies, starting with the man in green with the pistol and the black robed witch.

I thought it would be more interesting and fitting to the animation if the witch shot a fireball instead of a hitscan. I'll probably change the graphic in the future.
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Looks very good. Keep it up. I'm waiting for the entire episode.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Caleb26 wrote:Looks very good. Keep it up. I'm waiting for the entire episode.
Making complete levels will probably be saved for last until I get all of the mechanics working. I doubt I'll even keep this level design since it's meant as more of a showcase.

Anyone remember this? It's the turret gun from the 7th level. It tears you to shreds if you don't put the block infront of it.

I don't currently know any way to utilize the behaviors of the eye ball or crystal ball since automapping on the statbar isn't a supported feature, yet, but I did manage to get them as inventory items that don't do anything but fill up bars. Always good to have the appearance of a completed statbar, if nothing else.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

wow i remember this game, this was soo fun. cant wait to see this recreated. id really like to see catacombs 3d remade but... one step at a time.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I added some things like the rest of the basic enemies (I only left out Dr.Hammerstein and the Dracula Puzzle enemy), some basic form of other areas in the other episodes and sort of made a dimensional effect based on E3M1 where Hugo steps into that other dimension. That a starry sort of traveling through outer space transition would look cooler. Look at the initial post in the thread for footage and download. Guess all that's left to do is make levels. You guys think I should go for a reimagining of the original levels?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

With some ACS work, you could have it so the eyeball and crystal ball meters act as time-based Allmap and Scanner powerups, respectively. You'd have to be viewing the actual automap to see the effects, of course, but it's something.

As for reimagining the original levels, I say definitely not. If you're taking the time to port the mechanics to another game, you ought to do something new with the resources rather than focusing your efforts on what will end up being an inaccurate facsimile of the original game. Going the route of Return of the Triad and revamping the mapping side of things is the way to go, since that's the biggest thing you're gaining by porting things over to the Doom engine. That mod is probably the best example of this, since it captures the original game's feel pretty much perfectly while introducing some slick new mapping. Damn good stuff, that.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Spoiler:
What do you guys think of my efforts to modelize the weapons?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

They look magnificently uncomfortable to hold, but I find no fault with accuracy to the source media. =P
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

wildweasel wrote:They look magnificently uncomfortable to hold, but I find no fault with accuracy to the source media. =P
Unless you've got a mutant arm growing out of your chest.

Ethril

Post by Ethril »

MetroidJunkie wrote:Unless you've got a mutant arm growing out of your chest.
I think he was referring more to the extraordinarily unergonomic grips than the placement of the arm.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”