[WIP] Unheil - A Wolfenstein inspired conversion

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Unheil - A Wolfenstein inspired conversion

Post by Ed the Bat »

Mav3rick wrote:But why i do need to constantly be clicking the reload buttom to add shells to the shotgun :/
You don't.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Ed the Bat wrote: You don't.
yes i have to...
it will no reload all the shells, only 1 at the time :? wich make it weird
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I have so far been unable to reproduce the problem you report.
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

Ditto; holding reload to load multiple shells works fine for me.
This shows great promise! Just a couple mapping concerns.
I noticed this happens a lot in the first map. I think you could fix this if the map was in UDMF format, but not in regular 'ol doom format.
The grate I'm pointing to here is mistakenly (or counter-intuitively) marked as a damaging sector.
In the second map, should I be able to jump through these bars to reach this room with a teleporter and a plasma rifle?? Probably not, I'm guessing
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Gamefreakdude: Thanks for bringing all of that to my attention!

I never noticed the first problem, I mainly test with GZdoom. The only way I know how to fix it is to delete a few sectors and re-create the surrounding area. Fixed it by editing the texture itself. I've never used UDMF, the one time I opened it, I felt a bit intimidated and had too many ideas I wanted to put down quickly.

The metal floor was added last minute and I forgot to turn off nukedamage, I noticed it while testing and forgot about it afterward.

As far as anything in the second map, nothing is finished, polished, or anything. A whole of about five hours has been spent on that map, so once I get my monster situation in order, I'll continue mapping. I plan to make a secret teleporter that ends up in that room with the plasma rifle. To be honest I don't remember if those bars are passable or not.

Thanks again for the thorough testing! I will update the link with fixes tomorrow, assuming it all goes smoothly. If you or anyone else feels like adding to the second map, you are more than welcome.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Yup i have to keep holding reload buttom to load full... didnt know people keep reload push ¬¬
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Mav3rick wrote:Yup i have to keep holding reload buttom to load full... didnt know people keep reload push ¬¬
...that's how shotguns reload in most videogames. In fact, this one reloads so fast, you'd have to actually make an effort to release the reload key fast enough to put in only one shell. :|
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ed the Bat wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:Yup i have to keep holding reload buttom to load full... didnt know people keep reload push ¬¬
...that's how shotguns reload in most videogames. In fact, this one reloads so fast, you'd have to actually make an effort to release the reload key fast enough to put in only one shell. :|
I think you might be thinking the opposite; no commercial video games come to mind where reloading is handled like this. Most games that have shotguns - Half-Life, Far Cry 3, R6 Vegas 2, CoD: Black Ops (just to name a few) all have the behavior of having the weapon start a reload loop with just one push of the Reload key, and if the player wants to stop the reload for any reason, they must click the Fire button (or, in some cases, the aim-down-sight button, melee button, etc). A reload system like this is actually an oddity compared to that.

That said, I like the "hold to reload" function; it simplifies interruption of the reload and prevents accidental firing of it if the reload needs to be interrupted. =P
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

wildweasel wrote:...having the weapon start a reload loop...
...I guess you're right. I could've sworn I'd played some using hold-to-reload, but I'm drawing a blank on what it was. Might have been non-commercial, anyway...

As far as working in DECORATE, this was the simplest way to make it interruptable, and it made the most sense to me, since everything else works that way. To keep reloading, keep holding the reload key. To keep firing, hold down the fire button. To keep walking, hold down the walk key. It just made sense to me.

Of course, if the auto-reload is started by the dry-fire sequence, that will only be a single shell unless the player immediately goes for the reload key. I didn't bother to put in a second layer of code where holding the fire button would repeat the reload, though I suppose I could've done that without too much effort. I'm just glad Lippeth wanted an automatic reload upon dryfire, because I really hate when games don't have that. Firing like mad in a panic, only to have my mag run out before I realize how empty it was, and I waste up to a good second clicking an empty gun at enemies before my feeble mind tells me to stop hitting 'shoot' and move over to 'reload', where my gun could've automatically reloaded itself by that time... ugh, not what I want in a clinch.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

so im right yet not right? damn this is crazy but over all is a good mood ^_^ keep the good work mate!

and thanks Ed and Weasel for take some time into that especific point :)
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

This wad is updated with a few fixes only, and for those who never tried, this wad works gracefully with Weasel's Nazis V2. A part of me just wants to drop this project and make maps for Weasel's mod.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Lippeth wrote:This wad is updated with a few fixes only, and for those who never tried, this wad works gracefully with Weasel's Nazis V2. A part of me just wants to drop this project and make maps for Weasel's mod.
Now that, I would not mind. =P
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

i just tried it with nazis v2 it does run gracefully great job. man
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice mapset, I like the weapons too. I especially enjoyed the crate of Panzerfausts, I thought that was a clever RL replacement. :P
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

Lippeth wrote:This wad is updated with a few fixes only, and for those who never tried, this wad works gracefully with Weasel's Nazis V2. A part of me just wants to drop this project and make maps for Weasel's mod.
If you actually do this I would strongly suggest keeping your Mauser sprites and using them to add a reloading Mauser to Nazis.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”