[WIP] Unheil - A Wolfenstein inspired conversion

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lippeth

[WIP] Unheil - A Wolfenstein inspired conversion

Post by Lippeth »

Image New title pic, for now.

This is what I've been working on for the past month and a half. It's taking longer than I'd like because it's only me working on it, and I've only been editing at all for less than a year so I'm still learning how to do everything. If you think this is something worth finishing, or have any (or many) suggestions let me know, or at least tell me if I should lay it down and do something more worthwhile. I also invite anyone with spare time, ideas and desire to join this project and hopefully make something really fun!

Included in this wad are:
New weapons, borrowed from here and there, edited and re-animated
New weapon sounds, borrowed, compiled and blended for proper impact
Old and new enemies, slightly edited to fit in this world
Wolfenstein items and pickup sound effects
One and a half new maps so far

Known problems:
The trench gun will reload a single shell when out of ammo, I don't know how to fix this. FIXED thanks to Ed the Bat
The Kar98k reload animation is still in early stages Settled on for now
Map02 doesn't yet have an exit, and is barely fleshed out in all aspects.

UPDATE: Removed all non SS enemies
Added MOAR color
Cleaned up in general

The download:
unheil_alpha_a1.zip

Spoiler: Screenshots
Last edited by Lippeth on Sun May 05, 2013 1:47 am, edited 7 times in total.
FuzzballFox

Re: [WIP] Unheil - A Wolfenstein inspired conversion

Post by FuzzballFox »

I won't deny this has me very interested-
QuickShotGunman

Post by QuickShotGunman »

Ooh, a Wolfenstein mod!
Let me just dow-
Oh wait,virus.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Virus? I don't get it.
QuickShotGunman

Post by QuickShotGunman »

I have a virus on my computer, and a pretty nasty one at that.
Anyway, back on topic, this looks really cool at the moment, looking forward to other updates.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I really like the shot where the support beams make SS, looks very clever!

This looks great!
Arch

Post by Arch »

Really liked these screenshots, pretty good mapping with awesome lightning.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

You should reconsider that title screen, because the black-red-gold tricolor is strongly associated with German democracy, being the colors of the Revolution of 1848, the Weimar Republic, and the current Federal Republic. It was used only by democratic regimes To use the 1848 flag in association with Nazi Germany is pretty unpleasant if not outright offensive to anyone with the slightest knowledge of Germany and German history (both democrats and...otherwise).

If you want to use a German flag for a Nazi shooting game, use the actual Nazi flag, not the 1848 democratic flag or the 1866 imperial flag.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

good luck with this awesome
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Woolie Wool wrote:You should reconsider that title screen, because the black-red-gold tricolor is strongly associated with German democracy, being the colors of the Revolution of 1848, the Weimar Republic, and the current Federal Republic. It was used only by democratic regimes To use the 1848 flag in association with Nazi Germany is pretty unpleasant if not outright offensive to anyone with the slightest knowledge of Germany and German history (both democrats and...otherwise).

If you want to use a German flag for a Nazi shooting game, use the actual Nazi flag, not the 1848 democratic flag or the 1866 imperial flag.
Thank you, I was wondering if the title pic would be too offensive. I'll change it ASAP.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Lippeth wrote:The trench gun will reload a single shell when out of ammo, I don't know how to fix this.
Simple fix: have it check in the Ready state if there's any ammo to even use. If not, go to a state that has NOFIRE and no ALLOWRELOAD in it.

On the topic of reloading, most of these guns can also still be reloaded when their magazines are already full, which is a bit silly.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, everyone! I was worried that as soon as I said 'Wolfenstein', people would say, "Meh, no thanks".
Ed the Bat wrote:
Lippeth wrote:The trench gun will reload a single shell when out of ammo, I don't know how to fix this.
Simple fix: have it check in the Ready state if there's any ammo to even use. If not, go to a state that has NOFIRE and no ALLOWRELOAD in it.

On the topic of reloading, most of these guns can also still be reloaded when their magazines are already full, which is a bit silly.
The thing with the shotgun is that I'd rather it automatically switch to the next best weapon instead of a dry fire state, but your suggestion might be my only option.

As far as the guns that always reload, I wanted to allow the player to be able to enter any fight with a full magazine. There's nothing more annoying that shooting a couple guys, opening a door, firing one bullet and having to run away to reload. Plus the Duke Nukem style reload is way easier for me to wrap my head around than what I tried doing with the shotgun, and they automatically switch to the next best weapon when empty. I'd eventually like to convert all weapons to have secondary ammo so you can see what you're loading into each gun and how much ammo is left.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

If you want it to autoswitch, you'll need to tell the weapon not to consider its ammo as optional. And my point about the reloads is that there's no reason to put in a new magazine when it's already full. If I were to hold this MP40 and press Reload, I would keep taking the magazine out and putting it back in, even if it was already fully loaded. What's the point in that?
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Good point. I need to just not be lazy and convert them to reload like the shotgun so you're not able to spam reload. Or just remove the option altogether and leave the rest alone.

When I remove optional ammo, the gun will switch to another weapon after using what was in the magazine, regardless of how many shells you actually have. I have searched all dark corners of the internet for a solution, and I'm still looking. I have a feeling that I should've joined the ZDoom community a long time ago because I feel closer to fixing it more now than ever.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

You should be able to just use the same methods as the MP40 or the other guns here. If you still have trouble nailing it down, I'll take a crack at it for you.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”