[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
VICE

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by VICE »

zrrion the insect wrote:The tentacle things on the bottom are kind cool, if a bit odd, other than that it looks awesome.
Those are the same mechanical arm straps from the vanilla BFG sprite, just colored black. And thanks, that flamethrower looks really good too!

zrrion the insect wrote:Some sort of nailgun-flamethrower hybrid.
That would be pretty cool and reminiscent of the Painkiller weapons (shurikens and lightning!). Maybe make it shoot red-hot, fuel soaked nails that flame up as they pass through the lighter. I'd autoload that.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

still, flame thrower is fits more to me.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Megaherz wrote:Maybe make it shoot red-hot, fuel soaked nails that flame up as they pass through the lighter. I'd autoload that.
I agree that it fits better as a flamethrower, but definitely agreed with this. Superheated nails would be pretty nice.
Orka

Post by Orka »

Hi!I'm still a beginner, but recently I made a picture. Hope is good.
(Sorry for the grammatical errors, but I'm Hungarian. :) )
Attachments
This is a chaingun guy with the chaingun from HANS grosse.
This is a chaingun guy with the chaingun from HANS grosse.
Nazi guard body+Marine legs+Shotgun guy head=???
Nazi guard body+Marine legs+Shotgun guy head=???
edits1.PNG (12.84 KiB) Viewed 783 times
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

Hey dudes who are actually good at this stuff, gimme some feedback on this thing I concocted.
Unnamed monster
Unnamed monster
HLGDA1 resized.png (4.81 KiB) Viewed 663 times
In my quest to have new monsters that don't look like direct copies of existing Doom monsters, I got the idea to fusion-ha the Hell Warrior and the Cybruiser into a new sprite to distance their obvious ties to the Hell Knight/BoH. The result so far is this. I'll be coming up with my own behavior for the monster when the sprites are done, but before I go doing a ton of work I wanna know if this looks good or if it's just laughable. Bear in mind my "skills" are limited to mashing shit together, palette swaps, and minor touch-ups.
timmyr0x0r

Post by timmyr0x0r »

Finalizer wrote:Hey dudes who are actually good at this stuff, gimme some feedback on this thing I concocted.
HLGDA1 resized.png
In my quest to have new monsters that don't look like direct copies of existing Doom monsters, I got the idea to fusion-ha the Hell Warrior and the Cybruiser into a new sprite to distance their obvious ties to the Hell Knight/BoH. The result so far is this. I'll be coming up with my own behavior for the monster when the sprites are done, but before I go doing a ton of work I wanna know if this looks good or if it's just laughable. Bear in mind my "skills" are limited to mashing shit together, palette swaps, and minor touch-ups.
It's kinda cool, but I've would have taken another head personally... maybe one with a helmet?
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

The head's mainly out of convenience, as both the head & shield come right from the Hell Warrior, and it having the same base as the Cybruiser makes it easy to merge the two together and have something that's proportionally sound and look like it's positioned correctly. I'll poke around and see if there might be some other set of sprites that'd fit in though.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Give it a sword and call it a Hell Paladin. Or something to that effect. :)
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

0bsidian wrote:Give it a sword and call it a Hell Paladin. Or something to that effect. :)
Funny thing is, he's replacing a monster I was originally using on a map I'm working on that uses a sword. I like the behavior of the monster I've currently got in place, it's just that it feels totally out of place compared to the Doom monsters by virtue of it being an edit of a Heretic monster. I MIGHT try to take the sword off it and shove it on this monster, but not only would that be difficult for me, but I fear it might defeat the purpose of this new monster in the first place (to get something that fits in better with Doom's cybernetic monstrosities theme)
Death Knight, heretic redesign I was originally using
Death Knight, heretic redesign I was originally using
DKNTA1 resized.png (4.97 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Also, I made another frame, for a shield bash melee attack.
Shield bash attack
Shield bash attack
HLGDI1 resized.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 599 times
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

I just thougt it'd be a bit strange brandishing a shield and a rocket launcher, it's not a common combination. :P

Maybe you could turn the shield into a buzzsaw or something twisted like that. Never enough buzzsaws in the Doom Repository.
Orka

Post by Orka »

Here is the military soldier... =:)
And more:
-Chaingun guy with the Hans Grosse gun
-Zombiemarine
Attachments
marinezombie.PNG
animated chaingun guy
animated chaingun guy
Boss11.gif (95.73 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Waffen SS body+Marine legs+Shotgun guy head...
Waffen SS body+Marine legs+Shotgun guy head...
edits2.PNG (10.5 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

0bsidian wrote:I just thougt it'd be a bit strange brandishing a shield and a rocket launcher, it's not a common combination. :P
Fair enough, though I'd also point out that some of Doom's combinations are already kinda silly. A giant brain on mechanical spider legs with a gun on it's crotch, skeletons with rocket launchers built into the bone, you get the idea.

Though I kinda like the Paladin slant. Maybe it could be something like, "A mighty warrior reborn as a paladin of Hell's army... Only he trades his sword for a rocket launcher!" (Well, it won't quite be a rocket launcher, but you get the idea)
0bsidian wrote:Maybe you could turn the shield into a buzzsaw or something twisted like that. Never enough buzzsaws in the Doom Repository.
Hnnngh... That'd also be tricky to pull off. But it would be fitting, and cool.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

SmarineS, everything you got is cool still head is big.
i think you need shrink head or make their body bigger, use your head! :P
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Instead of a rocket launcher, you could use one of the weapons that the Terminator uses. If I remember correctly, it's arms are edits of the cybruser's RL arm, so they should fit rather well.
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

zrrion the insect wrote:Instead of a rocket launcher, you could use one of the weapons that the Terminator uses. If I remember correctly, it's arms are edits of the cybruser's RL arm, so they should fit rather well.
Rather, one of it's arms IS the Cybruiser's arm. The other one is a sorta double-cannon thing; it's a consideration, though I'd only ever have it use the one barrel. Plus I'm imagining where the bullet belt would feed from...

For what it's worth, another reason the Cybruiser was an appealing base was that the launcher isn't necessarily a rocket launcher. It doesn't match the Doomguy's rocket launcher nor the Cyberdemon's, so it's sorta vague enough that it could be passed for something else. I plan for the projectile to be rocket-esque; it'll have some splash damage, just not nearly that of a standard rocket.

Anyway, have some animated shield bashing frames. They need some extra work, but it's something.
Name not final.
Name not final.
Death-Paladin.gif (34.08 KiB) Viewed 495 times

Return to “General”