BorderDoom: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (update 1.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay

Post by Captain J »

awesome thread deserves awesome bookmarks.
and that's what i'm doin' ;)
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

@The Thing Thing
Don't expect too many new graphics as I'm not very good with this and I'm no big fan of ripping stuff from other games. I'm thinking about new weapons however I currently have no plans for new monsters.

@Blox
That's true, you could however just pick a shotgun with higher accuracy if you don't like it. And this is something that still might change in the future when I'll try to balance things out.

@Whiteace + Valherran
My current plans are to make this mod usable on as many Doom maps as possible. So I don't like the idea to tailor this to a small set of levels. I'd say just pick a map with big outdoor areas to get more Borderlands feeling in that respect ;)
However I thought about some kind of hub level before where the player can enter previously finished levels. This would however not work well with custom WADs as I have no idea how to find out which level comes after another from script only.

@Captain J
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Holy, that looks awesome!
Some questions though:
- Will there be a prefix/suffix system stuff like in borderlands? Some weapons could also get translations, like the material system in borderlands.
- What's the algorithm you use to determine the number of monsters to kill for the shop?
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Thank you :)
Each weapon will have randomly determined stats. I think it can be compared to how stats are generated in Borderlands - after all I took the idea from it ;) That means a weapon picks from a pool of existing properties where a property might give more damage but reduces precision (for example). But don't count on having prefixes/suffixes as real names on the weapons. This might be added at some point in the future, but currently I'm not sure this is doable - at least without much extra work.
Oh and by translations I think you mean different colours for different properties? I'm currently not sure this works within my system. I already thought about this and will be looking into it later :)

The "algorithm" is really quite simple ;) Check how many monsters have already been killed. If more than 50% are killed "open" the shop :) This however is only true if there are no "special items" like blue armor etc in the map. If these exist one or more shops will be randomly placed in the map at some special item's position directly after the map has started. This might have been a bit unclear in the video but I like the idea ;) There are also more shops if there is a huge number of enemies - this way I hope the shop system will work even on really big maps with ~500 monsters.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

• Do you have a roadmap for development of the mod?
  • Will it include a campaign of its own?
  • How do you plan to expand the concept in order to differentiate it from the gameplay of Borderlands 2?
  • Will there be quick-throw grenades and grenade mods?
  • Will action skills be implemented? Will more than one be accessible to a player at any one time?
  • Will there be stronger versions of monsters at higher levels? What about Boss-type and Mini-Boss type variations?
  • How many types of weapons will be implemented, and what will they be?
Suggestion :

Make weapon pickups into weapon chests (Uncommon-Rare), Soulsphere pickups into class mod/grenade mod chests, (Uncommon-Legendary) Blue Armor pickups into shield chests (Uncommon-Legendary) and 25% Health Pickups into Misc Chests (Common-Legendary, and with a very heavy leaning towards Common loot) I can see the Trader replacing the Soul Spheres and Blue Armors to be potentially problematic, considering that they tend to be shoved into tiny areas as secrets. I would suggest instead sticking to making the player start area and any auto-save points into "trader" drop zones. Armor Shards, Pills and Stimpacks can be turned into health syringes and instant shield rechargers.

I also would like to see melee weapon drops too. That is quite a real missed opportunity for Borderlands 2.
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

Bookmarked.
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

I'd assume this is true random generation, Borderlands just has thousands of guns that the game can choose from.
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

BradmanX wrote:I'd assume this is true random generation, Borderlands just has thousands of guns that the game can choose from.
I just wanted to throw this one out there, as I have played BL2 extensively myself. Why did I stop? The gameplay focused way too much on the value of loot, made the experience very dependent upon it. It felt as if you were forced to farm guns and check every vending machine and it slowed down gameplay momentum to a near halt. Just my two cents what its worth.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

As Alucard from Symphony of the Night would say, "I'm interested in this."
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Lippeth wrote:As Alucard from Symphony of the Night would say, "I'm interested in this."
and dracula gonna say;

'BUT ENOUGH TALK, I'LL HAVE AT THIS!'
i played. :lol:
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

Weapons with low power and/or accuracy will consume more ammo to do the same amount of damage; it's a problem since in basic Doom, ammo is limited by what can be found in map. An unlucky player who only finds weapons that do less-than-average damage-by-shot is guaranteed to run out. Possible ways around it are :
- Ammo in shop, bad for many reasons and low-power weapons still feel bad because they cost more to use.
- Unlimited ammo. It works very well in Coopbuildm, so why not ?
- Replenishing ammo. Difficult to balance, it's either too low or practically identical to infinite, so just go for infinite.
- Each individual weapon has its own ammo counter - ie if you use a fast low-power plasma rifle with 300/300 cells, it doesn't eat the ammo of your slow high-damage plasma rifle that has 20/50. It can solve the issue because dropped weapons are proportional to enemy population, so you'll always have bad weapons to use up. But then a 4-shell pickup is still 2x more useful on a shotgun that does double damage...
- My favorite : All weapons draw from the money counter directly : Cost per shot is a stat of the weapon, balanced with the expected damage-by-shot of the weapon, taking imprecision into account (ie if a perfect bullet costs 10, a very inaccurate bullet of same power may cost 2). You can then replace all ammo drops from the map into money pickups.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I'd probably just go with buying ammo like Borderlands did. Or maybe you could make ammo respawn/drop consistently from most enemies?
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

-Ghost- wrote:drop consistently from most enemies?
that sound most usefull so far
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

WOW!!! This looks amazing and I couldnt even imagine how hard it was to code everything.

I really hope you do not lose interest in this and stop making it because this truely looks epic.

Good work so far, hope to see more progress =]
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

-Ghost- wrote:I'd probably just go with buying ammo like Borderlands did. Or maybe you could make ammo respawn/drop consistently from most enemies?
He could increase likelihood of a monster dropping ammo when player's stores are critically low, otherwise it drops at a lower rate. Maybe ammo spawns in map could be scaled according to how many monsters there are, and of which types? But we're getting things a lot more complicated there.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”