Hell To Pay 2.0/Perdition's Gate ZDoom patches

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Hell To Pay 2.0/Perdition's Gate ZDoom patches

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

A while back I got around to making ZDoom based patches based on these two Wraith wads using some of the more base features to give them more of an independent feel to them.

While Perdition's Gate came out ok, I was left unsatisfied with the results of Hell To Pay, which still had many problems with it. Recent suggestions encouraged me to fix up the patch and now I release it to those lucky enough to have the wads themselves. I hope that it provides some useful addition to the experience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bk4oh9xck36p89b

---------------------------------------------------------------------

List of features by Patch:

Perdition's Gate:

-Level names are now written in DECORATE, allowing them to be seen on the map and intermission screens.

-Some level names have been changed to not sound so redundant from their originals.

-New text intermissions at every episode interval to give background to the story of the game.
-Some music order has been changed for presentation purposes.

Notes: Honestly, PG is a very basic patch since the wad is similar to Plutonia and TNT. Most of the changes were implemented in Hell To Pay.

Hell To Pay:

-Like PG, all Maps have been given there original names for AutoMap and Intermissions.

-DECORATE for maps 15,31, and 32 have been edited for a more set
level structure since this is how it was designed anyway.

-All story text graphics inbetween levels (originally replacements
for map names) have been replaced with much easier to read text
screens. (It's unfortunate as I was unable to find a way to salvage
those graphics because some of them are really neat to look at).

-Fixed wall decal issues with the BFG equivalent.

-Fixed blood colors for new monsters and originals.

-Fixed the sound effects for Active and Pain sounds for various
monsters.

-Fixed Rocket Launcher firing sprites (originally misaligned).
Last edited by BlueFireZ88 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueFireZ88

Re: Hell To Pay 2.0/Perdition's Gate ZDoom patches

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

New Hell To Pay 2.1 patch available! Minor bug fixes and obituaries.
Average

Post by Average »

Just wanted to say thanks. :)
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Just fixed an issue with the first intermission screen. Sorry about that.
P41R47

Post by P41R47 »

Hi, BlueFireZ88! I love your Hell2Pay and Perdition's Gate patches. This patches really make those magnificent wads more enjoyable in newer source ports. I love to play Hell2Pay with FreeDooM Phase 2, transforming the original wad in something similar to a total conversion. Well, after replaying it, i found a minor problem: in the level 32 ''Self-Destruct'''' the exit switch is in the starting room surrounded by a force field. Well i doesn't try it in Pro-Boom Plus, but in GZDoom, the switch, can be pressed after just starting the level. Maybe its a good idea to enlarge a little the area of the force field surrounding it, making the switch inoperable. Just a sugestion to make this wads more enjoyables. Also, i noticed that proBoom displayed the intermission screen properly, will it be much trouble to screenshot them and add them to the patch?
Sorry if i bother. Have a nice day, pal! See ya!
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Didn't expect to hear from this thread every again.

In regards to your issue with MAP32. I tried playing the wad and patch with the most up to date version of GZDOOM (Version 3.7.2) and I wasn't able to get to the exit switch without killing all of the necessary enemies. I would be sure you try it again with an updated version first as the patch I made doesn't tamper with any of the levels.

I did notice an error with the first intermission as all intermissions are now supposed to display a starry sky, and I reposted the patches with the fix below. The intermissions were reworked in the patch as the originals never displayed right. The level end text would have been covered by the level stats, and the next screen would have just shown the end text for the end of the next level. I changed them to normal intermissions with a simple background to give a much more clean and simple presentation.

I hope this answers some of your questions, thanks for playing!
Attachments
HTP2_1-PG ZDoom Patches.zip
(192.71 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
P41R47

Post by P41R47 »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:Didn't expect to hear from this thread every again.

In regards to your issue with MAP32. I tried playing the wad and patch with the most up to date version of GZDOOM (Version 3.7.2) and I wasn't able to get to the exit switch without killing all of the necessary enemies. I would be sure you try it again with an updated version first as the patch I made doesn't tamper with any of the levels.

I did notice an error with the first intermission as all intermissions are now supposed to display a starry sky, and I reposted the patches with the fix below. The intermissions were reworked in the patch as the originals never displayed right. The level end text would have been covered by the level stats, and the next screen would have just shown the end text for the end of the next level. I changed them to normal intermissions with a simple background to give a much more clean and simple presentation.

I hope this answers some of your questions, thanks for playing!
Thanks for the answer, BlueFire! And its true, in GZDoom 3.7.2 that little bug i mentioned doesn't happend at all.

But what i tell about the intermissions screens is that there is a way to save the original intermission art. GZDOOM can't properly display the intermission screens so you made the patch with a new way to, at least, save the story text. But shamesly, we lost the art in the process.
I thik that there is a way to save them.

Using a port that is vanilla acurrate, like chocolate or crispy doom or proboom plus, we can screenshot the intermissions screen and then add them to your patch (with a little tinkering in photoshop make the level completion results dissapeard), that way, we can have almost the same experience as the autors of this mega partial conversion intended in the modern port we all love. Other way around was to manually search for every image in the wad and place them in the end level result screen that you do, this way is the most easy one, but i can't seem to make them display the proper color after loading them in gzdoom, if you know something about that you can guide me a little.
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

@BlueFireZ88, thank you for your work on these wads. Re-visiting old classics is always fun. I made a slight addition. I re-did your WIF and WIENTER graphics in the original font. I also edited one patch from Perdition's Gate, TMCON21. It was one pixel taller than the other three in the animation, so it would bounce every fourth frame. It was driving me nuts.
HTP-PG-fix-eh.wad
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Now if I could find a way to read/convert the old Dehacked 2.0 compiled deh files, I'd be a happy man.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

I've never played PG before and I'm a bit confused. When I play PG without this addon, it displays short stories (CWILVxx patches) on each exit screen, see the screenshot below. When I use the addon, they're gone and the red PG background is replaced with the standard "melting skulls" one. The addon moved the story to the scripted intermission messages and deliberately suppresses the original ones? Or is there some way to preserve both?

And why PG comes with two almost identical files PG-RAW.WAD and PG-RAW-X.WAD? I found a few threads that touched it, but no real explanation.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”